Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell Venue Pro 8/11 with ubuntu?

Beans

Re: Dell Venue Pro 8/11 with ubuntu?

Now I seem to be reading that the Intel Atom Z3740D in the Dell venue may support 64 bit. Maybe we should try more 64 bit images?

Beans

Processor support, but UEFI not, so you need 32bit bootloader, that support to boot 64bit kernel. All distribs by default doesn't support this scheme

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

So I got one for Xmas - the Dell Venue Pro 8 and it's not that bad especially when I only paid $249 + you get office 2013 key for free. I'd still be curious to know how well Ubuntu works cause when I got the machine I had only 12GB out of 23GB left (the other are recovery partitions for the 8GB). I went and got a bluetooth keyboard for $25.00 and it works pretty good. =) Hope everyone's having a happy holidays
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11

Beans

I'm looking to get the new Dell Venue 11 Pro Core i5-4300y 1.6GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD that's here http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop...m?sku=16519771 it's 62-Bit which "could" be very promising. To me it would be one of the ultimate tablets to run Ubuntu on but can't find hardware compatibility list for the processor, graphics card, and such. With the i5-4300y Haswell processor, 8GB of RAM, a stunning 1920x1080 touch screen, switchable battery, a swift 256 Solid State Drive, and only weighing in at 1.6 pounds I would grant it as the ultimate Linux-Tablet-Box that could function as an everywhere and any time computer. I just want to make sure it will run Ubuntu before buying. I currently run Ubuntu Studio, Ubuntu, and Windows 7 on my laptop but figure that I might have to settle for only regular Ubuntu on the new Dell Venue 11 Pro Core i5-4300y 1.6GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD. I would be grateful for any opinions or advice. Much props in advance. I bow in honor!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

32-bit UEFI Support Proposed For Ubuntu Linux
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTU1NjE

New 32 bit UEFI class 3 (no CSM) Only with recompile UEFI/grub/Ubuntu
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2189855
    Packard Bell ENME69BMP InsydeH2O or Gateway LT41P04u
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I am still trying to hack away at this thing! I am very glad ubuntu is looking to support 32bit uefi! In the meantime I stumbled upon a destro that claims to have 32bit uefi support: kanotix.
    I could not get it to work but my skills are limited.
    Here is a link if anyone else wants to try. Please post successes or failures.
    http://www.kanotix.com/module-Downloads.html

Beans

hi there i have my new dell venu pro 11 and i try to install ubuntu on it from windows need help.....

Beans

Souraka, Most of us are cheap and have the Dell Venue 8 pro which has 32 bit windows with UEFI. We can't get linux on those right now because there is no destro with 32bit UEFI.

Your Dell Venue 11 pro, should be running 64 bit windows. You should be able to follow the directions here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
    and create a 64 bit UEFI Thumb drive which you can then connect to your tablet with a OTG cable.

I would strongly suggest that you choose "Try without installing" so you can check to see if the wifi and touch work. You may even need to get an multi USB adapter so you can attach a keyboard/mouse.

I don't mean to make it sound like a pain. You should have a much easier time with yours then us with the Venue 8 pro. Please post any results or questions.

Beans

Hello everyone,

I just received my Dell Venue 11 Pro Core i3. I tried to install Ubuntu 13.10 in my tablet, and I will give you my feedback here.

To install Ubuntu, I created a bootable Live-Usb key with UnetBootin. In order to boot from Usb, you have to go to the boot selection menu : press the power button, then maintain the Fn key (only if you use the Dell's keyboard) and press F12 repeatedly key until the menu appears. You can also boot from Windows advanced boot.

I recommand you to use an Usb multiplier to allow use of a mouse, and a keyboard if you did not purchased the mobile keyboard, and to have an additional Hdmi screen (see below).

In the list, select "Try Ubuntu without installing". The first thing you see after that, is a black screen. Nohting else. However, Ubuntu does work, and it is possible to display the image in an another screen, if you use the Hdmi port. That is why you should have another screen to try Ubuntu, the touchscreen always stays black. Resolution in the other screen is correctly detected, so I think the Hd Graphics 4200 is detected by Ubuntu, but his driver does not work very well. Or maybe should I configure something ?

The touchscreen seems to be recognized, it is possible to move the cursor with this. It is totally functional, if you disable the Built-in Display in System Settings > Displays (or clone the displays). But if you have the mobile keyboard, the touchpad does not work at all.

Wifi (Dell Wireless 1537) is unfortunately not recognized, you only see a 'No network device available'. If you have an Android smartphone, you can bypass this problem by sharing the smartphone connection, or you can use an Usb Wi-Fi, but it is not very practical for an ordinary use.

To continue testing, I decided to install Ubuntu in the Ssd. This step does not cause any problem, and is like any other installation (I did a dual-boot Windows-Ubuntu). Once finished, I can select with Grub which operating system to start. I tried to install the Wireless Driver (Dell Wireless 1537 downloaded from Dell) with NdisWrapper (ar6knwfx81.inf), but it did not work.

Sound is working fine.

Installing some updates (117 MB) did not fix anything.

In conclusion, Ubuntu works in Dell Venue 11 Pro, but there are some annoying issues that prevent a comfortable use for everyday, like lack of Wifi, or the permanent black screen in the touchscreen. I hope that Linux will provide a better support of this tablet soon!

I hope my description helps you (sent from my Dell Venue 11 Pro under Ubuntu). Feel free to ask me if you wish more information.

Edit: I also tried to install Debian 7.2. In order to boot Live-Usb, you have to disable Secure Boot and enable Legacy Boot. It works as bad as Ubuntu, but not worse. To have sound, you have to install PulseAudio. I noticed an interesting thing: if you use Linux 3.2.0, the built-on screen works, but not the touchscreen. And you cannot plug another screen. If you use Linux 3.11.6 (= Ubuntu 13.10's kernel) or 3.12.6 or 3.13 Rc7, you have the same screen issue, but touch works... Newer kernels do not resolve anything.

Edit 2: under Ubuntu, setting nomodeset crashes the graphic interface. But under Debian, it fixes the black screen issue, but you cannot use the Hdmi port...
    Last edited by migntom; January 12th, 2014 at 06:05 PM.

Beans

Thanks for the testimony, Migntom! I've been eyeing a Venue Pro 11 with the mobile keyboard myself but most of the feedback I could find about running Linux concerns the Venue Pro 8 rather than the 11, so it's great to see someone else who's tried it out.

Just to confirm: the Venue Pro 11 actually has 64-bit UEFI, so you were able to boot every distro you tried without having to mess around with 32-bit bootloaders? That's great, if so.

As for the video/modesetting issues, this guy (and the linked bug trackers) has been hard at work trying to fix them, and the Intel devs have chimed in, though I'm not sure if this only concerns the Baytrail (Atom) versions rather than the i3: http://www.happyassassin.net/2013/11...pro-bay-trail/. With luck it'll work better in 3.14.

The wifi is a bit of a dealbreaker, so I hope that gets sorted out soon. Can you confirm a couple more things for me?

You mentioned you had the mobile keyboard -- is that the one that has the touchpad, the hinge and the built-in battery? If so, do all of those things work when they're connected (and are they able to be hotplugged)? If so, great -- you mentioned that "the touchpad doesn't work" but I wasn't sure if you meant that the touchscreen stops responding when the mobile keyboard is connected, or if the mobile keyboard's touchpad doesn't work at all.

Also, is there any auto-rotation when the orientation is changed?

Thanks!

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast