Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to play Blu Ray disc

Beans

Question Unable to play Blu Ray disc

Help needed!
    I am unable to play blu ray movie discs. I can play DVD movie discs using VLC, just not blu ray-- so I have the libdvdcss2 installed, I use /dev/sr0 to access the dvd/bluray drive.

If I put in a blu ray movie disc and run VLC and choose to open disc, click blu ray, change the default location /dev/dvd to /dev/sr0 (what I use for playing dvds), I get an error window in VLC that says:
    Blu-Ray error:
    Path doesn't appear to be a bluray
    Your input can't be opened:
    VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///dev/sr0'. Check the log for details.

If I mount the bluray disc then repeat above, I get:
    Blu-Ray error:
    Missing AACS configuration file!

I have no idea where a log file is for VLC.
    Any tricks to try and get VLC to play blu ray discs (or some other app to play blu ray discs)?
    I am not interested in ripping blu ray, just being able to view the movies.

Beans

Re: Unable to play Blu Ray disc

Disclaimer: Check your local laws before circumventing encryption...

This should work for Ubuntu 13.10 (and probably earlier versions). You may have to turn disc menus off in VLC.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libbluray-bdj libaacs0
    mkdir ~/.config/aacs/
    cd ~/.config/aacs/ && wget http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/files/KEYDB.cfg
    Source: http://www.webupd8.org/2012/08/how-t...s-working.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post

This should work for Ubuntu 13.10 (and probably earlier versions). You may have to turn disc menus off in VLC.
    Code:
    mkdir ~/.config/aacs/
    I actually had found that method a day ago, tried it, no joy. Tried it again just now but when I try to open a blu ray disc using VLC after following the above suggestion, VLC displays these errors in a window:

Blu-Ray error:
    Blu-Ray error:
    Blu-Ray error:
    AACS Host certificate revoked.
    VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///dev/sr0'. Check the log for details

I think perhaps that KEYDB file is outdated or something.

Blu Ray playback of movies in linux appears to be a weakness of linux over windows. Of course I don't do it that often, just that it would be nice to see it be able to be done in linux (until then, i gotta keep a dual boot system with Windows 7).

Beans

To anyone who has this issue after installing the ACSS files (and has rebooted...a critcal step)...follow this process:

1. Insert Blu-Ray Movie

2. Launch VLC

3. CTRL+D to enter Disc Menu

4. Select Blu-Ray Option and check: No Menu option.

5. Under drive select browse and highlight your drive only on the left side (not the 3 folders on the right)

6. Select Play from the former "Open Media" screen.

Viola! The movie plays every time in crisp HD Blu-Ray goodness. No more Dual-Booting M$ Windows for that reason. I hope this helps anyone looking to play Blu-Rays and had the same experience outlined in this forum.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Confirm (per posting #2 and #4) this works in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (64-bit).

But only for some discs ..
    Last edited by David006; April 28th, 2014 at 09:47 AM.

Beans

I get this error:

libaacs: libaacs/mmc.c:1049: Host key / Certificate has been revoked by your drive ?
    libaacs: libaacs/mmc.c:1047: Certificate (id 0xFFFF00000064) can not be used with bus encryption capable drive
    libaacs: libaacs/aacs.c:515: Host certificate FFFF000000AE has been revoked.
    libaacs: libaacs/mmc.c:1047: Certificate (id 0xFFFF000000AE) can not be used with bus encryption capable drive
    libaacs: libaacs/aacs.c:515: Host certificate FFFF0000000C has been revoked.
    libaacs: libaacs/mmc.c:1047: Certificate (id 0xFFFF0000000C) can not be used with bus encryption capable drive
    libbluray/bluray.c:836: aacs_open() failed!
    libbluray/bdj/bdj.c:128: Opening /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/jre/lib/amd64/server/libjvm ...
    libbluray/bdj/bdj.c:342: BD-J check: Failed to load JVM library
    [0x7f2bd4003c58] libbluray demux: First play: 1, Top menu: 1
    HDMV Titles: 598, BD-J Titles: 4, Other: 4
    [0x7f2bd80009b8] main input error: open of `bluray:///dev/sr0' failed

Beans

Bingo! It works. May God blees you, restlessnomad2!
    I thought the possibility of watching Blu RAy movies on Ubuntu was an urban legend. It isn't. I followed your instructions, and - lo and behold! - I wachted an entire Blu Ray movie flawlessly. I couldn't believe my eyes! More exactly, at the beginning the subtitles seemed to be lost forever, but in a few minutes, by simply modifying the VLC settings, they suddenly appeared. And you know what? Since I auto-assembled my PC and happened to install two Blu-Ray burners (and old, yet perfectly working, Samsung Blu-Ray burner and a new Asus one), I can see the Blu Ray movies only with the Asus burner: the Samsung burner still gives an error message. On top of that, I can't watch all Blu Ray movies: some of them still give an error message. Well, I don't care. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

yes discs produced after say 2012 do not play for reasons explained here ie the AAc keys are not up to date ... ones prior to that play flawlessly and even better in XBMC than in VLC
    Last edited by shantiq; August 19th, 2014 at 10:26 AM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans

Thank you very much Temujin! I had been trying all night to get the damn thing to work. You simple script had I found it earlier would have saved me loads of time and headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post

Code:
    mkdir ~/.config/aacs/

Beans

I did all that and I still get the error message
    Blu-Ray error:
    Your system AACS decoding library does not work. Missing keys?
    VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///media/CAPT_AMERICA_WINTER_SOLDIER'. Check the log for details.

cd ~/.config/aacs/ && wget http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/files/KEYDB.cfgeven after I run this command

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast