Thread: Looking for a laptop supporting Ubuntu/other distros. Help!

Beans

Question Looking for a laptop supporting Ubuntu/other distros. Help!

Hello GNU/Linux users and fans!

I am basically a "NEW GUY" when it comes to linux in general and I would like if possible to ask you, the more experieced ones, for a little help.
    Even though I used Ubuntu 12.04 for about half a year as an everyday Desktop OS (which was great for about everything I needed) and experienced a little of Linux Puppy on the same Desktop using it as a data recovery OS, I would like to move to the Laptop side of OS-es.
    I have done a bit of research and I personally find the ideal which Linux aims for as a wonderful and bright. The stability: I love it. At least what I experienced with Ubuntu: I managed to crash it about 2 times in 6 months and that was just because I tried to see how much it can handle! ...normally I somehow manage to crash any Windows OS I lay my hands on at least twice a week without intending to do so.

I am looking forward to BUYING A LAPTOP that supports Ubuntu and other Linux based OS-es without too much trouble as I like to try various things and I would love to learn as much as possible about it. It doesn't have to be with "rocket-science" hardware, but I am aiming for a bit of performance and I hope to use it for at least a couple of years. I still don't know what to opt from: Intel or AMD processor? Is there a brand I shall look for?
    I know there are some differences between the markets, so just in case you find it useful I am in Europe.

Anything you find useful and care enough to share with me or others, I'd be grateful!
    Thanks in advance for any suggestion

Beans

Re: Looking for a laptop supporting Ubuntu/other distros. Help!

You have two best options: Zareason and System76. Both companies sell servers/desktops/laptops that are specifically tailored to run linux. Zareason will deliver your machine with your linux distro of choice pre-installed, while System76 only pre-installs Ubuntu. (but their systems will run any distro well) I have a Zareason desktop and am more than happy with it. I'll no doubt get a laptop in the near future (maybe from Santa!), and I'll definitely order from one of these two companies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

If there is one you should choose, I would say System76. It's laptops have great specs for a good price, in my opinion. And make sure you get a 64 bit. It allows for more powerful computing, in my opinion. These laptops will be advanced enough to keep you using it as long as LTS gets support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi, and welcome to this forum. You mention that you are from Europe. Like to know which country. Reason is the following, System76 computers have to be imported from USA (so import duties need to be paid), they only come with an american or british keyboards. My advice would be to look at Lenovo. There Thinkpads are exellent, build to last for many years and are "Ubuntu certified" meaning it works with Ubuntu "out of the box". Not cheap but very good machines. The Lenovo "Idea pads" also work well with linux and are cheaper. See in your country if you have a so called "Campus point". These are shops selling to everyone but gives students and all school staff great deals on lenovo and other products. Ofcourse you have to qualify (be a student) or have one order for you. I bought a Thinkpad X230 (12,5 inch screen, IPS display) and saved about 300 Euro on the normal price. (I live in Germany). Also Dell has some nice machines which works well with Linux. Check out the Dell XPS13 developer Edition which comes pre-installed with Ubuntu. You wont find this Ubuntu machine in their regular shop. You need to go to the homepage and then "business customers" to find it there. I have an 9 years old Sony Viao running Ubuntu and it also ran Ubuntu out of the box with the exception of the WiFi. ISome very friendly and helpfull people right on this forum solved that problem for me.
    Happy hunting. In the end it all comes down to personal taste and how much money you are willing to spend.
    Have a nice day.