Thread: Kindle vs Nook (e-readers, not tablets)

Beans

Kindle vs Nook (e-readers, not tablets)

I've been thinking about buying an e-reader recently and I'm not sure on which one out of the two most popular and best-reviewed e-readers I should get. The kindle seems to be the more popular one, but from what I gather the nook supports more formats out of the box and it doesn't come with ads like the regularly-priced kindle.

Any other advantages/disadvantages I should know about the two?

And if you're wondering why on earth I would rather get an e-reader than a tablet, it's because I just want a convenient way to read books without having to go to the library all the time or filling up my small apartment with a giant collection of books. Also, I have a computer and a smartphone, I really don't see the point in a tablet for me. Oh and I heard that LCD screens can trick your brain into thinking it's not ready for sleep so it keeps you awake longer, unlike e-ink displays (huge plus for me because I need my beauty sleep!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Kindle vs Nook (e-readers, not tablets)

I bought a Nook Simple Touch a couple of months ago because B&N reduced the price from £59 to £29.
    I like it, it seems to be well made and sits well in the hand. It has a micro SD slot and I put an 8GB card in it so no problems for storage. I can read outdoors in bright sunlight, the e-ink is easy on the eye.
    I did try to root it but did not succeed it was almost bricked, I had to turn it on and off seven times holding down some buttons before it did a factory reset.
    I might try that again some day.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1343143
    The wifi will only connect to the B&N store so I never switch it on, their prices are too high.

The best best thing is the Calibre software which will convert to ePub as you transfer books to the Nook. Calibre is really excellent and you must install it.
    http://calibre-ebook.com/
    For example, if you download a book from project Gutenburg it may be in text format and have no cover page. Calibre will fix that in two clicks.
    http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
    Calibre can also download news at a set time and transfer it to your reader for your commuting pleasure.

I discovered that I could borrow books remotely from my public library but it uses Adobe Digital Editions which of course will not run on Linux. This means that I have to borrow books from other sources.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have a Kobo e-reader so I can't help you with the Kindle vs Nook question. But I think you're right to look for an e-reader in preference to a tablet if you want to read a lot. I have a tablet also, with an e-reader app on it, and I don't find that at as easy on my eyes as the e-ink display: the surface of the tablet screen is more reflective than the Kobo and I find it distracting.

coldraven is right about the virtues of Calibre, it's marvellous. Besides the Project Gutenberg website he mentions, there are loads of other (legitimate) sites from where you can download free e-books in a variety of formats. Calibre can often convert them, but an e-reader that natively accepts diverse formats seems a good idea to me.

Beans

I did a little research when I got an e-reader last xmas, and eventually decided on a kindle. There's not much difference between the Nook and the Kindle, the main reason for my choice was because the kindle has (imo) the best dictionary (Oxford.) Also the Nook doesn't have a built-in web browser, but I haven't found this feature very useful; e-ink isn't great for web browsing because of the slow refresh rate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

If you plan to create any e-books of your own it would make sense to use the ePub standard. AFAIK the Kindle does not support ePub.
    See here for creating an ePub from LibreOffice:
    http://opensource.com/life/13/8/how-...pen-source-way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I use a kobo and must admit the best £20 pound I spent on e-bay. I would just go with what's on offer or even better what's cheaper on e bay.