Beans

install and run wine on ubuntu 9.04

I'm getting an error when I try to instaal wine in ubuntu 9.04 :

root@henk-desktop:/# apt-get install wine
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package wine

And I did edit the sources.list with the two needed lines !
    Can anybody help me out ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: install and run wine on ubuntu 9.04

Running a dead-and-buried version like 9.04 is not good, and running WINE on top of it makes you a sitting duck. Last but not least, activating the root account is not good either.

I've skimmed back through your old threads and I suspect that almost all of your problems would go away if you just burned a DVD or USB of an up-to-date version like 12.04.3 and ran/installed that instead. Currently, you are confined to archive repositories, can't get updates (they're not just for security--they also squash bugs that may be plaguing you), and have largely cut yourself off from help because most of us can't remember back that far (2009 is equivalent of 40 years ago in IT time). You are making this far harder on yourself than you have to.

We have no idea what your HW is. You may wish to list it if you want effective advice. Given the data vacuum, I would suggest Xubuntu 12.04. Wine would then be available from a current and maintained repo. So would everything else that you've recently twisted yourself into knots trying to install.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Did you run apt-get update after modifying your sources list? You need to run apt-get update to fetch the list of packages from the "new" repositories you added.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    Running a dead-and-buried version like 9.04 is not good, and running WINE on top of it makes you a sitting duck. Last but not least, activating the root account is not good either.
    This and, while reasonable on a supported system, not this in your situation:

Quote Originally Posted by inclusivedisjunction View Post
    Did you run apt-get update after modifying your sources list? You need to run apt-get update to fetch the list of packages from the "new" repositories you added.
    No point. 9.04 repositories no longer exist. Install a supported release. 9.04 expired in October of 2010 and you are a galaxy behind. The further behind you get the less chance of fixing problems, and yes, as far as security goes you are well vulnerable, especially chucking Wine in, if that is possible.

As you appear to like sticking with a release for a long time, I suggest 12.04 LTS, stable and supported until April 2017.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Hankbonk View Post

And I did edit the sources.list with the two needed lines !
    Can anybody help me out ?
    Though I wholeheartedly agreed with Duckhook and Bucky Ball that an upgrade to a supported release is the easiest road.

My curiosity got the better of me and wonders what two lines you were suppose to add/edit?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    My curiosity got the better of me and wonders what two lines you were suppose to add/edit?
    +1. Pray tell ...