Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Ridiculously easy home file sharing with FTP and Zeroconf

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Talking Re: HOWTO Ridiculously easy home file sharing with FTP and Zeroconf

Dyssident thanks for the awsome guide. I'm now sharing files between the gaming computer in my home office and the media center computer in my living room. I'm running Ubuntu Feisty on both of my machines. Like Depressed Man who posted above I also have FTP Share 1 and FTP Share 2, but I'm guessing thats okay since everything seems to be working properly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HOWTO Ridiculously easy home file sharing with FTP and Zeroconf

Dyssident, I love you. I really, really love you. I've been trying to share files across my local wireless network (ubiquitous Linksys router) for the longest, and it seemed like I was never going to get this to work. And then I saw your howto. Both my desktop and laptop are running Ubuntu 7.04, and after following your instructions to the letter, I am sharing files between my computers like a pro. Mad kudos to you.

In appreciation,
    Heresjohnny
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    --Albert Einstein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I just keep getting kicked back to the login dialog, I know I have the right hostname and user/password, it just won't take! Any ideas? *waiting for the truly simple gui method*

also, if I just can't get this to work, do I need to somehow clean up/reset all the stuff I did, before I try some other method?

-mike
    Last edited by mikeize; October 12th, 2007 at 10:47 PM.
    Intel Core2duo 4400, 2ghz -- Intel DP965LT motherboard, onboard sound -- nVidia 8500GT (from MSI) 256MB -- 2gig ram

Beans

For the ZeroConf protocol, I'd recommend an even better solution: the CrossFTP Server and CrossFTP Client. They both support the Bonjour (ZeroConf), and they are quite easy to use and of good quality, so that even beginners can set up everything easily in 5 minutes. Here are some tutorials:

Beans

Thanks ever so for the instructions, worked like a charm once I really followed them (lol). Off to try connecting my g4 this way.

Cart
    Retired and loving it
    life is a hell of a thing to happen to a human being

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Excuse my noobness, but what about filezilla? Doesn't filezilla do all of this? Is it necessary to take all of the steps described in this how-to? Or does a program like filezilla take care of things?

I've been looking for a home network/file transfer solution for some time now but I can't seem to find something that is easy (I'm a linux noob), preferably gui-based, secure. I'm shying away from setting up Samba (because of how involved it is... I don't want to screw up my machine) and leaning towards some sort of FTP solution.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Beans

I've followed the instructions to seup my Ubuntu 7.04 desktop as the vsftp server. I don't see the vsftp server when using the Safari/Bonjour instruction on my macbook? The gnome instruction works fine from my Ubuntu 7.10 laptop. Do I need to do something more on the macbook? I can find it with Finder, and interestingly, if I type in the ftp://ip.address of the server in the Safari address bar, it starts Firefox (which is also installed on the macbook), and Firefox displays the folders on the server.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by elgilicious View Post
    Ok, I've done all of the steps, but I still can't connect to my other computer.

On my desktop, I'm emones-homePC
    On my laptop, I'm emones-laptop

I want to connect TO my desktop FROM my laptop. What information do I enter, and where?
    I was having trouble also, but instead of entering hostname.local i entered the ip of the computer i wanted to connect to and so far it works great.

Beans

Re: Setting up Firestarter for Avahi

It is most commonly suggested to insert the following rules into the file /etc/firestarter/user-pre.
    Code:
    $IPT -A INPUT  -p udp --dport 5353 -d 244.0.0.251 -j ACCEPT
    $IPT -A OUTPUT -p udp --dport 5353 -d 244.0.0.251 -j ACCEPT
    These did NOT work for me in Firestarter v1.03, in Ubuntu 6.10 or 6.06.

The following DOES work for me in Firestarter v1.03, in both Ubuntu 6.10 and 6.06 LTS:-
    Code:
    $ sudo -s
    # cd /etc/firestarter
    # chmod +w user-pre
    # vi user-pre
    Add the lines:-
    $IPT -A INPUT  -s 224.0.0.0/8 -d 0/0 -j ACCEPT
    $IPT -A OUTPUT -s 224.0.0.0/8 -d 0/0 -j ACCEPT
    $IPT -A INPUT  -d 224.0.0.0/8 -s 0/0 -j ACCEPT
    $IPT -A OUTPUT -d 224.0.0.0/8 -s 0/0 -j ACCEPT
    # chmod -w user-pre
    Credit for these rules to Mike Pepe on the firestarter-user.lists.sourceforge.net see:-
    HTML Code:
    http://ml.osdir.com/security.firewalls.firestarter.user/2006-04/msg00017.html

Beans

Re: Setting up Firestarter for Avahi

i did it a while ago, now i was all desperate, but looking @ my .bash-history on one computer i found some commands wich lead me here again... I'm not letting go now....

seriously is very frustrating....I just can't believe is not included by default in ubuntu.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast