Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trusty screensaver in Flashback

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Trusty screensaver in Flashback

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    To really "save" my screen it goes to black after the set time period. If you have something running, you're not "saving" the screen.

Now if you just want to have a pretty picture there should be a 14.04 ability to do that after a set time period of inactivity. Displaying something might be pleasing but it's not saving the screen.

Does the "inactivity" just mean no keyboard activity?
    Not really sure what you are asking. Read the bug mentioned in the first post. It should explain what the whole issue is about.

Inactivity would mean no keyboard/mouse activity for a certain period of time. The gnome-session-screensaver that is a dependency of gnome-session-flashback is not a screensaver but a lock that does not totally black out the screen. It just shows a black screen with date/time and some other stuff displayed at the top of the screen forever till the cows come home.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If anyone is interested in having xscreensaver working with Trusty, I just updated the 1st post with what I found will work.
    I had been battling this for a while and could not get it to work but all is good now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    If anyone is interested in having xscreensaver working with Trusty, I just updated the 1st post with what I found will work.
    I had been battling this for a while and could not get it to work but all is good now.
    I'm interested

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I'm interested
    Good deal! I thought you said you didn't like screensavers.

One more thing I forgot to add was I made gnome-screensaver unexecutable with this command sudo chmod -x /usr/bin/gnome-screensaver just to make double sure because it respawns on it's own.
    This might make the 1st script moot but, I'm leaving it in there because I want to make double sure that gnome-screensaver is indeed not alive when xscreensaver starts.

I'll add this to the first post.
    Last edited by Cavsfan; January 11th, 2014 at 02:50 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Forgot to mention that upon bootup this morning this method (in post 1) did work. If you boot up and do not touch any key or move the mouse for 10 minutes xscreensaver will kick in.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Good deal! I thought you said you didn't like screensavers.

One more thing I forgot to add was I made gnome-screensaver unexecutable with this command sudo chmod -x /usr/bin/gnome-screensaver just to make double sure because it respawns on it's own.
    This might make the 1st script moot but, I'm leaving it in there because I want to make double sure that gnome-screensaver is indeed not alive when xscreensaver starts.

I'll add this to the first post.
    Well, I maintain an ever larger number of computers and some of the most recent users still have old CRT monitors

I'll certainly be trying to get them upgraded but I'm not sitting on a gold mine

So it should be easy to switch from gnome-screensaver to xscreensaver if the user wishes to.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Well, I maintain an ever larger number of computers and some of the most recent users still have old CRT monitors

I'll certainly be trying to get them upgraded but I'm not sitting on a gold mine

So it should be easy to switch from gnome-screensaver to xscreensaver if the user wishes to.
    Good deal. I have an LCD monitor and I still like a good screensaver to kick in after say 10 minutes.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by filter1102 View Post
    Thanks but, that email was previously noted. We're waiting on one that says "final release" I believe. But, that will be good when it happens!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There is new gnome-panel version which will allow to remove gnome-screensaver without removing gnome-flashback-session, but for now I would suggest to keep it installed. New version is missing one more fix, without that fix gnome flashback session will fail to start without gnome-screensaver.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by albertsmuktupavels View Post
    There is new gnome-panel version which will allow to remove gnome-screensaver without removing gnome-flashback-session, but for now I would suggest to keep it installed. New version is missing one more fix, without that fix gnome flashback session will fail to start without gnome-screensaver.
    Thanks for the reply Alberts! I seen that in the change log that gnome-screensaver was moved to from Depends to Recommends. Sweet!

But, like you mention I'll leave it installed until I hear back that is OK to uninstall. And I'll leave my work around in place.
    Last edited by Cavsfan; January 12th, 2014 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Misspelled Alberts name.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast