Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trusty screensaver in Flashback

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Trusty screensaver in Flashback

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I've had very little trouble with Flashback w/Metacity so you must be doing something wrong.
    Agreed. But when you're as noob as I it is difficult to know what you're doing wrong. Nonetheless, I shall persevere.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PJs Ronin View Post
    Agreed. But when you're as noob as I it is difficult to know what you're doing wrong. Nonetheless, I shall persevere.
    I'm having to learn some new tricks myself:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12890035

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by PJs Ronin View Post
    I can 'me too' this comment. I can't get Gnome Flashback working with either compiz or metacity so the discussion about screensavers is, for me, moot. I do have Gnome Shell working so I may fiddle with the screensaver in that and see how I go.
    I guess messing with screensavers would be moot for you as well. The bug is about Flashback when installed has a dependency of gnome-screensaver.
    So as in previous Ubuntu versions many places recommend as one of the first things you do is to purge gnome-screensaver,
    which is not actually a screensaver and is no longer maintained and install Xscreensaver, which is a nice screensaver with many options and is being maintained.
    The ability to use Flashback and have a working screensaver was taken away with Saucy and has been carried on into Trusty.

So, when I seen that it is going to be fixed I was thrilled.

You really shouldn't expect anyone to take you serious using blurbs like highlighted above.

Of course you won't see the upcoming change until it's marked "fix released"!

Patience is a virtue
    My bad. Ventrical used Lunity one time referring to Unity and it just stuck. I kind of like that term.

BTW, for all of you who do not use Cairo Dock, how do you get the notification when a system restart is required after a software update?
    My logout icon in Cairo Dock puts out a message that a system restart is required.

Usually it's after I see update-initramfs but not always. Sometimes a restart is required and sometimes it is not. So, I rely on Cairo Dock to tell me.
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.84Ghz. 4.0GB DDR2 RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GT

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    I guess messing with screensavers would be moot for you as well. The bug is about Flashback when installed has a dependency of gnome-screensaver.
    So as in previous Ubuntu versions many places recommend as one of the first things you do is to purge gnome-screensaver,
    which is not actually a screensaver and is no longer maintained and install Xscreensaver, which is a nice screensaver with many options and is being maintained.
    The ability to use Flashback and have a working screensaver was taken away with Saucy and has been carried on into Trusty.

So, when I seen that it is going to be fixed I was thrilled.

My bad. Ventrical used Lunity one time referring to Unity and it just stuck. I kind of like that term.

BTW, for all of you who do not use Cairo Dock, how do you get the notification when a system restart is required after a software update?
    My logout icon in Cairo Dock puts out a message that a system restart is required.

Usually it's after I see update-initramfs but not always. Sometimes a restart is required and sometimes it is not. So, I rely on Cairo Dock to tell me.
    AFAIK update-notifications and restart-notifications are handled the same as Saucy:

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.p...0&d=1385371191

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.p...1&d=1385371191

But I can't be certain because I've been using synaptic which I think breaks that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

AFAIK update-notifications and restart-notifications are handled the same as Saucy:

But I can't be certain because I've been using synaptic which I think breaks that.
    Synaptic does break the notification no matter what DE you are using. On the other hand, if you are using synaptic, instead of the Software Centre, or Software Updater, you are more than likely aware of when your system needs a restart.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I like how Cairo Dock does the job of notifying me when I need to restart as it is always very clear.

Even after you see the words pop up saying you must restart after the updates, you can hover your mouse over the logout icon in Cairo Dock and it will tell you to restart.
    No wondering needed.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    I like how Cairo Dock does the job of notifying me when I need to restart as it is always very clear.
    I also find that helpful, But I really dislike the notifications about newly installed apps(Open this new application)
    But I must like the dock because I keep using it. Just my 2 cents worth.LOL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by runrickus View Post
    I also find that helpful, But I really dislike the notifications about newly installed apps(Open this new application)

Ditto from me too, and yes that notification thingie can get quite annoying

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by runrickus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazzabin View Post
    Ditto from me too, and yes that notification thingie can get quite annoying
    That is indeed annoying especially when you install a bunch of new updates. It asks so many times do you want to open this, blah blah blah?
    I just let it go until it's finished updating and then click the x to make it go away.
    I searched for a way to disable these notifications but could not find anything worthwhile.

That would be nice to turn off those notifications.

I seen something about using notify-send to do it but, didn't see a clear explanation of how.

Beans
    Distro

To really "save" my screen it goes to black after the set time period. If you have something running, you're not "saving" the screen.

Now if you just want to have a pretty picture there should be a 14.04 ability to do that after a set time period of inactivity. Displaying something might be pleasing but it's not saving the screen.

Does the "inactivity" just mean no keyboard activity?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast