Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trusty screensaver in Flashback

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!

Trusty screensaver in Flashback

I'm surprised that there are not more people wanting to login to Gnome Flashback and have a working screensaver. You cannot unistall gnome-screensaver because it is a dependency for gnome-session-flashback.
    This was the common practice after the initial install of other Ubuntu versions: uninstall gnome-screensaver, install xscreensaver and add it to your startup applications.

This problem was introduced with Saucy and persists in Trusty.

If you want a working screensaver in flashback add your name to this bug.

Here is what you need in Trusty:
    1) Add this to a text file:
    PHP Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    sleep 180
    killall gnome
    -screensaver 
    2) Then save it in your home directory as /home/cavsfan/killscreensaver.sh (of course substituting your username with cavsfan).
    3) Enter sudo chmod +x /home/cavsfan/killscreensaver.sh to make it executable.
    4) Enter sudo chown root:root /home/cavsfan/killscreensaver.sh to make it owned by root.
    5) Add /home/cavsfan/killscreensaver.sh to your startup programs.

6) Add this to another text file:
    PHP Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    sleep 240
    xscreensaver 
    -no-splash 
    7) Then save it in your home directory as /home/cavsfan/xscreensaver-start.sh (of course substituting your username with cavsfan).
    * this script must not be owned by root or the screensaver will not start.
    8) Add /home/cavsfan/xscreensaver-start.sh to your startup programs.
    9) Make gnome-screensaver unexecutable with this command sudo chmod -x /usr/bin/gnome-screensaver just to make double sure.

I've tried many combinations and many did not work but the above appears to work OK.
    I even entered sudo killall gnome-screensaver in terminal and it killed it but it re-spawned back to life somehow.
    It is set to kill gnome-screensaver after 3 minutes because it doesn't start for a while and anything less will not work.
    Then it starts xscreensaver after 4 minutes and it cannot be started before gnome-screensaver is killed or it will not start.
    I logged out and back in and this worked. Haven't tried rebooting but, that should do.
    Last edited by Cavsfan; February 8th, 2014 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Problem resolved.
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.84Ghz. 4.0GB DDR2 RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 9800 GT

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Trusty screensaver in Flashback

Received an email this morning that this dependency will be fixed and will be in the next upload.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...l/+bug/1199074

Beans
    Hidden!

Now I noticed that the email was about Saucy. Have to wait and see if it gets to Trusty but I imagine it will.

Beans

I subscribed, me too'ed, and added the trusty tag along with a comment.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...074/comments/7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

There probably would be more people trying, if they are like me I still have NOT been successful in getting 'Flashback' with or without whatever

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzabin View Post
    There probably would be more people trying, if they are like me I still have NOT been successful in getting 'Flashback' with or without whatever
    But you're talking about Flashback w/compiz:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...2#post12887102

It's been discussed that we should drop "flashback" for compiz although no decision has been made.

What's needed by Edubuntu for it's LTSP installs is only flashback w/metacity

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I subscribed, me too'ed, and added the trusty tag along with a comment.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...074/comments/7
    I got into Saucy and the update wasn't there. Guess maybe tomorrow. I had added that it affects Trusty already but didn't tag it so that is good.
    I had also added my workaround. A script that killed gnome-screensaver which let Xscreensaver work. If gnome-screensaver was still running Xscreensaver could not work.
    Xscreensaver is the only one I am aware of that is being kept up to date and is also in the regular repositories. I'm happy with it as there are many choices.
    I have mine set to Piecewise which I like.

I have only been in Lunity long enough to install the necessary components gnome-session-flashback needs and then I got into Flashback.
    Only after I heard Kansasnoob mention flashback with compiz and flashback with metacity did I notice they had changed.

I only use flashback with compiz and it's been running smooth as silk for a long time now.

I am working from an ISO that was created a while back.

Code:
    cavsfan@cavsfan-MS-7529:~$ ls -ld /var/log/installer | awk '{ print $6 " " $7 " " $8 }'
    Nov 24 10:51
    About the only thing that works in the indicator-applet-complete (the top right button on the top panel) is suspend, but it works very well.
    I have Cairo Dock running along with the cube and the whole nine yards. Even got Emerald window decorator installed.

Have to use Cairo Dock to logout, restart, etc. but I don't mind. It's just like Saucy was/is.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I can 'me too' this comment. I can't get Gnome Flashback working with either compiz or metacity so the discussion about screensavers is, for me, moot. I do have Gnome Shell working so I may fiddle with the screensaver in that and see how I go.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PJs Ronin View Post
    I can 'me too' this comment. I can't get Gnome Flashback working with either compiz or metacity so the discussion about screensavers is, for me, moot. I do have Gnome Shell working so I may fiddle with the screensaver in that and see how I go.
    I've had very little trouble with Flashback w/Metacity so you must be doing something wrong.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by filter1102 View Post
    Thanks but, that email was previously noted. We're waiting on one that says "final release" I believe. But, that will be good when it happens!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast