Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Desktop In The Enterprise: Ubuntu Vs. Windows

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Lightbulb Linux Desktop In The Enterprise: Ubuntu Vs. Windows

Interesting look at Ubuntu's possibilities.
    Now, with shrinking technology budgets and rising Microsoft licensing fees, it's time for IT to seriously consider desktop Linux deployment as an alternative to Windows. The timing for this couldn't be better: Windows 8.1 was just released, as was the latest version of Ubuntu, 13.10. Windows XP has just five months of support left, so companies need to make the switch to something new. Ubuntu may just have what companies need to support their desktop OS needs. I'll look at various considerations for making the Linux desktop switch, including training and support, as well as potential complications.
    http://www.networkcomputing.com/data...tu-v/240163564
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Linux Desktop In The Enterprise: Ubuntu Vs. Windows

Licensing costs are only one small piece of the overall costs organizations pay for IT. The other costs will remain much the same regardless of platform.

That said, any change in the Microsoft universe ought to prompt another look at the potential of Linux for any organization. I suspect many organizations that use unique purpose-built software that runs on Windows would not be enthused about paying to have it ported to Linux, if that's actually possible. They'll swallow the cheaper MS costs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Moved to U,L & OS chat.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    I suspect many organizations that use unique purpose-built software that runs on Windows would not be enthused about paying to have it ported to Linux, if that's actually possible. They'll swallow the cheaper MS costs.
    Agreed. That could be the most siginificant show stopper, but it's positive that people are becoming less "Windows minded" and (at least) considering Linux as an alternative in this field ..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Most organizations don't really use "unique purpose-built software". They use an office suite and an accounting package. Of course, a startup that needs to build unique purpose-built software can find that easier to do using Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by llanitedave View Post
    Most organizations don't really use "unique purpose-built software". They use an office suite and an accounting package. Of course, a startup that needs to build unique purpose-built software can find that easier to do using Linux.
    It isn't a numbers game, Many organizations and professions use software created or modified to meet their specific needs. That's an incentive to stay with the platform that software runs on.

There's a lot more going on in the world than mundane tasks that can be done by Office.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    It isn't a numbers game, Many organizations and professions use software created or modified to meet their specific needs. That's an incentive to stay with the platform that software runs on.
    +1

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm always amused by the lack of attention to training costs in arguments about switching to Linux. Organizations can leverage their employees' existing experience with Windows; putting people in front of a Linux desktop is going to require retraining. People who post on boards like this rarely think about training because they are generally comfortable with computing in general and can adapt to a changing desktop. I've known people at clients' sites who would claim they could no longer do their jobs because an icon was no longer on their desktops or was moved to a different location. You all may laugh, but this is the reality in many offices.

Windows 8 offers some leverage for Linux advocates because it looks so different from earlier versions that it would require training as well. Not surprisingly, lots of organizations have yet to move from Win7 or even WinXP for that very reason.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Windows 8 offers some leverage for Linux advocates because it looks so different from earlier versions that it would require training as well. Not surprisingly, lots of organizations have yet to move from Win7 or even WinXP for that very reason.
    yes besides there are plenty windows like Linux options. and one could theme it liek windows. there are a few interesting articles abotu major migrations. where everyone thought how it iwll be difficult to move but in the end it was suprisinlg easy (i mean form users point of view).

btw the apps i use:
    SAP (ERP) - this one has linux version AFAIK
    office (only word, excel and power point) and outlook - both have good if not better alternatives
    Lync IM client - we have plenty of those in linux as well
    browser - we use IE for web B2B catalogs, but it's giving us problem lately since some "smart" people designed our websites that work only on IE, yet these are problem with some new IE versions, and another issue is that mero and more cusotmers are using android/ipad tablets and other browsers (Chrome/Firefox)

there are a few old DOS apps keeping some ancient database we very occasioanlly need (i am sure those would work in dosbox)

and that's about it. we also use sharepoint (there are good OS alternatives) and a digital archive app, that i think was made using one of familiar program languages (at least it uses icons from KDE and one or two from gnome) so chances are it is made either in python or somethign similar. too many opensource features are included and look and feel is familiar to KDE programes.

i also do some b2b offers and i like them to look good. don't have much design skills but occasionally i like to toy arround and make it look presentable. so i had them install Inkscape and Gimp they dont' make any problems with opensource programmes. in fact if they are good they usualyl try to replace proprietary ones. at least something.

they said they test linux every year btu so far it hasn't worked well for them to justify the switch. they never explained exactly what is the issue.

i think something solid such as Red Hat or SUSE EL maybe even Ubuntu LTS would do quite OK.

new mashcines we get are win 7 preinstalled :-/
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I'm always amused by the lack of attention to training costs in arguments about switching to Linux. Organizations can leverage their employees' existing experience with Windows; putting people in front of a Linux desktop is going to require retraining. People who post on boards like this rarely think about training because they are generally comfortable with computing in general and can adapt to a changing desktop. I've known people at clients' sites who would claim they could no longer do their jobs because an icon was no longer on their desktops or was moved to a different location. You all may laugh, but this is the reality in many offices.
    Hi,
    I run a small business and we switch for Ubuntu! Way? Because if we continue with windows we have to invest +- 5000€ betwen Hardware to run the new versions of Windows and the upgrade of existent licencs from XP > W7 or W8 + Antivirus + Windows server.

Soo whats was the problems? The specific software we use. Solution : Virtual machines with xp only to run that programs.

We have 2 persones with more then 50 years and the adaptation work ok, they don't complain much (only when they have to upgrade the VM kernels). We subscribe a paid license of Zentyal to have assistence on the server side and thats it.

Soo for us, Ubuntu was the solution, and we use Unity. I can tell you from my experience that the staff (except one personne that prefers OSX) are satisfied.

My problem is the specific software, SAP is not a solution because is to expencive, and the software house that make the programs that we need, don't wana port the software to Linux.

My experience, about more then a year on Linux (almost everithing)
    Regards
    Miguel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast