Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Upgrading from Kubuntu 7.10 to 8.04 page might contain error

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Upgrading from Kubuntu 7.10 to 8.04 page might contain error

plop boot manager can be installed on CD or DVD or even floppy.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I burned Macpup on a DVD and booted through it. It booted just fine. However, I am not able to connect to Internet using my wireless USB stick. It also seems to be needing the DVD every time to boot (I don't prefer this). This is similar to Damn Small Linux I had tried long back.

I am really short on time now and will have to move away from the old hardware for at least 3-4 months. The plop boot manager looks good and I will try it next time I can lay my hands on this old hardware. I hope I can put the plop boot manager along with one click install and various ISOs on a single CD/DVD.

The idea of replacing Win XP with Lubuntu with single click install is good. To attract more users to it, I suggest to have a short and long version of the documentation. Many users might turn away by looking at the extensive documentation which is vast and might confuse people.

Thanks for all the assistance provided

Meanwhile Ubuntu 13.10 (and also 13.04) detects my wireless USB stick (Kubuntu 7.10 is also able detect it most of the times). I checked the 12.04 liveCD on my new hardware. Through live CD at least I am having trouble connecting to the Internet (can't recall whether detection through hard disk was working for 12.04).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi macpup i386 uses a cd and will boot live from the cd then from the menu go to setup and pick the universal installer to put it on your hard drive. after macpup has bwen copyed to the hard drive run first run setup from menu,setup,quicksetup first-run settings this will finish your setup and copy a srs file to your hard drive that will let you remove the cd so the drive can be used for music etc. tthe only problem I have with mac pup is it dosent come preconfigured with flash player and you need to manualy install it. puppy 5.7 comes with this file already enabled.
    Last edited by leeper69; November 9th, 2013 at 06:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks. I am able to connect to Internet with my wireless USB through Macpup. The following link helped.
    http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/open...ppy-linux.html

I selected "Full install" (instead of recommended frugal install) as the same partition as Kubuntu 7.10 (edited /boot/grub/menu.lst to include Macpup entry as directed). However, it is not able to boot (throws up command prompt with errors). Thankfully I can still boot into Win XP and Kubuntu 7.10. Trying to figure out how to wipe out Win XP and install Macpup properly (first I want to overwrite Kubuntu 7.10 to check whether it is working properly through hard disk).

Beans
    Distro

It seems grub is not able to load macpup properly even with Frugal (getting "Error2: invalid file or directory").

I reformatted an extended partition (earlier FAT32) with ext3 (/dev/sda7). I did a frugal install in this partition. I edited the /boot/grub/menu.lst (in /dev/sda3 which has Kubuntu 7.10) with the necessary entry displayed by macpup at the end of installation.

Somehow it is not able to boot into macpup.

Beans
    Distro

Selecting frugal with same partition as Kubuntu 7.10 worked. Though during first shutdown, I saved the personal file to /dev/sda7 (which i had created for macpup). For now I will refrain from kill any other OS till I get used to macpup.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by amitst View Post
    I am really short on time now and will have to move away from the old hardware for at least 3-4 months. The plop boot manager looks good and I will try it next time I can lay my hands on this old hardware. I hope I can put the plop boot manager along with one click install and various ISOs on a single CD/DVD.

The idea of replacing Win XP with Lubuntu with single click install is good. To attract more users to it, I suggest to have a short and long version of the documentation. Many users might turn away by looking at the extensive documentation which is vast and might confuse people.
    Thanks for the feedback

There are different kinds and levels of documentation already, but I see your point, and I will try to make something shorter, that will not turn many users away.

By the way, right now I am developing the One Button Installer (OBI) according to feedback from other users. The default compression will be xz, mkusb will be the main tool to install the OBI and above all, giving the user a convenient way to download new tarballs via an entry in the main menu of the OBI.

When the usage is simplified, the instructions can be shorter and simpler too, or at least a short version can be enough for many users.

TenPlus1 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Bodhi Linux 2.4.0 is a great distro to try on your older hardware since it's made for low spec pc's and built using ubuntu 12.04 LTS repo's...

Grab the non-pae edition for your setup and burn .iso to a bootable CD: http://www.bodhilinux.com/downloads_desktop.php

Beans
    Distro

Thanks TenPlus1 for the advice. For now I have put Macpup on the old hardware and it seems to be working fine. Video player is running perfect. Firefox is taking couple of minutes to start. But overall the system seems to be usable.

I have moved away from the old hardware so can't try out anything further for now.

I will give One button installer a try (also the plop boot manager) next time I come across any older hardware.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123