Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Buggy Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Buggy Ubuntu

I'm starting to collect a list of problems that I can confirm happen on more than one computer:

1. Suspend doesn't work anymore. Come on! Really? I thought we left this crap behind many years ago. Suspend the box - then wake it up and things are just... wonky - crashy - unuseable. Have to reboot to fix. So I shut the boxes down and reboot instead. Annoying.

2. When I upgraded there was no top panel clock. I Googled and found how to put one with CLI. It was fine for a couple days. Today I look up to see what time it is and... no clock. WTF? Why did it go away? (Hmm... This might be only on my main machine. Haven't confirmed it on a second box. Could be because of upgrade instead of fresh install.) EDIT: After another restart it's back.

There are more, but I don't have them memorized yet. I'll have to start taking notes when strangeness happens. Some are just annoyances, like Nautilus being ruined, and Nemo being very good but not quite ready yet. Or Palimpsest being castrated of most of its useful features (not Ubuntu's fault, but still annoying).
    Last edited by futz2; November 15th, 2013 at 06:43 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hattpa View Post
    Moral of this is : LTS = Debian Testing = Pretty damn stable

Interim releases = Debian unstable = Likely to be buggy

If you need or want a stable system, stick with LTS, if you're happy to play around under the hood a lot, then go with the interims.
    +1. Absolutely, and I wish more users would keep this in mind.

The other option if you want stability and fiddling fun (that doesn't sound right!) or to help out testing, and what I do myself, is to have the LTS as your main, stable squeeze and a couple of spare partitions for installing 'playthings'; i.e. interim releases and other distros/flavours. I don't/can't/won't go near the interims for my main install, especially now they are only supported for nine months. I consider them testing, even after release.

My tuppence worth.

(Before anyone jumps in with '13.10 works great for me', that's great, you must have the ideal hardware for it, but there are plenty of others who don't and for them the bugs may not be ironed before the next LTS, 14.04, is released next April.)
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; November 15th, 2013 at 05:21 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by charlieprime View Post
    I spent two hours trying to install ffmpeg from Jon Severinsson's PPA, but gave up when my cost:benefit ratio for the week began to go upside-down.
    Another alternative is to download a Linux build of ffmpeg. It's standalone so it won't interfere with anything. Just download, extract, and execute (notice the ./ before ffmpeg):
    Code:
    wget http://ffmpeg.gusari.org/static/32bit/ffmpeg.static.32bit.$(date +"%F").tar.gz
    tar xzvf ffmpeg.static.32bit.$(date +"%F").tar.gz
    ./ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -codec:a libmp3lame -qscale:a 4 -vn output.mp3
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; November 15th, 2013 at 08:01 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    +1. Absolutely, and I wish more users would keep this in mind.
    Almost sounds like you're blaming the user.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Deleted
    Last edited by OrangeCrate; February 17th, 2014 at 09:30 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234