Thread: Can't boot Ubuntu after Windows install

Beans

Can't boot Ubuntu after Windows install

OK, I have installed Ubuntu first and then Win 7, and after that I don't get dual boot option. The system automatically loads Windows like it is the only OS.

I want to have dual boot with Ubuntu and Windows 7, how do i do that?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Can't boot Ubuntu after Windows install

Boot-Repair should fix that. It's a common problem.

Beans

I tried boot repair, but this is what I get:

1) "LDM-blocker detected. Please backup your data before this operation. Do you want to continue?" - I clicked yes

2) "LDM-blocker detected. This will delete the 6th sector of sda. Do you want to continue?" - I clicked no. That sounds scary. After that rebooted, nothing changed, only Windows.

Can I just reinstall Ubuntu as I don't have anything important there? Will then I get dual boot option?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

That's not very common, but I found this post, which isn't very old: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2102460

If it doesn't help, did boot-repair give a link with a summary? Also, does Windows use dynamic partitions? It's something we don't like when using Ubuntu, but Windows is often very eager about using dynamic partitions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by macakcira View Post
    I tried boot repair, but this is what I get:

1) "LDM-blocker detected. Please backup your data before this operation. Do you want to continue?" - I clicked yes

2) "LDM-blocker detected. This will delete the 6th sector of sda. Do you want to continue?" - I clicked no. That sounds scary. After that rebooted, nothing changed, only Windows.

Can I just reinstall Ubuntu as I don't have anything important there? Will then I get dual boot option?
    See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...2/+bug/1061255

Workaround #3 is probably the one you want
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

OK, now I'm writing you from Linux. I have reinstalled it and now I have dual boot options. That boot repair is some scary thing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by macakcira View Post
    OK, now I'm writing you from Linux. I have reinstalled it and now I have dual boot options. That boot repair is some scary thing.
    isnt boot repair - its a bug in grub
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.