Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Web Browser - what's that?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu Web Browser - what's that?

I have just run the updates for today (sunday 3rd Nov) and I got something called Ubuntu Web Browser. It is described as
    a lightweight web browser for Ubuntu based on the WebKit rendering engine and using Ubuntu UI components
    And there it is in the Dash. Search for Browser. I am posting from it now. Do not expect too much. It does not render this forum as it should. I have lost the formatting options at the top of the box used to type a post.It does not have sliders or scroll bars. Nor a back button or an address panel. Perhaps this is a secure web browser for accessing Ubuntu sites only. May be it is part of Convergence. An application from the Phablet platform.

The moderators should try this browser out and see how it works or not with this forum.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Ubuntu Web Browser - what's that?

I'll see if it turns up for me when I update shortly.

But I doubt I'll see it without actually installing it.

Edit - thought so
    Last edited by Elfy; November 3rd, 2013 at 02:17 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It uses Ubuntu UI components. So how will it look and work under Xubuntu? That's a good question, yes? It is definitely not rendering the forum in the way we expect. It is rendering my own posts as a single paragraph and not with the blank lines I am putting there.

And the top tips over thread titles do not appear.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; November 3rd, 2013 at 02:18 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    It uses Ubuntu UI components. So how will it look and work under Xubuntu? That's a good question, yes? It is definitely not rendering the forum in the way we expect. It is rendering my own posts as a single paragraph and not with the blank lines I am putting there.

And the top tips over thread titles do not appear.
    Well it looks like this - a bit empty of anything that you can't get to from the Ubuntu tabs at the top

Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It is definitely a swipe guesture browser. Grab the window and move it up and down by the mouse. I got onto the Forums through the support links at the bottom of the page. I cannot find a way to load another site. I notice that there is a large grey area at the top of the page. On a mobile device that area would have options. At least Ubuntu Web Browser renders on Xfce.

I have just shutdown and reloaded Browser and at the top of the page there is a menu called More and that has a link to an app directory and the Forum among other things. Try it full screen and use the mouse as a swipe guesture. We begin to get indea of how these phablet apps will scale for the desktop. It is time to buy shares in companies making touch screen desktop monitors. It most definitely makes you want a touch screen monitor.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; November 3rd, 2013 at 02:42 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Not sure what you're seeing this is what I see in there.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Not sure how posting works from here though.

This should have whitespace between the lines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

swiping is great fun with a mouse

Beans
    Distro

I suppose it's built for touch screens.
    To get the controls on a screen without touch you use the mouse to grab the controls at the bottom of the window.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I have just run the updates for today (sunday 3rd Nov) and I got something called Ubuntu Web Browser. It is described asAnd there it is in the Dash. Search for Browser. I am posting from it now. Do not expect too much. It does not render this forum as it should. I have lost the formatting options at the top of the box used to type a post.It does not have sliders or scroll bars. Nor a back button or an address panel. Perhaps this is a secure web browser for accessing Ubuntu sites only. May be it is part of Convergence. An application from the Phablet platform.

The moderators should try this browser out and see how it works or not with this forum.

Regards.
    Looks like I should have had my Glasses on while Updating this Morning, if it wasn't for your post, I would have missed that completely! It's there on my machine as well.
    Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
    Dell Inspiron 400 HD Desktop with a 120 GB Crucial SSD and Lubuntu 14.04.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast