Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Web Browser - what's that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu Web Browser - what's that?

I can see that with this new Ubuntu Browser is an attempt for Canonical to finally get up to speed with Windows 8 Gnome Shell type system. Win8 apps act much the same way (without touch screen) with the mouse etc...(I have been experiementing with UEFI, Ubuntu and Windowz 8 etc )

I am sure there are some macro bindings with keyboard + mouse that I haven't discovered yet. I tried to find some extra info on this new phenomenon-app but it is very sparse.

ok.. I'm off topic too

edit ..

btw .. you can have both FF and Ubuntu Browser running at the same time and there is no conflict at all... I thought that kind of peculiar.
    Last edited by ventrical; November 6th, 2013 at 06:31 PM.
    This is Convergence
    Ubuntu Development Version Testing Blog Remarks
    Running 16.04 on Mobo: MSI model: B85-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850) v: 1.0

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The best that I can come up with is its Launchpad page. It is one of the system apps. further down the page are links to packages. I am not sure if they mean 'trusty' as trusty on the desktop or trusty as part of Ubuntu mobile platform. I suppose the main difference would be machine architecture.

Now comparing what I see on that page and what synaptic tells me I find that I have installed webbrowser version 0.22+13.10.20131011.1-0ubuntu1 - which is the saucy version but there is a trusty version available. 0.22+14.04.20131106-0ubuntu1. I think this is a very new build. I see dates - 2013 11 06 and Ubuntu version 14.04. I wonder if it is possible to install some of the other System Apps and whether it is wise to try it.

https://launchpad.net/webbrowser-app

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/CoreApps

At the moment it is difficult to know the difference between a bug and a lacking of intended features. As it stands it does not run videos from web sites.

Edit: I saw on someone's blog that Browser was in Software Centre and I got curious. Was mediaplayer-app in Software Centre? Yes it is. The same version number as recoded on its Launchpad page. It is a saucy version. Not yet built specifically on trusty. It is described as a QML Media player service used by Ubuntu shell to play video sources.

Edit 2: Some of the other mobile apps that are in Software Centre are: camera-app; gallery-app (described as Ubuntu Photo Viewer); address-book-app; notes-app. The link to the developer website brings up a Launchpad page.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; November 6th, 2013 at 06:05 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

@graham

It runs youtube videos (on this machine) just fine.. thing is .. you can't stop them No control on the youtube tool bar. I do have flash-plugin installed.

That could be a bug for desktop only.

Thanks for your research !
    This is Convergence
    Ubuntu Development Version Testing Blog Remarks
    Running 16.04 on Mobo: MSI model: B85-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850) v: 1.0

Beans
    Distro

It is with us for a long time...
    It is not a novelty brought with TT...
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...lishinghistory

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Works fine here....

Screenshot from 2013-11-07 12:56:09 by ringi_is, on Flickr

Beans
    Distro

"Browser" print is half the size of this and faint. Unusable for me.

Beans

I now really wish there is a tab with Ubuntu in it. There is few touch screen laptops in the shops, but are expensive. I would love to work with this Ubuntu Browser on a touch screen. It is still new, but it is good. By the way, if I buy an old touch screen monitor and fix it to the lap, would I be able to use Ubuntu and this Browser as in a tab? I am thinking about this, because of this Ubuntu Browser. Could be off topic, but related to Ubuntu TT and the Browser.

Edit: I put the smiley by writing it, still the clicking won't get it placed.

Re: Ubuntu Web Browser

libunity-webapps (2.5.0~+14.04.20131108.2-0ubuntu1) trusty; urgency=low

[ Robert Bruce Park ]
    * Depend on webbrowser-app so it can become the default in Trusty.
    We'll see...
    This basically makes webbroswer-app uninstallable in Ubuntu (not really but that's the idea

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    We'll see...
    This basically makes webbroswer-app uninstallable in Ubuntu (not really but that's the idea
    Is the idea that webapps will open in the webbrowser-app, instead of the users currently default browser?
    As it seems to do now.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Is the idea that webapps will open in the webbrowser-app, instead of the users currently default browser?
    As it seems to do now.
    I've no idea, guess it become apparent over the next month or 2

From my desktop install perspective am hoping that they take the opportunity in 14.04 to put out a really good unity7/compiz release (for desktop installs
    If so then I've no use for these touch apps in 14.04 & will eliminate them & supporting packages as is possible.

That's what I hope to see, then Ubuntu can go along it's merry push & pull way in 14.10+

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast