Thread: List installed packages

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Angry List installed packages

I came across this code to make a list of all installed packages and the write it to a text file if you want it to. The problem is that sometimes the code works and sometimes it doesn't. I can't figure out why it doesn't work sometimes. The code is:

./user_installed_packages

When it doesn't work I get the following error message: bash: ./user_installed_packages: No such file or directory

Any thoughts or ideas as to what could be causing it? I'm running Xubuntu 12.04 64-bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: List installed packages

If you follow the link in my signature there's a description.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

The command ./user_installed_packages says "run the program (or script) called user_installed_packages that's in the current directory" - so if the file is not in the current directory, you'll get that error. You can see what the current directory is by typing

Code:
    pwd
    and you can list the contents (to check the user_installed_packages file is there) using

Code:
    ls
    If you want to be able to run the program/script regardless of what directory you're in, you should put it in a directory that's on your executable path e.g. /home/username/bin (for personal programs) or /usr/local/bin (for everyone). You can check the current executable search path using

Code:
    echo $PATH

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Morgaes: thank you. that did the trick.