Thread: Problem with Ubuntu software center

Beans

Unhappy Problem with Ubuntu software center

I can't open Software Center, I have ubuntu 12.04 LTS, intel proccessor 64 bit. The error on the right end screen says 'Error: opening the catche (E: Encountered a section with no package: header, E problem with mergeList/var/lib/apt/lists/extras.ubuntu.com_ubunt_dists_precise_main_binary_ i386_packages,E: THe package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened). This usually means that your installed packages have unmet dependencies.

When I click on software center it tries to open and the shut down. I got the computer with ubuntu one already installed in it few weeks ago. Initially the software center worked. Downloaded VLC, Skype and Google Chromium. After that it stoped working. I have no background in ubuntu or in progreming. I had to search what terminal means and how to open it. I appreciate any help with instructin to a very new beginner.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Problem with Ubuntu software center

Moved to new thread.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by taniakurland View Post
    I can't open Software Center, I have ubuntu 12.04 LTS, intel proccessor 64 bit. The error on the right end screen says 'Error: opening the catche (E: Encountered a section with no package: header, E problem with mergeList/var/lib/apt/lists/extras.ubuntu.com_ubunt_dists_precise_main_binary_ i386_packages,E: THe package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened). This usually means that your installed packages have unmet dependencies.

When I click on software center it tries to open and the shut down. I got the computer with ubuntu one already installed in it few weeks ago. Initially the software center worked. Downloaded VLC, Skype and Google Chromium. After that it stoped working. I have no background in ubuntu or in progreming. I had to search what terminal means and how to open it. I appreciate any help with instructin to a very new beginner.
    Post the output of:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    from the terminal.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Many thanks. Wiil do. Tania

Beans

Hi again,
    I am afraid it did not work. I got a long respond and an Error was identified in line 51. This is what I have got "Get:51 http/archive ubuntu.com precise-update/universe translation-er Fetch 22.3 MB in 17s Reading Package lists...Error! W:GPG error:http://archive.canonical.com precise Release: The following signatures were invalid:BADSIG 40976EAF437DO5B% ubuntu Archive Automatic signing key<ftmaster@ubunto.com. W: an error occured during the signature verification. The repository is not updted and the previous index files will be used.
    Then it continues on concluding : W:failed to fetch http://extras.ubuntu.com.precise/relese. W:some files failed to download. They have been ignored or old ones used.
    So- Any suggestion? Or should I download a new Ubuntu OP via external disc writer/reader (my computer is a netbook with no disc drive). Appreciate any suggestion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Try the following commands in terminal

Code:
    $ sudo -i# apt-get clean
    # cd /var/lib/apt
    # mv lists lists.old
    # mkdir -p lists/partial
    # apt-get clean # apt-get update
    Source : http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-fix...or-badsig.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by taniakurland View Post
    Hi again,
    I am afraid it did not work. I got a long respond and an Error was identified in line 51. This is what I have got "Get:51 http/archive ubuntu.com precise-update/universe translation-er Fetch 22.3 MB in 17s Reading Package lists...Error! W:GPG error:http://archive.canonical.com precise Release: The following signatures were invalid:BADSIG 40976EAF437DO5B% ubuntu Archive Automatic signing key<ftmaster@ubunto.com. W: an error occured during the signature verification. The repository is not updted and the previous index files will be used.
    Then it continues on concluding : W:failed to fetch http://extras.ubuntu.com.precise/relese. W:some files failed to download. They have been ignored or old ones used.
    So- Any suggestion? Or should I download a new Ubuntu OP via external disc writer/reader (my computer is a netbook with no disc drive). Appreciate any suggestion.
    You must post the full output with code tags [#] from the editor.

Run the following commands in the Terminal:

Code:
    sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf
    sudo apt-get update
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

this is what I got rm: cannot remove `/var/lib/apt/lists/partial': Is a directory

Beans

still not working- this is what I have got: $ sudo -i# apt-get clean
    sudo: invalid option -- '#'
    usage: sudo [-D level] -h | -K | -k | -V
    usage: sudo -v [-AknS] [-D level] [-g groupname|#gid] [-p prompt] [-u user
    name|#uid]
    usage: sudo -l[l] [-AknS] [-D level] [-g groupname|#gid] [-p prompt] [-U user
    name] [-u user name|#uid] [-g groupname|#gid] [command]
    usage: sudo [-AbEHknPS] [-C fd] [-D level] [-g groupname|#gid] [-p prompt] [-u
    user name|#uid] [-g groupname|#gid] [VAR=value] [-i|-s] [<command>]
    usage: sudo -e [-AknS] [-C fd] [-D level] [-g groupname|#gid] [-p prompt] [-u
    user name|#uid] file ...
    tania@tania-1015E:~$ # cd /var/lib/apt
    tania@tania-1015E:~$ # mv lists lists.old
    tania@tania-1015E:~$ # mkdir -p lists/partial
    tania@tania-1015E:~$ # apt-get clean # apt-get update

Beans

Thank you all so much!!!
    I just looked at my Software Center and it is working again. I am not sure which of the suggestions worked in the end. I think it start working again after I re-logged to the computer. Anyway, thank you all, very greatfull and made me want to learn more about ubuntu.