Thread: What's an Nvidia graphics card that works easily with Ubuntu 13.04/10?

Beans

What's an Nvidia graphics card that works easily with Ubuntu 13.04/10?

What's an Nvidia graphics card that works easily with Ubuntu 13.04/10?

I need something that supports multiple desktops/multiple monitors (two dvi ports)

I currently have an AMD, that seems to crash the system, crash unity, etc, everytime there is a kernel update.

So I'm wanting to see if I have better luck with an Nvidia.

I checked "the list" but those seem like old model that no one seems to carry.

Which Nvidia card are you using that you haven't had many problems with? Did you use the driver that came with ubuntu or did you have it install a different one?

TIA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: What's an Nvidia graphics card that works easily with Ubuntu 13.04/10?

Not the newest card around but I have been using this one for years. The only problem I am having right now is no version of Ubuntu 13.10 will resume from suspend but I am not convinced it has anything to do with the card. It does resume from suspend with 13.04 though.

I use if fine with the native Nouveau driver or the Nvidia proprietary included Ubuntu distro. I have run it with multiple versions of Ubuntu 11.x, 12.x and now 13.10.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-nVidia-Ge...302266-3206806

Here is my current thread on the resume item if you are interested

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2185090

EDIT: Sorry I just noticed that was a used version of the card. Maybe they do not sell new any more.
    Last edited by VideoRoy; November 2nd, 2013 at 11:56 PM.

Beans

Probably any currently-sold nvidia card will do you. I've been interchangeably using a geForce 210 and geForce 520 on two monitors with twinview and no problems. (These and many others have a DVI-DL, HDMI and VGA, but you can only use two of the ports at any one time.)

Flipside: I'm thinking of getting an AMD 7750 based card because i want to run *three* monitors, but you're scaring me (and all the amd issues generally seem to scare me) but i suspect given i'm no gamer, i just want a multi-monitor unity desktop, that even the open source radeon driver may actually do me.

So I have no recent AMD/ATI experience, but recent nVidia experience has all been pretty positive; also on an onboard-geForce 610-equipped htpc running xbmc. On 13.10 I just install nvidia-319-updates and reboot, it just works.
    Last edited by rachel.greenham; November 3rd, 2013 at 03:34 AM. Reason: just setting subscribe option; no text change

Beans

Thanks for the tips, I ordered a GTX 650Ti, I'll let you know Monday if there are any issues.

@Rachel, I have an AMD HD7700, that was a pain to install, but I eventually got it to work on 12.04, however after this latest kernel upgrade it stopped working. I tried 13.04 and 13.10 and could not get it to work with dual monitors. Currently I have 13.04 running, and its only mirroring the desktops, if I select multi-desktop in the AMD catalyst center unity won't start.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

FWIW I use a gtx 650Ti. No problems at all using proprietary driver v319.60.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi I installed a Zotac GT630 synergy edition 4gig card last year on my system. If you can still find one it is well worth the $50.00 price and if you like games it will play anything ubuntu has to offer on the highest settings using the Nvida 304.88 driver.
    also works with open source drivers. It has two dvi ports and one hdmi port.and will work with two monitors.
    Last edited by leeper69; November 5th, 2013 at 07:57 PM.