Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I will never ever dist-upgrade again

Beans

I will never ever dist-upgrade again

I just want to share my frustration in this post.

I tried to upgrade my distribution to 13.10 from 13.04. During installation of new packages the upgrade application hanged (window grayed out), never came back to life and after at least 15 minutes everything that I could do is reboot. After that my system is completely broken and unusable. Unity crashes when I try to do anything, icons on launcher are missing, buttons on the toolbar are missing, networking doesn't work.

I'm absolutely speechless. This is utterly ridiculous.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: I will never ever dist-upgrade again

Moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat as it's not a request for help.

If you want help with specific problems, feel free to start a thread giving details in the relevant forum.
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Ubuntu membership via Forums contributions

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    If /boot and /root are on separate partitions you are in luck. On the install choose "other", and in the partition manager choose to reuse Swap as is, use and reformat "boot", use and reformat /root, use and D0 NOT format /usr and /home. Make sure the correct flags are set on boot and root. You may have to reinstall a few of your self installed programs but your settings should be retained. I went from 13.04 to 1310 to 14.04 with no problems.
    rrnbtter
    Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

15 minutes doesn't seem to be an excruciatingly long time. An hour, maybe.
    Sometimes it grays out if an action is required by you and another window is opened somewhere, either in another workspace or under the greyed out window.
    You might be able to fix it by going to the recovery section at boot and then running the fix broken packages.

Also, dist-upgrade and upgrading versions are not the same thing.

dist-upgrade is a command to update the existing systems packages.
    It does not upgrade the version you are using.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

An upgrade to a new version via the Internet can take hours , first the download of about 900 Mb of packages and then unpacking, replacement, and setup. After installation there is cleanup process as well. If you choose to upgrade be sure not to use the computer during the upgrade or the process it may freeze . I have done one just to see what it was like and preformed a clean installation later anyway .
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    FYI deadflowr make a good point. Both Raring and Saucy have a bug that keeps a "dialog" window under the active window instead of bringing it to the foreground. You litterly sit there waiting without knowing that the dialog window has opened. If you keep an eye on the launcher you should see a "hint" that there is a new window open, or even reduce the size of the installation windows so that you can see if another window opens. This will most often occur when the installer wants to update fonts and needs your permission to proceed due to license restrictions.
    rrnbtter
    Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!

Beans

Thank you guys for your help. Unfortunately, it will be very hard to convince me that an application completely freezing and not responding for at least 15 minutes (with no CPU usage, so it's clearly just blocked on something) is normal and I should just wait longer.

Now, is there a way to install fresh Ubuntu 13.10 while preserving contents of my home directory (everything is on the same partition)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Your best recourse is to back up your data to a flash drive (boot up using a LiveDVD) and then wipe and perform a clean installation. When your system is hopelessly mangled, trying to fix it can take hours when a clean install can be done in 20 minutes--once you have burned a disk or USB stick.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by romeqjanoosh View Post
    ... after at least 15 minutes ...
    It might well be that the necessary downloads, much less their installation, had not completed in that 15 minutes.

I'm on a reasonably fast broadband connection. Downloading all files in a distribution upgrade in only 15 minutes would please me.

In any case, in-place upgrades have a better chance for success if the user has returned the system as closely as possible to the original post-install state, including purging all PPA's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

As they mentioned, it's very important to uncheck any ppas you have installed from the software sources list (they will likely get taken out anyway)...but assuming you run only 1 ubuntu, if you download and run a live 13.10 disc, it SHOULD offer you the option to upgrade 13.04 to 13.10 using the INSTALLER...this is the method i have been using (you can read about my results in the link below) and it has been working very well for me...it is FAST and seems to be more reliable then using either Software Updater or Terminal to do the upgrade...mine took about 25 minutes total...and it doesn't have to go to the internet...everything done right from the iso....I keep telling people about it here but sometimes i feel like "banging my head against the wall" because very few seem to use it...
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...+great+upgrade

You might try doing it again, using this method instead...not sure if it will be able to compensate for what you did so far, but perhaps worth a try....back up your important stuff on an external drive if possible and then do it...worse case is you may have to install 13.10 clean....but in the future TRY this method, i think you will likely find it works sooo much better...
    Last edited by craig10x; November 2nd, 2013 at 10:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast