Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a fast booting os, with low power consumption but with diverse functional

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Looking for a fast booting os, with low power consumption but with diverse functional

Hi,

I currently have a 4 year old HP touchsmart tm2 1010-ea laptop. I currently dual boot windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04. I am currently looking for a really fast os that wont eat up my battery life but still let me do basic things like run Word (in wine). Or is Ubuntu the best pick already?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Looking for a fast booking os, with low power consumption but with diverse functi

On that hardware try Xubuntu or Lubuntu, both using much fewer resources than ubuntu.

If you can manage with E17 window manager you could also look at Bodhi. It starts with very few applications by default, but it uses the ubuntu repos along with its own, so you can install anything that is available to ubuntu. It also uses all the same methods of installation that you know already; it just looks so different to a standard DE that it takes a while to get used to.

Others that may be of interest that I have used are puppy, crunchbang, and I'm sure other forum users will come up with more to try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Looking for a fast booking os, with low power consumption but with diverse functi

It all comes down to personal taste. There is a plethora of light-weight distros out there. ajgreeny just touched the surface. Find a few, make live cd/usb's and shop around.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Linux Mint Mate will give you that 4-year-old, Gnome2 desktop that works with more of what you want and less of what you don't want.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ads2996 View Post
    Hi,

I currently have a 4 year old HP touchsmart tm2 1010-ea laptop. I currently dual boot windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04. I am currently looking for a really fast os that wont eat up my battery life but still let me do basic things like run Word (in wine). Or is Ubuntu the best pick already?
    Ubuntu is based on Debian. Crunchbang is Debian running Openbox, which is a very lightweight WM. You can try it, but it can be very "hackish" compared to Ubuntu. It requires you to know "shortcut" keys to open apps if you don't know your way around a CLI. I'm also using Debian with Openbox, but it's very custom, nothing like Crunchbang. Go to the screenshots thread at the top of this forum if you want to see some screenshots.
    Last edited by dbass81; November 2nd, 2013 at 10:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: Looking for a fast booting os, with low power consumption but with diverse functi

The fastest way to boot os's is via a ssd but these can be pricey at the moment but very reliable in my opinion

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Looking for a fast booting os, with low power consumption but with diverse functi

chrunchbang or debian are lighter. so is bodhi. not sure how much battery you gain by using them though. there are a couple of battery management applicaitons you can try. tlp is one of them i believe.

ubuntu with Unity for exampler uses 3D rendering of windows (like win7 aero). that can draw power unnecessarily i think.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

I'm running Lubuntu 13.10 really smooth, fast, stable
    and you can expect Ubuntu's ease of configuration ,setup, and support for much tools and features

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I suggest Xubuntu, for the sake that it is efficient and still looks cool.

Beans

Using any of the lighter desktop environments should speed your startup a bit and help battery life.

I also set up cpufreqd on my laptop and it's done wonders for my battery life. It takes a bit of fiddling to get it set up, but well worth it. I don't know if regular ubuntu has some kind of cpu frequency scaler built in, but cpufreqd works pretty well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast