Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mythbuntu and WinTV-HVR-1800

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Mythbuntu and WinTV-HVR-1800

I've tried to use this TV card back on linux kernel 2, i believe on ubuntu 10.04, but it was such a hassle i gave up and just used Windows 7.

Now that it's been a few years, and everything's updated and changed quite a bit, would it be easier getting this card to work on the new kernel and ubuntu versions? how would i go about getting this card to work with mythbuntu, complicated or not?
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

Beans

Re: Mythbuntu and WinTV-HVR-1800

Yes, the 1800 is much easier to use now. I have been using one sucessfully for at least 3 years now. Install Mythbuntu 12.x, and it should auto-detect for you.

Beans
    Distro

How did you get yours to work? I'm hitting a brick wall with MythTV, it wont even see it.

Beans

I no longer use this card, but referring to this page http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.ph...WinTV-HVR-1800 you might need to compile the driver and download the firmware if it doesn't run out of the box.

From experience, I can tell, that it's mostly the firmware. Like for my WinTV Nova HD S2, Ubuntu ships a firmware, which is either broken or only works with another revisioin of the card. So I'd try to install the firmware first.

Beans
    Distro

I have all the drivers available, however for some reason V4L DVB isnt an option on Mythtv setup, and that's the only way i know how to get it to work.

Beans

Are you able to use the card with another application? Did you check the related log output using dmesg?

Beans
    Distro

Dmesg reports no errors, VLC says permission error for some reason. I have yet to try tvtime, but i dont want to load too many graphical apps onto the system as it's an ubuntu server install.

Beans

No idea what causes the permission error here... But there is "apt-get purge" to get rid of those apps after testing.

My next step would be to check the output of "dmesg | grep -i dvb" and whether there is a device in "/dev/dvb/". But I never had a permission issue.

And I'd check "lsmod" whether the (I believe) cx23885 driver is loaded.

Beans

Check to see if it is uploading the firmware, with this command:

Code:
    dmesg | grep firmware

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shiman6 View Post
    I have all the drivers available, however for some reason V4L DVB isnt an option on Mythtv setup, and that's the only way i know how to get it to work.
    You shouldn't need V4L DVB for it at all. I am running Mythbuntu 12.04.3, mythtv libs v27, and it comes up as an ATSC DVB card in the capture card setup. Perhaps if you change your repositories to v27(which is the current), some of these problems with settle out. It will also help in the setup if you turn off the EIT scan in the three boxes asking about SEQ header timeouts and such.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast