Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't use DVD drive - 12.04 LTS

Beans

Re: Can't use DVD drive - 12.04 LTS

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    eject /dev/sr0 ejects a disk from the drive on my 12.04 laptop. Just checked it.
    Thanks Dennis. It didn't work for me though, and I don't have an sr0 file or folder under my dev folder.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by keeno.1 View Post
    Thanks Dennis. It didn't work for me though, and I don't have an sr0 file or folder under my dev folder.
    Sounds broken to me too.

Suggestions:
    1) buy a new internal dvd drive and replace it.
    2) buy an external dvd drive with usb interface. (what I use - see post 4)
    3) use another computer with a working drive if you have one.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

You might try checking the power supply connection to the DVD drive, perhaps its loose, or the power supply isn't providing power through that particular cable. If your power supply has a spare power cable try plugging it into the DVD player instead. Also, you could try using the power cable going to the Hard Drive (since we know it works) to the DVD player. You computer might not boot, but if you have power to the DVD player you should be able to eject the drive whenever the computer is on. If changing power cables doesn't work then you know you have a bad drive as the ejection button is not at all related to the operating system installed.

If the drive works using a different cable, then you know your power supply (or the original power cable) is going bad.

Also...

You probably already know this... make sure the computer is off and unplugged from the wall outlet when plugging and unplugging the power cables to the drives in the computer.
    Last edited by Petro Dawg; November 1st, 2013 at 11:52 PM.
    Who's Awesome? You're Awesome.

Beans

Thank you for all the suggestions and help everyone. Seems to me like getting a new external USB drive might be the way to go. The one I have is internal in my computer so shouldn't be a matter of a loose connection.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Probably not, but not impossible. And I'm also trying to help you rule out the possibility of a failing power supply or bad cable as well. Typically a bad disk drive will still show some signs of response when the ejection button is pressed. Even if it doesn't eject, you will typically hear the drive try to turn some gears and fail, or see a light blink, or something. If it's completely unresponsive, there might be other issues. Its good to rule out as much as possible before buying new parts in my opinion.

When you hit the eject button does the drive make a sound or do anything at all?
    Last edited by Petro Dawg; November 2nd, 2013 at 12:15 AM.
    Who's Awesome? You're Awesome.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    eject /dev/sr0 ejects a disk from the drive on my 12.04 laptop. Just checked it.
    Well, at least something works. Have you tried playing a CD or video to see if the failure replicates--as it almost certainly will. Optical drives are so cheap today you can get top-of-the-line for $50 or so. I like to do this from time to time, switch from hardware to software (my specialty) and back again--that seems to keep current flow optimized between synapses.
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You could also salvage a DVD drive from a scrap computer. The drives are standard bricks and easy to swap.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12