Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't use DVD drive - 12.04 LTS

Beans

Can't use DVD drive - 12.04 LTS

Hi all,

I'm about to start a university course and have received a DVD on which there are exercises, and when the time comes some exam assignments, only to find I can't open the DVD drive on my desktop computer. It can only be opened using the trick of putting a pin in the small hole under the DVD tray. Then, once the DVD is inserted, neither does the DVD auto-run or auto-mount.

I am currently on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and in looking at similar threads, it seems all the above problems are common on this version. The various terminal commands I have seen suggested in these threads didn't work either. Can anyone suggest what steps I should be taking to be able to run DVD's now? I also haven't been able to work out how to access DVD files by exploring the file system on Ubuntu. Are there solutions within 12.04 LTS, should I upgrade my Ubuntu version, or do I perhaps need to buy and use an external DVD drive?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Last edited by keeno.1; November 1st, 2013 at 08:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Can't use DVD drive - 12.04 LTS

Hi, welcome to the fora.

What exactly have you tried? The eject command?
    Last edited by mörgæs; November 1st, 2013 at 10:13 PM. Reason: typo
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I am currently on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and in looking at similar threads, it seems all the above problems are common on this version.
    Eh?Running old sony vaio with 12.04 LTS and nothing of the kind.Cheers,Bruno

Beans

Have an Xubuntu 12.04 system; I use an external USB connected DVD r/w (the computer was built w/o such a drive) for all types of disk media. No problems with it at all. Activities such as play DVD, play audio CD, rip CD, burn CD, all work correctly. You might try one if you find the built-in unsatisfactory. Mine is a Samsung.
    Last edited by Dennis N; November 1st, 2013 at 10:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It can only be opened using the trick of putting a pin in the small hole under the DVD tray
    That's a mechanical problem with the dvd player, and not something Ubuntu can fix.

As far as running a dvd, it depends on what the dvd content is.
    Firstly, you can see if the dvd is even readable by opening up the home folder(if you haven't moved things around the home folder is the first thing(after the dash icon) in the left side launcher; it looks like a folder.
    After opening the home folder, you can look at the left-side pane and see a listing for Devices.
    Even if the dvd is not opening, it will be listed in this Devices section.
    If the disk is not listed, then the disk is not readable.

Now, if the disk is readable and listed in home folder, the next step is to make sure you have the codecs to read the disk.
    This is all assumption on my part, as I assume the disk is a movie, so either open up the software center or run this command
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    The package is ubuntu restricted extras in the software center.
    Here's what else you might need to do
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ts/PlayingDVDs

Have fun.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

I have tried a lot of things including that. The eject command beings up the following:

eject: tried to use `/dev/scd0' as device name but it is no block device
    eject: unable to find or open device for: `cdrom'

Other than that I have looked around on similar threads on Ubuntu-related forums, and tried commands given in these threads ('sudo mount...') intended to mount DVD drives but got nowhere with that. I suspect the DVD folders and files might not be in the file system.

I have tried 'sudo lshw' in the terminal and nothing like *cdrom and *dvdrom comes up on the list.

These are examples of things I have noticed from trying commands, but I am not very experienced with terminal commands so can't really say I know what I'm doing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    As far as running a dvd, it depends on what the dvd content is.
    Firstly, you can see if the dvd is even readable by opening up the home folder(if you haven't moved things around the home folder is the first thing(after the dash icon) in the left side launcher; it looks like a folder.
    After opening the home folder, you can look at the left-side pane and see a listing for Devices.
    Even if the dvd is not opening, it will be listed in this Devices section.
    If the disk is not listed, then the disk is not readable.
    Thanks. This could be part of the problem. I have opened up the Home folder and Devices is not listed in it. I have Home, Desktop, Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, File System and Trash, but not Devices.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would then assume the drive is busted.
    The fact that it isn't listed and that you need to use a pin to open it supports that.

It's very rare for a drive not to have some level of support in Ubuntu.
    DVD drives are somewhat generic, as they all do the same thing.

Could also be something as simple as a loose connection.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

On my Xubuntu 12.04 laptop with built in dvd drive, that device is /dev/sr0. The same is true on the previously-mentioned desktop with the external dvd drive. Try that.

Beans

eject /dev/sr0 ejects a disk from the drive on my 12.04 laptop. Just checked it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast