Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on older system

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu on older system

Quote Originally Posted by anthonypineiro View Post
    Awesome! With the mini.iso can I also install applications the normal install disc offers? Example firefox etc...
    Yes.
    When you install from the mini you have the ability to choose full desktops with their packages they include.
    Here's amjjawad's blog with pictures of what the process is like.

The one caveat is that the installation does require a working network connection.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Yes.
    When you install from the mini you have the ability to choose full desktops with their packages they include.
    Here's amjjawad's blog with pictures of what the process is like.

The one caveat is that the installation does require a working network connection.
    I want to thank you for posting that link. This is a great community. You all been so helpful. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No problem.
    To add, there is a selection(not seen in the photos) at the bottom of the install packages section for manual package selection.

Good Luck, in which ever way you choose to go.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

I, as you, totally new to Ubuntu. Thru some research, trial and error, managed to install Ubuntu 12.04 to a very old Dell Inspiron 8600 with a Pentium M 1.4mhz, 2gb RAM and Broadcom wireless (what a pain the wireless, but I got it!!!!). Nevertheless, the first thing you need to find out, if you processor is PAE or not. Which by the took me the longest to figure it out. Anyhow, if it is NO PAE, you have to install xubuntu or lubuntu 12.04 (or older versions I think), as they support NON-PAE processor. From there I upgrade to Ubuntu 12.04 from the terminal. All running good, and not bad at all for and OLD OLD system. This is what I did:
    - Install Lubuntu 12.04. No other change or upgrades
    - Install Ubuntu 12.04LTS
    - Run all upgrades
    - Done.

The reason I decided to go for Ubuntu is LTS. Lubuntu 12.04 support expired yesterday.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by shabuboy View Post
    ...totally new to Ubuntu
    Just want to give you a well-deserved pat on the back. If you are new to Ubuntu, posting for the first time and yet managed to install on a museum piece, figure out the Broadcom wireless mess, non-PAE kernels and the fact that Lubuntu has no LTS... well, let's just say that you'd be one dude I want in my corner when the going gets rough.=D>

Welcome to Ubuntu and the forums.

Beans
    Hidden!

I, as you, totally new to Ubuntu. Thru some research, trial and error, managed to install Ubuntu 12.04 to a very old Dell Inspiron 8600 with a Pentium M 1.4mhz, 2gb RAM and Broadcom wireless (what a pain the wireless, but I got it!!!!). Nevertheless, the first thing you need to find out, if you processor is PAE or not. Which by the took me the longest to figure it out. Anyhow, if it is NO PAE, you have to install xubuntu or lubuntu 12.04 (or older versions I think), as they support NON-PAE processor. From there I upgrade to Ubuntu 12.04 from the terminal. All running good, and not bad at all for and OLD OLD system. This is what I did:
    - Install Lubuntu 12.04. No other change or upgrades
    - Install Ubuntu 12.04LTS
    - Run all upgrades
    - Done.

The reason I decided to go for Ubuntu is LTS. Lubuntu 12.04 support expired yesterday.
    Thanks for sharing this with me. Pentium 4 does support PAE. When upgrading did you end up with Unity or the Lubuntu desktop environment?

Beans

You end up with a login window and select the flavor you want. I run Ubuntu 2D.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

(As a side note: It's a joy to watch a thread with so many good vibes. This is indeed 'Ubuntu'.
    Now back on track before I have to give myself an infraction for dragging a thread off-topic.)
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!

You end up with a login window and select the flavor you want. I run Ubuntu 2D.
    Cool this is what I wanted to hear! If I install Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS from disc, will I have a choice of what desktop environment to use due to my system specs or do I install Lubuntu first then upgrade in terminal to get the login window to select my flavor?
    Last edited by kromaz; November 2nd, 2013 at 12:06 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

You can choose at log-in, but if your specs are too low, it will automatically log you into 2D by default no matter what you choose. At least it did so on my computers that couldn't render 3D effects.
    Who's Awesome? You're Awesome.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast