Thread: Of nautilus and files!!!

Beans

Smile Of nautilus and files!!!

Hello

When I try to move a folder and/or files from one folder to another one , it pops"Error moving file permission denied".
    I know perfectly it's about security.
    But I want to have full... absolute...undeniable control of my folders/files activity as I'm the only one on this computer.
    How can In set FULL permissions everywhere and everytimes for everybody even if I'm the only one on this computer?
    I feel claustrophobic when this happens!!!

Thanks

Luc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Of nautilus and files!!!

You should have FULL permissions for the files in your home folder /home/username. What are you trying to change that is outside there? Most often there really is no reason for you to make changes outside of that folder, since 99% of your personal settings and customizations are stored in hidden folders in your home directory. Changing FULL permissions for files outside your home folder runs a serious risk of damaging the OS and making your machine unusable. Most programs and services run themselves under their own usernames and if this is changed things like printing etc may stop working. This is also the reason their are practically no viruses for Linux/Unix systems.

Let me know
    Justin

Beans

To have a stable system, your personal files should remain within your home folder. And there, you have the control you seek. Linux has a carefully thought out design that you don't want to mess with. Otherwise, sooner or later, you would have an unstable, unusable system.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You already have full, absolute, undeniable control over your files. Just use sudo. It gives you more control than using some better known operating systems. However, keep in mind that if you use sudo when you are sleepy, drunk or confused* you'll probably break your system. The security system also protects you from yourself.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

* I don't know whether you're ever drunk, but most people sometimes are sleepy or confused.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    You already have full, absolute, undeniable control over your files. Just use sudo. It gives you more control than using some better known operating systems. However, keep in mind that if you use sudo when you are sleepy, drunk or confused* you'll probably break your system. The security system also protects you from yourself.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

* I don't know whether you're ever drunk, but most people sometimes are sleepy or confused.
    I completely agree with this. If you are newer to Ubuntu and Linux in general please, please do your research before you start trying to change things outside of your home folder. But as Impavidus said if you truly need to make changes sudo has you covered.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Luc_Lacombe View Post
    But I want to have full... absolute...undeniable control of my folders/files activity as I'm the only one on this computer.
    How can In set FULL permissions everywhere and everytimes for everybody even if I'm the only one on this computer?
    There is a simple command that will give you full permission everywhere and always for everybody. Why am I not telling it to you? It's because it will break your system totally, utterly and irrevocably. With monotonous regularity, people who have run this command start threads asking how they can repair their system. The answer is always the same: you can't. Reinstall.

As others have said, you have permission to move stuff around within your home folder. Outside of your home folder are system files which you should leave alone unless you know what you are doing.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

There you are; you have seen all the warnings which I fully agree with!

Now to try to be more helpful.

Please tell me what you are trying to move and from where to where. This may give us all some way to figure out if there is a good reason for not being able to move the folders/files.

Beans

Hello you all

Thanks for helping me.
    Ok Guys...I understand your point! Legit arguments.
    What caused this...
    I recently installed Variety, a background pictures manager.
    And I tried to copy personnal pictures to a folder in : /File System/USR/share/backgrounds.
    So I decided to put these pictures in /Home/Pictures instead.
    Everything's fine right now.
    Thanks very much!

Luc Lacombe
    Last edited by Luc_Lacombe; October 31st, 2013 at 08:45 PM.