Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems Logging Server

Beans

Re: Problems Logging Server

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Servers need to come up, be on the network, and provide services regardless of DNS or DHCP working, IMHO.
    Sure they do, though a server without a resolvable name is obviously pretty limited. At home here I have little redundancy, but production networks should. I used to run dhcpd on the same server that hosts my local DNS and mail, but it's just easier to let the router handle it, especially since I only buy routers that use dd-wrt like this nice Buffalo I picked up the other day.

I'm also trying to cut down my electric bill. I'm playing with a Raspberry Pi to see how many services it can take over from my ten-year-old Dell server that does DNS/NFS/Samba/Mail/OpenVPN and some routing. I'm a bit unimpressed at the video quality of the Pi compared to my machines with NVIDIA or ATI adapters, so I may not use it at the display end. I can see it as a server with an external drive attached.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; November 2nd, 2013 at 03:15 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Still haven't got this problem cleared up yet. I'm not sure if it's a setting I'm doing wrong or what. These are the settings I have currently

auto lo
    iface lo inet static

address 10.168.1.111
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 10.168.1.1
    broadcast 10.168.1.253
    dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

I don't have the server open outside the router at all, when I login SSH it's with a password. I did just change the network from 10.168.1.0 to 10.168.1.0 to see if that would help out and seems like it did't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Try changing network to gateway and take out the broadcast line. Reboot.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12