Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: [ubuntu] Macbook Pro 11,1 (2013 Haswell Retina)

Beans

Re: [ubuntu] Macbook Pro 11,1 (2013 Haswell Retina)

Quote Originally Posted by kjano View Post
    As you will see reading this very thread 11.2 works just fine and you will get everything working but the webcam.
    I have edited the page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro11-1/Saucy to state that the instructions should also work for 11,2 and 11,3. At the end of that page I added the issue of GPU selection in 11,3:

"The MacBookPro 11,3 has a nVidia GPU and an Intel GPU. The nVidia GPU is used by Ubuntu by default. It is unknown how to switch to the Intel GPU, which is supposed to consume less power."

kjano, is this a correct description of the problem? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by bjornsto View Post
    Hi Kjano..,
    Thanks for info but so far haven't read any re:Intel Iris5200 ?
    Havn't tried the patch yet, but this bug seems to report the problem I'm having with the 11,2
    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=71049

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lichun1668 View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I have no clue why your computer requires a removal/install of the pm-utils package to make it work. It may have been messed up by something you installed. If you cannot live with your "fix," you could reinstall the OS. Or, you could explore more by monitoring if any files installed by the pm-utils package got changed. The list of files installed by the pm-utils package is in /var/lib/dpkg/info/pm-utils.list . Good luck!
    I found a new weird thing regarding this issue... Actually the reinstall/reconfigure trick does not work at all. What works is when I suspend the computer without using the sound system then after the resume the sound still works.
    If I listen music then suspend then resume, the sound will not work. I keep investigating !
    Do you use the lock screen after suspend ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by piti.diablotin View Post
    I found a new weird thing regarding this issue... Actually the reinstall/reconfigure trick does not work at all. What works is when I suspend the computer without using the sound system then after the resume the sound still works.
    If I listen music then suspend then resume, the sound will not work. I keep investigating !
    Do you use the lock screen after suspend ?
    I always have sound after resume under various combinations. I use lock screen after suspend. A fresh install of the OS may solve your issue. Then you can monitor what additional settings/packages will triger this problem. Good luck.

Beans

Hi all,I'm just considering to buy a Macbook pro retina 11.1 for ubuntu,It seems the only problem is iSight ,right?
    But I'm quite care about battery life,conan said he got 6-7 hours maybe but dont sure,Does anyone have more informantion about this?I mean,with some more customization such as TLP or Laptop-mode-tools.
    One more question,Is it possible to swipe OSX out and installed Win8.1/Ubuntu dual boot on Macbook pro11.1,I dont like OSX,but macbook pro's hardware spec is cool.
    sorry for my bad english,I hope you guy could understand me.

Beans

Hi plumlis. I am running the 11.3 macbook pro and have to use the nvidia card all the time which clearly consumes more battery. If I reduce the display brightness to 50%, turn of bluetooth and use the mac for email, surfing, and compiling LaTeX documents, I get about 5-6 hours (typically closer to 5). Thus, I think 6-7 hours for the 11.1 is very realistic.

Beans

Thx for reply,and I will go for my Macbook pro soon

Beans

Hi all,

My MBP Retina with Ubuntu has been very stable for me up until today. I'm not sure if recent app updates did something, but I'm stuck in a login loop. The machine boots to the nVidia splash screen, then pops up the login screen, flashes briefly, and again pops up the login screen. Entering my credentials causes the screen to flicker briefly, then the nVidia splash pops up again before returning me to the login screen.

Any help? How can I access the terminal from the login screen? Reading up on the issue, I saw a couple of threads pointing to cinnamon as the cause. Holding Fn+Ctrl+Alt+F2 just sends me to a completely black screen though...

Thanks!

EDIT: A little bit of follow-up here. I'm able to launch Ubuntu without the login by changing "quiet splash" to "text" in the Grub boot options. I attempted to remove cinnamon but there's nothing installed matching that package, so it looks like that is not the solution.

I would rather not install the 3.13 RC6 kernel, but some threads indicate that may help. It really looks like an nVidia issue. Is it possible to start the GUI from the terminal now that I'm logged in? Thanks!

EDIT2: Well, typing in "startx" appears to do _something_. Again, the nVidia splash screen shows up briefly, and them I'm at a full black screen. :-\

EDIT3: I have solved this issue. It _appears_ that this is due to the 3.12 kernel not carrying over the nVidia driver properly. I am not well-versed in the Ubuntu world but I was seeing ERROR (dkms apport): binary package for nvidia: 331.20 not found when attempting to install the 3.13 RC6 kernel.

DO NOT install the 3.13 RC6 kernel (kind of a silly idea on my part as well). Just update the nVidia driver (latest is 331.38). It updated in place for me, and there was no need to run through the install process twice. Never have I been happier to see a "System problem detected" after login (that is just an error I get every time I boot...not sure what it is but everything runs fine)

On a related note, now I've got to remove the 3.13 RC6 kernel option from Grub...*grumble grumble*
    Last edited by Rockmaninoff; January 13th, 2014 at 05:40 PM.

Beans

I have Ubuntu + Gnome 13.10 running nicely on my 15" Macbook Pro /w NVIDIA graphics (11.3). My one major complaint is that it's a little power hungry. I get half the battery life under Ubuntu that I get under OSX. Is it worth 'downgrading' to the pure-Intel solution for battery life? How is driver support? Are we likely to eventually find a switching solution? I'm still within my return window and debating if I should switch.

Aside from poor support for High DPI from the occasional program, it works pretty well otherwise. Lots of tweaking to make things right, and some things will probably never be perfect, but it works.
    Last edited by Slavik81_; January 16th, 2014 at 08:50 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by plumlis View Post
    Hi all,I'm just considering to buy a Macbook pro retina 11.1 for ubuntu,It seems the only problem is iSight ,right?
    But I'm quite care about battery life,conan said he got 6-7 hours maybe but dont sure,Does anyone have more informantion about this?I mean,with some more customization such as TLP or Laptop-mode-tools.
    One more question,Is it possible to swipe OSX out and installed Win8.1/Ubuntu dual boot on Macbook pro11.1,I dont like OSX,but macbook pro's hardware spec is cool.
    sorry for my bad english,I hope you guy could understand me.

Hi-

As far as I can say, everything works on my MBP retina 11.1 except iSight (also note that ethernet works only if plugged before booting and can produce a freeze if hot unplugged) The VGA works fine anytime.
    The battery lifetime is for me quite long, according to conky/acpi with wifi on, bluetooth off and screen brightness low I have used 47% of battery within 3h52. So the full charge should last around 8 hours.
    And I dual boot OSX and ubuntu. It works very well and it is very straight forward. So I guess you can replace OSX by Win since grub first starts and need to be exited to launch OSX. Then you can have an entry for Win in grub.

Hope you gonna enjoy !!

EDIT : the uptime is 8 hours and the battery is at 1%. During the last 2 hours I have been listening music and compiling/debuging on 1 cpu (running at 100% 2.8GHz)
    Last edited by piti.diablotin; January 16th, 2014 at 11:49 PM.

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast