Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: [ubuntu] Macbook Pro 11,1 (2013 Haswell Retina)

Beans

Re: [ubuntu] Macbook Pro 11,1 (2013 Haswell Retina)

Quote Originally Posted by vic.jang View Post
    bmerlover,
    Thanks for the summary, that would help many users like us save a lot of time.

I still have two questions though.

1. Doing it your way, are you booting using grub-efi like kjano said?
    Or is it maybe still grub in bios compatibility mode? (Is there even such thing? I never actually understand this efi/bios thing)

2. What is the advantage of using grub only over Refind+grub?
    I read some post and saw something related to Intel / nvidia graphics.
    but again I don't know the answer and don't really understand why efi/bios would affect those...

kjano, can you help clarify these?
    I guess you might know the answers, cuz you know much more about this than I do

1. I don't know which one I am using, I installed ubuntu and the GRUB that came is the one I used. I didn't actually do a grub-efi install so I'm assuming I'm using the bios compatibility mode. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I just deleted Refind from OS X and edited the grub configuration file to add the nolapic and the libata.force=noncq, and it started working.

2. From what I see, you don't really need Refind because you can just hold the alt option when you're turning on your computer if you want to boot into Ubuntu. So from my perspective, it's one less thing installed and one less thing to worry about.

General thought, it looks like some of the people are completely wiping Mac OS X and just installing Ubuntu directly. I actually need to use both operating systems so I'm afraid to touch that 200MB EFI partition that came by default from OS X. So it looks like people are using EFI mode cause I guess Macs don't use BIOS, instead they use EFI.

Some of the other users will answer your question better, I'm just guessing. I've always had a PC and installed Ubuntu with no problems whatsoever (besides the nvidia drivers and only on laptops that had both integrated and dedicated graphics), so I've never really needed to search so much just to get Ubuntu to install.

Beans

For those of you that aren't sure if you've installed / are running Ubuntu in EFI mode: check to see that /sys/firmware/efi exists. In BIOS mode it doesn't exist.

Beans

Thanks to all here for guidance to install Ubuntu on my MBP. Here is some experience with a MBP 11,3 (with discrete graphics). I have:
    - dual boot
    - Refind
    - Ubuntu 13.10 non-Mac
    - grub-efi
    - 3.12 kernel
    - nouveau

- Neither VGA, DVI nor ethernet work when hot-plugged. Ethernet and DVI do work when plugged at boot time, VGA does not work at all (screen freezes).

- MacOSX does not start from grub. I have two MacOSX entries. The 32-bit entry says "Mach-0 doesn't contain suitable 32-bit architecture", the 64-bit entry will result in a purple screen.

- When starting Ubuntu, just after grub I see "i8042: No controller found"

Does anyone know how to change the resolution of the login screen?
    Last edited by eindgebruiker; November 6th, 2013 at 11:46 PM.

Beans

eindgebruiker,

How did you get grub-efi installed?
    I managed to switch from grub-pc(bios mode) to grub-efi by using boot-repair after ubuntu is installed.
    But I wonder if there is a more elegant way, maybe during the installation process?

Thanks.

Beans

disable boot chime without MacOS

There is a loud chime sound whenever the laptop boots. The setting for this is in the NVRAM on motherboard and it can be modified using a MacOS program nvram. Now that I have wiped out MacOS, I found this a very annoying issue. Fortunately I found a webpage https://plus.google.com/111049168280...ts/6GAix9cuyiq

The solution is to boot into an EFI shell and modify EFI variables in that shell. To install the shell:

wget https://edk2.svn.sourceforge.net/svn...Shell_Full.efi
    sudo cp Shell_Full.efi /boot/efi/EFI/
    ## Create a boot record for the EFI shell
    sudo efibootmgr -c -l \\EFI\\Shell_Full.efi -L EFIShell
    ## Find boot number (You can also assign a boot number.)
    sudo efibootmgr
    ## Set Nextboot to the EFI Shell boot number (1 in my case)
    sudo efibootmgr -n 1

Restart to boot into the EFI shell. Do the following to modify the setting for EFI variable SystemAudioVolume:

## Go into the EFI partition
    fs0:
    ## Save variable value to a file called volume
    dmpstore -s volume SystemAudioVolume
    ## Edit the file to change the very last byte to "80", save and exit
    hexedit volume
    ## Save the value back to the EFI variable
    dmpstore -l volume SystemAudioVolume
    ## Reboot
    exit

Last edited by lichun1668; November 7th, 2013 at 05:22 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by eindgebruiker View Post

- Neither VGA, DVI nor ethernet work when hot-plugged. Ethernet and DVI do work when plugged at boot time, VGA does not work at all (screen freezes).

- When starting Ubuntu, just after grub I see "i8042: No controller found"

I have the 11,3 as well. I am also getting the no controller message (which just points to a missing PS2 controller ) and the VGA freeze. Have you tested the HDMI interface? I really need to get a VGA projector connected. Hopefully at least via the HDMI. I am still trying to get the speakers working and also suspend mode.
    Last edited by kjano; November 7th, 2013 at 07:03 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vic.jang View Post
    eindgebruiker,

How did you get grub-efi installed?
    I managed to switch from grub-pc(bios mode) to grub-efi by using boot-repair after ubuntu is installed.
    But I wonder if there is a more elegant way, maybe during the installation process?

Thanks.
    In MacOSX I decreased the OSX partition size (without any further partitioning) and installed Refind.
    Then I booted into Ubuntu from USB and clicked "Install Ubuntu", and chose "Install alongside MacOSX".
    That's all.
    Now I have two options in Refind (besides MacOSX): EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi and EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi. I don't know if there's any difference, they both boot into Ubuntu in efi mode.

@kjano: I just tried HDMI. Works both at boot time and with hot pluging.

Beans

Does anyone know how to check which graphics chip is being used?
    As you know, there are Iris Pro and Nvidia 750M.
    I wonder which one is being used in ubuntu.

Beans

Check "Settings > Details".
    Mine says: "Graphics: Gallium 0.4 on NVE7", which is the Nvidia.

Under "Software & Updates > Additional Drivers" I just see the wifi driver, no graphics. On my old MBP the graphics driver is displayed there as well, and I can choose several nividia drivers. Why is that? Does it have something to do with the 3.12 kernel? How can I install the nvidia driver on my new MBP?

Beans

If you use EFI you will not be able to use the nvidia drivers (at least not 304, 310, and 319). Theoretically kernel 3.12 makes sure the unused intel card is powered down and also should make switching between them simpler. To do so you probably have to install Bumblebee (without the nvidia drivers!): sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends bumblebee. I tried that with kernel 3.11 and it resulted in a black screen so that I had to remove the driver again. I have not tested it with 3.12 so be careful. In fact, I am not even sure what the relation between the modifications made in 3.12 and bumblebee is [1]. Anyway 3.12 will save you about 5W. I hope this helps.

[1] http://4x.reddit.com/r/linux/comment...th_kernel_312/

Just as update: it looks like they are still working on the speakers for 11.3, see https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=64401
    Last edited by kjano; November 9th, 2013 at 06:27 AM.

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast