Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: [ubuntu] Macbook Pro 11,1 (2013 Haswell Retina)

Beans

Re: [ubuntu] Macbook Pro 11,1 (2013 Haswell Retina)

I am at the airport right now, will check logs later. I often have to connect to a projector via VGA. unfortunately gnome freezes as soon as I put the mini display port to VGA adapter into one of the two thunderbolt ports. this happens no matter whether a VGA cable and device is attached or just the adapter. if I shutdown the macbook pro 11.3 and reboot with the adapter already attached it will boot to a black screen with blinking cursor but I will not be able to go to another terminal and have to shutdown the machine. maybe an issue with the open source nvidia driver?

Beans

First of all, thank you kjano and vic.jang

You were right, you don't need refind. When I boot the computer, I just hold the alt option and select "windows" which loads ubuntu grub and I select ubuntu from that menu and ubuntu loads.

I found this site based on the libata.force=noncq , http://www.howtoeverything.net/linux...er-ssd-upgrade

This a summary of what I did to fix the install.

Removed refind (optional) from OS X
    Temporary solution to login to Ubuntu from GRUB (fixes purple screen freeze after selecting Ubuntu):
    Logged in Ubuntu by modifying the file directly from grub by pressing 'e' while 'ubuntu' was highlighted and added "nolapic" next to "quiet splash".
    So it looked like this " quiet splash nolapic "
    or you can just load the live usb stick and modify grub directly.

Once you get into Ubuntu, this is the permanent fix:
    Open up the terminal and type "sudo gedit /etc/default/grub"
    Type your password

When the GRUB configuration file opens, look for the line:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
    and add libata.force=noncq nolapic inside the quotes
    so it should look like:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="libata.force=noncq nolapic"

Save and close the file

Type in terminal: sudo update-grub

Now your Ubuntu GRUB configuration should be fixed, next time you turn on the computer, hold "alt" during boot and select "Windows" then select "Ubuntu" and it should load fine and not freeze intermittently.

Hope this helps others that have the same problem, again thanks to kjano and vic.jang

Beans

vic.jang

The wifi drivers worked for me out of the box. When I load the live usb stick and click on try ubuntu or install ubuntu. Check to install the 3rd party software on the bottom. On the next page, if you wait a few seconds, broadcom drivers will get loaded and it will show you the nearby networks. At that point, my wifi drivers work. Hope this helps.

Beans

bmerlover,
    Thanks for the summary, that would help many users like us save a lot of time.

I still have two questions though.

1. Doing it your way, are you booting using grub-efi like kjano said?
    Or is it maybe still grub in bios compatibility mode? (Is there even such thing? I never actually understand this efi/bios thing)

2. What is the advantage of using grub only over Refind+grub?
    I read some post and saw something related to Intel / nvidia graphics.
    but again I don't know the answer and don't really understand why efi/bios would affect those...

kjano, can you help clarify these?
    I guess you might know the answers, cuz you know much more about this than I do

Quote Originally Posted by bmerlover View Post
    First of all, thank you kjano and vic.jang

You were right, you don't need refind. When I boot the computer, I just hold the alt option and select "windows" which loads ubuntu grub and I select ubuntu from that menu and ubuntu loads.

I found this site based on the libata.force=noncq , http://www.howtoeverything.net/linux...er-ssd-upgrade

This a summary of what I did to fix the install.

Removed refind (optional) from OS X
    Temporary solution to login to Ubuntu from GRUB (fixes purple screen freeze after selecting Ubuntu):
    Logged in Ubuntu by modifying the file directly from grub by pressing 'e' while 'ubuntu' was highlighted and added "nolapic" next to "quiet splash".
    So it looked like this " quiet splash nolapic "
    or you can just load the live usb stick and modify grub directly.

Once you get into Ubuntu, this is the permanent fix:
    Open up the terminal and type "sudo gedit /etc/default/grub"
    Type your password

When the GRUB configuration file opens, look for the line:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
    and add libata.force=noncq nolapic inside the quotes
    so it should look like:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="libata.force=noncq nolapic"

Save and close the file

Type in terminal: sudo update-grub

Now your Ubuntu GRUB configuration should be fixed, next time you turn on the computer, hold "alt" during boot and select "Windows" then select "Ubuntu" and it should load fine and not freeze intermittently.

Hope this helps others that have the same problem, again thanks to kjano and vic.jang

Beans

FYI: this is supposed to fix the sound: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1247475 but it does not work for me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kjano View Post
    FYI: this is supposed to fix the sound: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1247475 but it does not work for me.
    Huh. I wonder how much of this stems from the discrete gpu vs integrated. Just tried this and it fixed my speakers, but I'm assuming it doesn't work on your end because of the hardware discrepancy.

Beans

yes, that may well be the case. So you have the integrated graphics. anyway, great that your speakers work now.

Beans

13.10 need to fix the EFI boot order after installation

Thank you Conan for your lead! I have successfully installed Ubuntu 13.10 on a MacBookPro11,1 (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013). The installation went smoothly but I could not boot into Ubuntu. After hours of trying, I finally figured it out. The following are what I did (same steps as Conan's except Step 5):

1. Download 13.10 NON-MAC iso and put it onto flash drive via Startup Disk Creator (or unetbootin).
    2. Boot up with OPTION key held, and select the EFI icon to boot the flash drive.
    3. Enter live mode (i.e. "Try Ubuntu").
    4. Install. Wipe out existing partitions and create new ones: i) 200MiB efi, bootable, mounted to /boot/efi; ii) 20GiB ext4, mounted to /; iii) 8GiB swap; iv) rest ext4, mounted to /home.
    5. After installation, fix the EFI boot order (The EFI BootOrder was 0080 but ubuntu was listed as Boot0000*).

sudo apt-get install efibootmgr
    sudo efibootmgr ## display boot order information
    sudo efibootmgr -o 0 ## set boot order to 0000 first
    sudo shutdown -r now

6. Edit grub configuration file /etc/default/grub (one line): GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="libata.force=noncq" and then 'sudo update-grub'
    7. Install kernel 3.12. Thanks, kjano!
    8. Fix speakers (following https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1247475). Thanks, kjano!

(There is no need of rEFIt or rEFInd or boot-repair. I wasted hours trying various options of boot-repair to no avail.)
    Last edited by lichun1668; November 13th, 2013 at 09:37 PM.

Beans

Can anyone comment on whether standby (suspend-to-RAM) works on any of the new Pros?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by diggory-hardy View Post
    Can anyone comment on whether standby (suspend-to-RAM) works on any of the new Pros?
    Mine does not work. Mine suspends immediately when lid is closed. When I open the lid, the keyboard light is on immediately, but sometimes it took about 10 seconds for the screen to light up to show to the password/unlock interface. Sometimes the screen is never back and I have to do hard shutdown by pressing the power button for a few seconds.
    Last edited by lichun1668; November 6th, 2013 at 04:10 PM.

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast