Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Trusty GNOME Flashback sessions

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    BTW I'll prune my OP to reflect the change once I know the mods approve of my title change
    Thats a lot better title kansasnoob.!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ok, I am moving on. I have just installed gnome-session-flashback through the software centre. I now get the option of Gnome Flash back and Gnome Flashback (no effects) as well as Ubuntu. And the Launcher does not make an appearance. So, apart from the Unity type notifications Gnome Flashback seems to be insulated from Unity.

I noted that software centre describes gnome-session-flashback as built on Gnome Panel 3. And also that Gnome Shell is a separate package as is Gnome Shell Classic. I see that the actual package for Gnome Shell Classic is gnome-shell-extensions.

So, Gnome Shell Classic is for Gnome Shell and is different from Gnome Flashback (gnome-session-flashback) which is for Unity based versions of Ubuntu. Which Edubuntu now is. This is my thinking.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Most recent update for Edubuntu wiped gnome-flashback (no effects) . Will not come up.

Beans

I'm running Ubuntu Trusty here and all is well so far

Beans

Something cool I discovered is that since Precise 'gnome-tweak-tool' now has much lighter demands:

Commandline: /usr/sbin/synaptic
    Install: gir1.2-gdesktopenums-3.0:i386 (3.8.0-1ubuntu1, automatic), gnome-tweak-tool:i386 (3.8.1-0ubuntu1), gnome-shell-common:i386 (3.8.4-0ubuntu5, automatic), gir1.2-gnomedesktop-3.0:i386 (3.8.4-0ubuntu1, automatic)
    So when I redo that guide I think I'll include it. It looks like that actually changed sometime in Quantal and I didn't even notice

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I'm running Ubuntu Trusty here and all is well so far

Ok.. after a 'hardboot' it came up.

false alarm..

edit .. with exception that no indicators came up on right side top panel.

.. i know there is another thread..

regards..
    Last edited by ventrical; November 12th, 2013 at 09:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Just to update here:

I am using Edubuntu and testing gnome-flashback (both). Gnome-flashback (both) work fine on Ubuntu. The current problem is with Edubuntu. I removed unity-system-compositor, but, to no avail. Apport will not send internal error report flagging unity-system-compositor.

I will use the method of creating a new user and see what happens there.

edit:

Nope .. no go, no indicators on top right panel.(Edubuntu 64bit).
    Last edited by ventrical; November 13th, 2013 at 04:13 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Edubuntu fine here, even after to day's update (13th) which brought in a kernel update.

I ran a little memory usage experiment using System Monitor right after loading. Ubuntu = 389 MiB; Flaskback = 335 MiB and Flashback (no effects) = 316 MiB. Total RAM = 1GB.

I have also noticed that when using the flashback session the screen lock log back in screen has a top panel like the one in Gnome 3 Shell. And another thing, Flashback has a Background utility similar to the one in gnome 3 shell but Ubuntu presents the normal Ubuntu Appearance utility. Also this Edubuntu has Ubuntu Web Browser (Browser) as well as Firefox.

Edubuntu is quite a remix! Now, a combination of Edubuntu and Ubuntu Studio would be something. Imagine how long it would take to install that remix.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

For some reason I decided to use synaptic to download gnome-core, which , of course, is gnome-shell... so.. I'll be looking at fixing this one .. umm.. soon lol

Beans

Re: Trusty GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

I hope the mods are OK with the latest title change.

It's clear to me now that step #1 in this endeavor needs to be defining the difference between what is now "classic" and the "flashback" sessions.

My personal focus will remain on "Flashback (no effects)" but I welcome comments about the other sessions

Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast