Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

Beans

Re: Trusty GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

@ Alberts,

I was a bit confused about the "Other" section of the menu and since we're focusing mostly on Edubuntu, Ubuntu, etc I spent the time to really dig into this

I know that you'd suggested here that we roll back to "gnome-menus 3.4.0" but I think in order to NOT break Unity protocol we should only roll back to "3.6.0-0ubuntu1" as it was in Quantal because "Other" needs to be present to display lenses and webapps I guess

But the "System Settings tree view" is an absolute waste of space as are "Sundry" and "Utilities" since they only served to mimic the GNOME Classic "Applications Menu" extension.

Would you agree?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzabin View Post
    Gnome 14.04 'Flashback with compiz'

As said by Cavsfan "But, the future is looking brighter. "

For the very first time I've got top and bottom panel, and I can't add my normal indicators/apps to the top panel, even time....can't add date to it

meant to mention, right-click top or bottom panels don't do anything either

any help appreciated

Hold down the Windows (Super) Key + alt, then right click on the top/bottom panel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    @ Alberts,

I was a bit confused about the "Other" section of the menu and since we're focusing mostly on Edubuntu, Ubuntu, etc I spent the time to really dig into this

I know that you'd suggested here that we roll back to "gnome-menus 3.4.0" but I think in order to NOT break Unity protocol we should only roll back to "3.6.0-0ubuntu1" as it was in Quantal because "Other" needs to be present to display lenses and webapps I guess

But the "System Settings tree view" is an absolute waste of space as are "Sundry" and "Utilities" since they only served to mimic the GNOME Classic "Applications Menu" extension.

Would you agree?
    I have never installed Edubuntu or any other ubuntu version. I am using only Ubuntu.

In way I would do it, it won't break anything. My idea is to ship new file with gnome-panel - just take menu file from older gnome-menus version (https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-menus) and rename it to for example flashback-applications.menu and use this file with flashback session / gnome-panel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

AlanF, thanks so much for that info

Hazz

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm with Hazzabin... I've finally managed to get top and bottom panels that look like top and bottom panels... and with AlanF's input I'm slowly building some functionality into those panels. If I can just remember why I wanted to do this I'll be batting 1000... oh yeah, random masochistic tendencies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

PJs Ronin, thank you, was starting to think it was only me with those issues

If a solution for "indicator-applet-complete" not wanting to go into the panel I could not find it, and/or is this a bug?

Beans

I guess I should try a Compiz session sometime but I'm mostly concerned about the Metacity session

If someone does figure out how to get a sweet GNOME Flashback (Compiz) session working I'd love to include a link to it in my OP

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PJs Ronin View Post
    I'm with Hazzabin... I've finally managed to get top and bottom panels that look like top and bottom panels... and with AlanF's input I'm slowly building some functionality into those panels. If I can just remember why I wanted to do this I'll be batting 1000... oh yeah, random masochistic tendencies.
    I think I must also suffer from random masochistic tendencies

I'm personally very happy with gnome-shell (used to be happy with Unity) but it's not just about me

Some people want an older style DE and sometimes you have two or more users in the same household that want different DE's on the same puter. That's why I focus on installing as little as possible, and removing NOTHING!

Keeping as many changes as possible at the user level is a major focus
    Last edited by kansasnoob; January 13th, 2014 at 05:35 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzabin View Post
    Gnome 14.04 'Flashback with compiz'

As said by Cavsfan "But, the future is looking brighter. "

For the very first time I've got top and bottom panel, and I can't add my normal indicators/apps to the top panel, even time....can't add date to it

meant to mention, right-click top or bottom panels don't do anything either

any help appreciated
    It look some serious searching. I found it on about page 4 or 5 of the google results but, I finally got the date, time and even the seconds to work.

If you don't already have dconf Editor - sudo apt-get install dconf-tools. It will be under Applications > Sundry.

I'm pretty sure I had entered this in the top in custom-time-format %m-%d-%Y %l:%M %p. (month day year hour:minute AM/PM)
    It doesn't show that now but I think it took effect judging by my desktop below.

Screenshot from 2014-01-13 14:33:59.png

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I guess I should try a Compiz session sometime but I'm mostly concerned about the Metacity session

If someone does figure out how to get a sweet GNOME Flashback (Compiz) session working I'd love to include a link to it in my OP
    Here is a brief test session with compiz and ccsm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbXt...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by ventrical; January 13th, 2014 at 09:12 PM.

Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast