Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Trusty GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    I'm still puzzled by the lack of interest in having a working screensaver in Gnome Flashback. It seems fairly simple to remove the requirement for gnome-screensaver as a dependency of gnome-session-flashback.
    gnome-screensaver is needed for screen lock functionality. If dependency will be removed than gnome-screensaver wont install when installing gnome-session-flashback. This will make new bug/regression.

So I am pretty sure gnome-screensaver won't be removed as dependency for gnome-session-flashback.

And I think Jeremy Bicha solution probably wont work. Checked gnome-panel code. Gnome screensaver provides dbus service which is required in gnome-panel for lock functionality. In this case it does not matter that XScreenSaver provides lock functionality too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    (c) What was (c) ............... oh yeah, my mind ain't so sharp
    LoL I'm right there with you on that point! I've had this neurological disorder for the last 12+ years and take some heavy anti-seizure medication which takes a lot out of me.
    I don't like to get out but when I do I get wore out fairly easy. I've been messing with computers since I was 19 and that is probably what keeps me alive today. Always messing with something on here.
    I can't drive which is frustrating but I ride a bike for exercise and am wore plum out after that.

On top of that in a couple months I'll be elgible for a senior citizens discount. So, I know exactly where you're coming from. The only thing that could be worse is if I had OCD. And I am not absolutely sure I don't.

Good luck on your goals!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by albertsmuktupavels View Post
    gnome-screensaver is needed for screen lock functionality. If dependency will be removed than gnome-screensaver wont install when installing gnome-session-flashback. This will make new bug/regression.

So I am pretty sure gnome-screensaver won't be removed as dependency for gnome-session-flashback.

And I think Jeremy Bicha solution probably wont work. Checked gnome-panel code. Gnome screensaver provides dbus service which is required in gnome-panel for lock functionality. In this case it does not matter that XScreenSaver provides lock functionality too.
    Gnome-screensaver is worthless IMO. It only provides a lock and I don't like having time and date displayed on my monitor forever when I could have Xscreensaver and many of it's addons displaying a working screensaverr.
    Besides that Xscreensaver is being maintained while Gnome-screensaver is not. If it were this would not be a problem.
    When I want my screen to lock I can just check the box on Xscreensaver. It locks just fine here.

Tell that to Jeremy Bicha. I am not sure what happened I never heard back from him. But Xscreensaver, which works can be used on Unity, Flashback, etc. and it actually works. So taking out that dependency is simple and will cause no harm that I see.
    My saucy install has had the dependency removed and it works well. On Trusty I just have the script to kill gnome screensaver and they both work to my satisfaction.

Beans
    Distro

Tell that to Jeremy Bicha. I am not sure what happened I never heard back from him. But Xscreensaver, which works can be used on Unity, Flashback, etc. and it actually works. So taking out that dependency is simple and will cause no harm that I see.
    My saucy install has had the dependency removed and it works well. On Trusty I just have the script to kill gnome screensaver and they both work to my satisfaction.
    Removing dependency will make part of gnome-panel to not work. If I am not wrong than lock button applet will not work, Lock/Switch Account probably too. If it is not problem for you, it may be for others.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Jeremy Bicha is no longer doing development work on Ubuntu Gnome. Or very little. Personal reasons.

http://jeremy.bicha.net/

I’m sad to announce that due to immense personal and family responsibilities, I simply won’t have the time or ability to contribute to the Ubuntu GNOME effort much longer.
    Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Removing dependency will make part of gnome-panel to not work. If I am not wrong than lock button applet will not work, Lock/Switch Account probably too. If it is not problem for you, it may be for others.
    Maybe there are reasons but, there is a solution. The lock on Xscreensaver works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Jeremy Bicha is no longer doing development work on Ubuntu Gnome. Or very little. Personal reasons.

http://jeremy.bicha.net/

Regards.
    Yes, I remember seeing that some time ago.

Regards.

Beans
    Distro

Maybe there are reasons but, there is a solution. The lock on Xscreensaver works just fine.
    Best solution without much work could be moving gnome-screensaver from Depends to Recommends. This way screensaver will be installed for most users and will allow to remove it without removing flashback session. I created branch with this change and proposed for merging.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Best solution without much work could be moving gnome-screensaver from Depends to Recommends. This way screensaver will be installed for most users and will allow to remove it without removing flashback session. I created branch with this change and proposed for merging.
    That sounds like a good idea. I look forward to seeing it in Trusty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Trusty GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions (Lubuntu problem)

Had the bright (?) idea of using Flashback as my desktop in a Lubuntu Trusty base. Appeared to have installed OK, but choosing Flashback No Effects at logon, ended up with a desktop with solid empty black panels (see att). Alt-T into a terminal got kbd operation, but nothing changed the panel contents.

Piggybacked onto Launchpad #1245209. Don't really care whether this gets fixed or disallowed. It was just another way to provide a lighter Trusty.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    /Guy

Beans

I was searching for something else and stumbled upon this:

https://wiki.gnome.org/GnomeFlashback

Really good info so I wanted to share it

Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast