Re: evolution of gnome classic/fallback/flashback sessions

Closed for staff review.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re-opened.

While this forum is a 'rolling' one at present - it is for the dev version and we want to keep it as that.

We would rather that this thread deals with the development version only, if it needs to be about more than one then it will need to be moved elsewhere - at which point no discussion of trusty in it until next year.

I've not edited this post to remove references to released versions, preferring to keep it as it is. But please make sure to keep ontopic for the forum going forward.

Thanks for understanding.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Re-opened.

While this forum is a 'rolling' one at present - it is for the dev version and we want to keep it as that.

We would rather that this thread deals with the development version only, if it needs to be about more than one then it will need to be moved elsewhere - at which point no discussion of trusty in it until next year.

I've not edited this post to remove references to released versions, preferring to keep it as it is. But please make sure to keep ontopic for the forum going forward.

Thanks for understanding.
    Many thanks

Do the mods agree with my renaming?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Trusty GNOME Flashback sessions

That's fine

Beans

BTW I'll prune my OP to reflect the change once I know the mods approve of my title change

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@ventrical

I am sorry that I failed to reply to a question you asked of me. I have only just seen it. This comment was based upon the results that you and kansasnoob had declared. I was just thinking aloud.

So, if flashback (no effects) works in Edubuntu and Ubuntu but not in Ubuntu Gnome there has to be a reason.
    I have now done a little testing of my own. I have just installed Ubuntu Gnome (Trusty) from yesterday's QA ISO image. Things seemed to go well. I get an option for Gnome Classic but no option for Gnome classic (no effects). Which is not consistent with what I found on Edubuntu (saucy converted to trusty - no trusty iso image as of yesterday). I have not yet installed gnome-panel on Ubuntu (trusty).

Now here is a weird thing. The Gnome classic session looks classic enough as I remember it all those years ago. But when I move the mouse into the top left corner of the screen the Gnome 3 shell appears as if I had done that action in a Gnome 3 shell session. I suppose that is because Gnome Classic on Gnome 3 shell is a set of Gnome 3 extensions.

So, I am guessing that there are code differences between Ubuntu Gnome - Gnome Classic and Edubuntu and Ubuntu Gnome Flashback. I would also guess that as far as the Gnome Devs are concerned Gnome Classic (no effects) is dead and gone.

I do not use alternative desktops. They bring in more than the User Interface. I am of the opinion that they have reached a point to be too top heavy to be practical.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; November 2nd, 2013 at 02:22 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    @ventrical

I am sorry that I failed to reply to a question you asked of me. I have only just seen it. This comment was based upon the results that you and kansasnoob had declared. I was just thinking aloud.

I have now done a little testing of my own. I have just installed Ubuntu Gnome (Trusty) from yesterday's QA ISO image. Things seemed to go well. I get an option for Gnome Classic but no option for Gnome classic (no effects). Which is not consistent with what I found on Edubuntu (saucy converted to trusty - no trusty iso image as of yesterday). I have not yet installed gnome-panel on Ubuntu (trusty).

Now here is a weird thing. The Gnome classic session looks classic enough as I remember it all those years ago. But when I move the mouse into the top left corner of the screen the Gnome 3 shell appears as if I had done that action in a Gnome 3 shell session. I suppose that is because Gnome Classic on Gnome 3 shell is a set of Gnome 3 extensions.

So, I am guessing that there are code differences between Ubuntu Gnome - Gnome Classic and Edubuntu and Ubuntu Gnome Flashback. I would also guess that as far as the Gnome Devs are concerned Gnome Classic (no effects) is dead and gone.

I do not use alternative desktops. They bring in more than the User Interface. I am of the opinion that they have reached a point to be too top heavy to be practical.

Regards.
    That is exactly what I've been trying to address

Classic is now 'gnome-shell' with some cherry picked extensions to make it look like gnome 2, but it's truly gnome-shell running on top of Mutter.

The new "classic" is in no way related to the fallback/flashback sessions

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    BTW I'll prune my OP to reflect the change once I know the mods approve of my title change
    Title fine as elfy said. Dont forget to post any saucy bugs with workarounds in here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2182038

Cheers. Now back on topic.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Several of the staff discussed the thread, and we all give our approval.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    @ventrical

Regards.
    @graham

OK.. Thank you grahammechanical for replying to my question. The reason I asked is so that I can better synchronize my responses while doing a duplicate proceedure. Also .. I just wanted to note that the alternative desktops (xubuntu-desktop,kubuntu-desktop, lubuntu-desktop..etc..) are not officially supported by Canonical (although they may have modules and components that are).

Regards..

Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast