Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

Beans

Re: Trusty GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

ok, now I have tried to upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04, and using flashback with metacity:

1) the indicator-applet crashs constantly (paste.ubuntu.com/7206916) - while I do not rely on them, it would be nice if these worked. I have also xfce installed, and the indicators work flawlessly there with the xfce-indicator panel plugin... I will provide more info if needed

2) the system menu as I knew it is gone (I have used classic-panel in 12.04, which was a fork of fallback, which had restored the system menu) - Is the the settings.menu file is not used any more? An option (dconf key or so) to get that back would be great.
    I do not understand how this new system tools menu works, it is hardcoded? I wanted to get some launchers into it, but I just could place them into the Administration or settings submenus...

3) the tooltips are not word-warped any more, meaning that if you write more text then usual in a .desktops Comment= tag, it spreads text over the whole screen, instead of being warped into a nice formfactor. I also experienced that when I try to alter a value in dconf editor, if tha value has a dropdown menu, it also spreads to the whole width of the screen

4) the size of the menu is not any more controllable? https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1285683
    gtk-icon-sizes, panel-menu-bar panel-menu set to 16,16 does not work any more... I really hate these gnome devs

5) custom keybindings are not possible? the metacity ones do not work anymore, the mutter ones neither...
    Last edited by cedric5; April 5th, 2014 at 01:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: Trusty GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

Installed Trusty from a daily bulid (4.04.14), then immediately installed gnome-session-flashback.
    My preference is Metacity. System is pretty responsive for such an old laptop originally purchased with Windows XP.
    System details included in my signature.
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty | Mate 16.04
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | MATE 16.04 + Win 7
    Regards, Pete

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cedric5 View Post
    ok, now I have tried to upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04, and using flashback with metacity:

1) the indicator-applet crashs constantly (paste.ubuntu.com/7206916) - while I do not rely on them, it would be nice if these worked. I have also xfce installed, and the indicators work flawlessly there with the xfce-indicator panel plugin... I will provide more info if needed

2) the system menu as I knew it is gone (I have used classic-panel in 12.04, which was a fork of fallback, which had restored the system menu) - Is the the settings.menu file is not used any more? An option (dconf key or so) to get that back would be great.
    I do not understand how this new system tools menu works, it is hardcoded? I wanted to get some launchers into it, but I just could place them into the Administration or settings submenus...

3) the tooltips are not word-warped any more, meaning that if you write more text then usual in a .desktops Comment= tag, it spreads text over the whole screen, instead of being warped into a nice formfactor. I also experienced that when I try to alter a value in dconf editor, if tha value has a dropdown menu, it also spreads to the whole width of the screen

4) the size of the menu is not any more controllable? https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1285683
    gtk-icon-sizes, panel-menu-bar panel-menu set to 16,16 does not work any more... I really hate these gnome devs

5) custom keybindings are not possible? the metacity ones do not work anymore, the mutter ones neither...
    I refuse to respond to posts that include comments like, "I really hate these gnome devs"

The devs are people just like you and I.

If you'd care to rephrase and ask questions instead of spewing hate some of us may be able to help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pfeiffep View Post
    Installed Trusty from a daily bulid (4.04.14), then immediately installed gnome-session-flashback.
    My preference is Metacity. System is pretty responsive for such an old laptop originally purchased with Windows XP.
    System details included in my signature.
    +1!

The Edubuntu flashback + metacity session is fairly solid.

I'm not totally happy with the menu changes but it's good enough

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    +1!

The Edubuntu flashback + metacity session is fairly solid.

I'm not totally happy with the menu changes but it's good enough
    Thanks to you I was able to execute a simple command to move my window control to the right.....Keep up the good work!
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty | Mate 16.04
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | MATE 16.04 + Win 7
    Regards, Pete

Beans

It appears that the WINE menu no longer shows up as a seperate menu entry in the Applications menu under Gnome Flashback in 14.04.

All the installed WINE applications are showing up under the "Other" Menu Item.

Is this a new behaviour in this version or is something not configured correctly?

The ony thing I found that worked was to manually edit the gnome-flashback-applications.menu to include a WINE entry but that did not pickup any of the installed applications even when they were reinstalled.

It seems that all local menu configurations are not used any longer correct?

Any help on what to look at would be appreciated.

Beans

thats not hate I feel, it's being in despair, hence the . Sorry if I acted too harsh. At least I know how to patch gtk, so I can fix this for me, but the extra work is getting more and more, specifically in things where they remove functionality without considering that people use the software for many different purposes...

It appears that the WINE menu no longer shows up
    try the MainMenu applet, and see if wine gets shown there
    Last edited by cedric5; April 6th, 2014 at 07:23 AM.

Beans

When I look at the main menu editor it shows the WINE entry including all the applicable programs as available and checked as active. But the WINE menu item is not showing in the applications menu.

Beans

I don't use Wine but wanted to be sure you're aware that after we got this bug fixed we can no longer edit the menus using the Main Menu buttons, but the command here does work:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...6#post12971626

wine_menu_two.jpg

wine_menu_one.jpg

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cedric5 View Post
    thats not hate I feel, it's being in despair, hence the . Sorry if I acted too harsh. At least I know how to patch gtk, so I can fix this for me, but the extra work is getting more and more, specifically in things where they remove functionality without considering that people use the software for many different purposes...

try the MainMenu applet, and see if wine gets shown there
    I've forced myself to use Trusty since March 27th and I share in your frustrations

Those frustrations are not just limited to the flashback + metacity session though - I definitely plan on using Precise until at least 14.04.1 unless something huge changes within the next several days.

I'm glad Ubuntu Precise is supported until April 2017

But hating devs in not acceptable, they are just people after-all.
    Last edited by kansasnoob; April 7th, 2014 at 03:28 PM.

Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast