Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: evolution of gnome classic/fallback/flashback sessions

Continuity is a benefit, by no means a hindrance...
    Eagerly (a)waiting to see development of promised thread...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    But the reason I asked permission to do this thread is that I also need to follow up on some Saucy bugs with "classic/fallback/flashback" because I didn't even try it until Saucy was released
    Just for others. The new package is gnome-session-flashback https://wiki.gnome.org/GnomeFlashback
    gnome-session-fallback just installs the above package.

Any Saucy related bugs and fixes needs to go in here > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2182038

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I think it belongs here because we clearly say that this is not a standard support forum.
    The notice in this forum is to try and forestall some of those coming here after searching and finding threads started during the dev period.

For example - we've got 6 months worth of Raring followed by 6 of Saucy - shortly we'll have 6 months of Trusty - we don't want people dragging Saucy threads up once we are into Trusty.

This forum is not really the right place for Tutorials of any sort - for one thing just as we made a change and kept the forum open - we could in future decide it doesn't work and go back to previous procedure and close forum at dev end.

If you want to actually run with a Tutorial for it - and keep it up to date then I'm happy enough to move the thread to the correct place and clean it up a bit.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ditto here. I started with the Oct 21 iso image and other than a slight hiccup with the "extras" repo things are now pretty much OK

But the reason I asked permission to do this thread is that I also need to follow up on some Saucy bugs with "classic/fallback/flashback" because I didn't even try it until Saucy was released

The beauty of having an Ubuntu +1 thread is that we can test continuously from one cycle to another so this thread should hopefully allow us to record the changes as they occur, I just got lazy about testing the Metacity session so now I have to catch up before the release of Trusty
    Much needed! and many thanks kansasnoob.
    Last edited by QDR06VV9; October 31st, 2013 at 03:08 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    The notice in this forum is to try and forestall some of those coming here after searching and finding threads started during the dev period.

For example - we've got 6 months worth of Raring followed by 6 of Saucy - shortly we'll have 6 months of Trusty - we don't want people dragging Saucy threads up once we are into Trusty.

This forum is not really the right place for Tutorials of any sort - for one thing just as we made a change and kept the forum open - we could in future decide it doesn't work and go back to previous procedure and close forum at dev end.

If you want to actually run with a Tutorial for it - and keep it up to date then I'm happy enough to move the thread to the correct place and clean it up a bit.
    NO! I have nothing worthy of a How To ATM

Repeating myself; I expected the "fallback" session to die when Precise reached EOL in April 2017, but many things have changed

If I can't discuss the changes here please move this thread to "recurring" so almost no one will see it and users can remain uninformed.

Another huge reason for having this thread where it's at is that I need feedback from other active testers, but I have no choice other than to live with the forum mods decisions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Just for others. The new package is gnome-session-flashback https://wiki.gnome.org/GnomeFlashback
    gnome-session-fallback just installs the above package.

Any Saucy related bugs and fixes needs to go in here > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2182038
    I understand the difference between Saucy and Trusty .............. at this point Trusty is little more than Saucy with some cherry-picked packages

There are no official daily's for the flavors so a user can only upgrade from Saucy to Trusty, but this thread has to do with the evolution of the various gnome sessions available in the repos!

Like it or not 'gnome-panel' is in the repos and Edubuntu uses it:

edubuntu_fallback.jpg

But the changes are not well documented and unless the next UDS results in killing this session we need to work on improving both the session itself and the documentation.

It's also impossible to NOT mention any previous releases when working on documentation or bugs.

It's also worth mentioning that 12.04.4 is coming soon - probably with a Saucy hardware-enablement-stack

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

NO! I have nothing worthy of a How To ATM

Repeating myself; I expected the "fallback" session to die when Precise reached EOL in April 2017, but many things have changed

If I can't discuss the changes here please move this thread to "recurring" so almost no one will see it and users can remain uninformed.

Another huge reason for having this thread where it's at is that I need feedback from other active testers, but I have no choice other than to live with the forum mods decisions.

I am just suggesting in kind, that , perhaps you could ask the mods to drop the {evolution of gnome classic} and try for somthing like 'Edubuntu/gnome classic/fallback/flashback session Trusty'. This way I think the moderating powers that be may find it more palatable for U+1, it would be a real plug for Edubuntu (which is a diamond in the rough) and you could interject your hypothesis and work with bug fixes without fragmenting the echo.

You said "I need feedback". Please do not take offence at my words. I am hoping to be a helper here.

regards..

Beans
    Distro

@kansasnoob,

I am currently downloading 13.10 Edubuntu.iso, then will attempt to upgrade that to trusty tahr and run it on gnome flashback .. etc. Just in case if your thread gets moved I'll start another thread on Edubuntu/Gnome/Flashback (which should get a little more recognition) but I do not want to supersede the moderators either.

regards..

Beans
    Distro

I see where they are going now .. absolutely awesome.

I am in live session now about to install.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Install went great. Now in gnome flashback (no effects). Now to upgrade it to trusty. if possible ??

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast