Thread: GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Trusty GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I personally prefer just waiting for the fix to drop

The more I tweak the less I end up knowing about actual existing bugs, and we are pre-alpha
    Yes, I am aware we are pre-alpha and letting those 4 files upgrade made it go back like it was slooooooooooooooow after the panels appear.

Is everyone getting this error when a kernel gets installed as I just did on the 3.12.0-5-generic kernel:
    Code:
    Setting up linux-image-extra-3.12.0-5-generic (3.12.0-5.13) ...
    Running depmod.
    update-initramfs: deferring update (hook will be called later)
    initrd.img(/boot/initrd.img-3.12.0-5-generic
    ) points to /boot/initrd.img-3.12.0-5-generic
     (/boot/initrd.img-3.12.0-5-generic) -- doing nothing at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-extra-3.12.0-5-generic.postinst line 491.
    vmlinuz(/boot/vmlinuz-3.12.0-5-generic
    ) points to /boot/vmlinuz-3.12.0-5-generic
     (/boot/vmlinuz-3.12.0-5-generic) -- doing nothing at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-extra-3.12.0-5-generic.postinst line 491.
    I don't see the CPU being used excessively like before though.

It's a good thing I have VinDSL's conky so I can see what is happening in real time.

I wonder what mc4man's take is on this. He must have performed the steps he mentioned in post #149.

Beans

Re: glib bug report

I looked for a current bug the other other day, didn't find so filed here & for the moment may be applicable -
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...l/+bug/1256961

(- I never pin anything, if I don't want something upgraded then I simply don't upgrade it. This can be done easily in synaptic or thru sudo apt-get install --only-upgrade packagename(s) though both are not without potential pitfalls

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    At least you're having fun Explore away !!!! It's amazing how things get discovered when we do proceedures ie; as mac4man has suggested.

Regards..
    Indeed I am having fun!

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    I looked for a current bug the other other day, didn't find so filed here & for the moment may be applicable -

(- I never pin anything, if I don't want something upgraded then I simply don't upgrade it. This can be done easily in synaptic or thru sudo apt-get install --only-upgrade packagename(s) though both are not without potential pitfalls
    Thanks and I'll do that with the upgrading but it seems a bit tedious when many files need updated. I added my name to the bug. Are you all getting the error I mentioned?
    doing nothing at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-extra-3.12.0-5-generic.postinst line 491.

But I can see doing it with Synaptic pretty easily.

Thanks for the replies.

Beans

Me-too'ed & subscribed

I suspect at this point we just need to wait for the various teams to get into sync.

Beans

Re: kernel install

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Are you all getting the error I mentioned?
    doing nothing at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-extra-3.12.0-5-generic.postinst line 491.
    I don't believe that's an error, while I can't profess to really understand I take "doing nothing" as a message that nothing needs to be done in 'whatever' regard (already properly linked?

So if interested take a look at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-extra-3.12.0-5-generic.postinst line 491 & see. (as said I don't really understand it, just looking at logically

Code:
    489    }
    490    else {                  # already have proper link
    491      warn "$kimage($vmlinuz_target) points to $target ($real_target) -- doing nothing";
    492      $force_move = 0;
    493     }
    494     return $force_move;

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Looks like the libglib2.0-0 is in the upgrade.

Here goes..

edit:

Wrong machine. Belay my last..
    Last edited by ventrical; December 3rd, 2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: incorrect assumption / wrong machine..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Ok .. got the latest kernel update and it knocked out my 'Ring Switcher' function from ccsm and set it to 'Shift Switcher'. Also reset number of desktops to 1. Now cannot get ring switcher to work on Trusty gnome-flashback (with compiz).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Me-too'ed & subscribed

I suspect at this point we just need to wait for the various teams to get into sync.
    Good deal. I went ahead and downgraded the packages, rebooted and it's back to being very fast. Man it was as slow as my windows 7 booting up. Can't have none of that.
    But, this time as suggested I will not lock the packages. I will just selectively upgrade all but those 4 packages.

I don't believe that's an error, while I can't profess to really understand I take "doing nothing" as a message that nothing needs to be done in 'whatever' regard (already properly linked?

So if interested take a look at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-extra-3.12.0-5-generic.postinst line 491 & see. (as said I don't really understand it, just looking at logically

Code:
    489    }
    490    else {                  # already have proper link
    491      warn "$kimage($vmlinuz_target) points to $target ($real_target) -- doing nothing";
    492      $force_move = 0;
    493     }
    494     return $force_move;
    So, I take it you're getting the same thing and if you say so I will not worry about it. Looking at the red on the else it does look like it's already linked.
    Thanks for showing that.

Looks like the libglib2.0-0 is in the upgrade.

Here goes..

edit:

Wrong machine. Belay my last..
    Man are we having fun or what? Thanks to all of you for helping me learn this stuff. I love learning new things.

So, I guess when the new fixed libglib comes down the pipe it will only install the latest version. Would that be correct? What will become of the bad packages when that happens?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ok .. got the latest kernel update and it knocked out my 'Ring Switcher' function from ccsm and set it to 'Shift Switcher'. Also reset number of desktops to 1. Now cannot get ring switcher to work on Trusty gnome-flashback (with compiz).
    I always for the past three or four versions have used Application Switcher in Flashback and have never had a problem. I have had the same problems you mention with any of the other ones so I stick with this one in the top left of CCSM Window Management.
    It's not perfect and it appears confusing but it works every time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I see what you mean about the potential pitfalls. I had 51 updates this morning and used the sudo apt-get install --only-upgrade command to install just 47 of them. That went fine.
    I just checked for updates again and it installed gir1.2-gmenu-3.0 gnome-menus gnome-session gnome-session-bin gnome-session-common libaudit-common libaudit1 libgnome-menu-3-0 libplymouth2 libselinux1 libssl1.0.0 openssl plymouth plymouth-label plymouth-theme-ubuntu-logo plymouth-theme-ubuntu-text python3-software-properties rsyslog software-properties-common software-properties-gtk xserver-common xserver-xephyr xserver-xorg-core.

But the recommends were rsyslog-mysql rsyslog-pgsql rsyslog-doc rsyslog-gnutls rsyslog-gssapi rsyslog-relp xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi
    And when I attempted to install those here's what I got:

Code:
    The following extra packages will be installed:
      dbconfig-common libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl libmysqlclient18 libpq5 librelp0 libterm-readkey-perl mysql-client mysql-client-5.5 mysql-client-core-5.5 mysql-common postgresql-client postgresql-client-9.3
      postgresql-client-common
    Suggested packages:
      libmldbm-perl libnet-daemon-perl libplrpc-perl libsql-statement-perl postgresql-9.3 postgresql-doc-9.3 gnutls-bin krb5-user mysql-server postgresql
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      dbconfig-common libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl libmysqlclient18 libpq5 librelp0 libterm-readkey-perl mysql-client mysql-client-5.5 mysql-client-core-5.5 mysql-common postgresql-client postgresql-client-9.3
      postgresql-client-common rsyslog-doc rsyslog-gnutls rsyslog-gssapi rsyslog-mysql rsyslog-pgsql rsyslog-relp xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi
    0 upgraded, 22 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
    Need to get 13.8 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 62.3 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
    I aborted that operation not knowing what the heck I was doing

And what about the libglib files when the good ones come down the pipe?

Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast