Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Trusty GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

I was out and about yesterday so I did not get the change from flashback and flashback (no effects) to flashback (compiz) and flashback (metacity) until just now (early afternoon - UK). This is what I have found in my very unscientific experimentation using System Monitor.

1) there is a long delay for the app indicators (network, sound, calendar, power cog) to appear both with flashback (compiz ) and with flashback (metacity)

2) memory footprint is greatest with Ubuntu+Unity then with either flashback and flashback (metacity) has the lower memory footprint.

3) to have the lowest memory footprint remove (if possible) any app indicators that are useful but not necessary. The app indicators push flashback memory footprint from just over 200 MiB to well over 300 Mib.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I was out and about yesterday so I did not get the change from flashback and flashback (no effects) to flashback (compiz) and flashback (metacity) until just now (early afternoon - UK). This is what I have found in my very unscientific experimentation using System Monitor.

1) there is a long delay for the app indicators (network, sound, calendar, power cog) to appear both with flashback (compiz ) and with flashback (metacity)

Regards.
    +1..

Yeah .. really weird .. I thought the desktop was busted , but it came up after while.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    +1..

Yeah .. really weird .. I thought the desktop was busted , but it came up after while.
    Very, very slowly ........... perhaps two to three minutes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post

On a fresh install with decent hardware see no delay, Desktop loads with indicators in place (& all fully functional

So maybe old install and or older hardware?

Do see a possible upcoming issue with some possible changes in xorg-xserver that could appear when using a usb mouse but have to wait & see what/if xorg is upgraded to.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    On a fresh install with decent hardware see no delay, Desktop loads with indicators in place (& all fully functional

So maybe old install and or older hardware?
    nVidia Ge210/218 a@ 4.167GHz .. very slow to load desktop..

Code:
    Linux ventrical-System-Product-Name 3.12.0-4-generic #12-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 22:41:11 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux
    ventrical@ventrical-System-Product-Name:~$
    edit:: Seems to be isolated to nVidia graphics. Works really snappy on Intel Core2Duo, Intel(R) 965Q .
    Last edited by ventrical; December 1st, 2013 at 12:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Very, very slowly ........... perhaps two to three minutes.

Ran it on an AMD Athlon 6000 2X Dual with nVidia GeForce 210/218 and it took over a minute for the desktop to show up after recent updates. So thats 2 nVidia adaptors emulating this behaviour.

Looks like nVidia problem with nouveau ?

Gallium 0.4 on NVA8
    Last edited by ventrical; December 1st, 2013 at 01:03 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Ran it on an AMD Athlon 6000 2X Dual with nVidia GeForce 210/218 and it took over a minute for the desktop to show up after recent updates. So thats 2 nVidia adaptors emulating this behaviour.

Looks like nVidia problem with nouveau ?

Gallium 0.4 on NVA8
    I can't ck. nouveau on this machine, it's either Intel or Nvidia thru nvidia-prime.
    The former works great, while the later works there are certainly issues, mainly with gnome-settings-daemon which always crashes.
    In the case of gnome-flashback session, g-s-d crashing causes all sorts of issues including missing indicators & wrong theming for gtk2 apps

(likely no real comparison between Nvidia or nouveau & nvidia-prime.., but you could check your various logs, probably in .cache/upstart

Beans

Its not just Nvidia that is causing the problem. I am getting the same thing with Intel graphics.

If you watch System Monitor processes you will see that Compiz and Unity-system-compositor come to life when the problem clears (Flashback with compiz)

Beans

OK, my Ubuntu install is getting a bit long in the tooth:

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "Trusty Tahr" - Release i386 (20131021.1)
    But I get the same results from this Ubuntu GNOME install:

Ubuntu-GNOME 14.04 "Trusty Tahr" - Alpha i386 (20131126)
    I should maybe note that I'm sure it's not due to the display manager because Ubuntu uses lightdm with the unity-greeter, while Ubuntu GNOME uses gdm, and I've tried lightdm with the gtk-greeter in Ubuntu GNOME with the same results.

I'm using bare metal:

Intel Atom CPU 230 @ 1.60GHz
    Intel 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
    Intel N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
    Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
    2GB DDR2 RAM
    And when I initially boot into Trusty Flashback using either Metacity or Compiz I get a basically blank screen other than gnome-panel:

IMG_4634.JPG

Then I must wait between 2 to 3 minutes for the rest of the desktop to load and for the menus and apps to respond

Edit: I just decided to try the standard Ubuntu/Unity DE and it also loads very slowly on a full reboot.
    Last edited by kansasnoob; December 1st, 2013 at 02:33 PM.

Beans

Well I resurrected an older laptop (core2duo, nvidia 8400m, 6-7 year old hdd, ect.

On login both the gnome panels show immediately but -
    The sound, datetime & session indicators take about 1 min to appear
    nautilus is not handling the Desktop until either clicking on anything in Places or waiting until the 3 missing indicators load

Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast