Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Trusty GNOME Classic & Flashback sessions

Why is the name of the session (so) important?
    In how many occasions do You see that name?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    Why is the name of the session (so) important?
    In how many occasions do You see that name?
    Eeerm, it's just the matter of constant renaming creating confusion. I know we had to rename from "classic" to "fallback" to accommodate the new gnome-shell/mutter based classic session, but I never understood the need for the rename to flashback. We need to settle on a sensible session name at some point and stick with it

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Eeerm, it's just the matter of constant renaming creating confusion. I know we had to rename from "classic" to "fallback" to accommodate the new gnome-shell/mutter based classic session, but I never understood the need for the rename to flashback. We need to settle on a sensible session name at some point and stick with it
    I'm a guy interested (only) in substance... You could call it (random sequence of symbols) and I would not care as long as it works as it should or better...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Not that I know squat....

But the naming issue is important to me because the last time I tried to use a 'gnome' I couldn't make it do what I wanted it to do and what I believed it could do. Turns out I was making changes in Compiz that were not being reflected in gnome because the gnome I was using relied on metacity. As a noob I thought CCSM would make changes across any 'gnome' (wrong!) and at the end of it I don't even know which gnome I was using so I gave the whole thing away and relied on Unity. I fully admit my inexperience was a major cause of my problems, but the gnome name changes, especially where there is a similarity for different flavors, didn't help.

I'd really like to try gnome again, but until I can get a definitive "who's who in the gnome zoo" I won't touch it with a barge pole.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    I'm a guy interested (only) in substance... You could call it (random sequence of symbols) and I would not care as long as it works as it should or better...
    It becomes substantive because you have to be able to explain to the uninformed end user what the different session names mean

A few people had posted about confusion with the new GNOME classic session not being "editable" as the older "classic" and "classic (no effects)" sessions were.

Now that I understand what's going on I agree with albertsmuktupavels, just dropping the word "with" from the session names in Trusty-proposed makes sense, I was simply confused by what the names are in Trusty-now and who was proposing what

Sometimes I'm thick like that

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzabin View Post
    Trusty Flashback, I've got compiz working really well, either with 'wall' or 'cube'

Only downside I've got nothing showing in top or bottom 'task-bar' or 'panels' whatever they is called both top and bottom completely black, lucky I got cairo-dock.

ideas how to fix please
    I've been focusing solely on Flashback (Metacity) so I'm clueless, but I wanted to bump this so it's not lost in the session name chatter

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzabin View Post
    Trusty Flashback, I've got compiz working really well, either with 'wall' or 'cube'

Only downside I've got nothing showing in top or bottom 'task-bar' or 'panels' whatever they is called both top and bottom completely black, lucky I got cairo-dock.

ideas how to fix please
    1) Are you only one with black panels or there are other users with same problem?
    2) Black panels with both session? metacity and compiz.
    3) Can you access panel properties? Alt + Right click on panel.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by albertsmuktupavels View Post
    1) Are you only one with black panels or there are other users with same problem?
    Saucy:zika:super-latestGnome:No, he is not the only one.
    2) Black panels with both session? metacity and compiz.
    Saucy:zika:super-latestGnome:Yes, partly...
    3) Can you access panel properties? Alt + Right click on panel.
    Saucy:zika:super-latestGnome:No.

Not to mention that yesterday I think GnomeClassic showed itself as GnomeShell. No time to go and see what is going on, will do that as soon as I get free man/machine minute.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PJs Ronin View Post
    Not that I know squat....

But the naming issue is important to me because the last time I tried to use a 'gnome' I couldn't make it do what I wanted it to do and what I believed it could do. Turns out I was making changes in Compiz that were not being reflected in gnome because the gnome I was using relied on metacity. As a noob I thought CCSM would make changes across any 'gnome' (wrong!) and at the end of it I don't even know which gnome I was using so I gave the whole thing away and relied on Unity. I fully admit my inexperience was a major cause of my problems, but the gnome name changes, especially where there is a similarity for different flavors, didn't help.

I'd really like to try gnome again, but until I can get a definitive "who's who in the gnome zoo" I won't touch it with a barge pole.
    I appreciate your concerns, they are shared by me

While I try to stay somewhat up-to-date on the changes as they pour in I find that it becomes more and more complicated to explain these changes to others

In order to keep this thread on topic I posted a response here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...3#post12859103

But it's certainly worth following up on here at Ubuntu +1, lets just try to keep it related to Trusty here so the mods don't shut me down.

Who's who in the GNOME zoo is a valid question for sure

And I hope I began to answer that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

I've only just gotten the choice of 'Metacity' and 'Compiz' for "Flashback"
    Metacity totally just doesn't want to work, Compiz is ok-ish but still no nothing in either top or bottom bars, cannot even do a right click for bar properties

I did try and install nvidia drivers thinking that maybe causing some of my issues, it completely crashed.......new install using 26th Nov ISO

Sure is looking like for now staying with the basic 'Gnome' for "Trusty"

ok pass my bedtime, will catch up with this in my tomorrow

Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast