Thread: Can I change my user name?

Beans

Can I change my user name?

I was a member of these forums for quite a long time, since the Hoary Hedgehog days I believe.
    I hadn't been a very active leading up to the SSO change or much after but since I tried using the forums again I signed in via an old Launchpad login.

Thing is, I don't understand the shane-animail username. I never chose it and can only asume it was automatically created based on an old email address which has long since been changed.
    Is there any way to either go back to my old username, link to or something I choose a new username?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Can I change my user name?

Sure! We're still trying to figure out how SSO generates some of the random names it seems to come up with... What was the old account name?
    It's probably just a matter of using the old email address - if it's still available.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by shane-animail View Post
    Thing is, I don't understand the shane-animail username. I never chose it and can only asume it was automatically created based on an old email address which has long since been changed.
    So that we can give feedback to Canonical sysadmins about any possible glitches in the algorithm used to generate the forum username from the Ubuntu One account, it would be helpful if you would pm me (for confidentiality) with the answer to these questions. Do you have an older Ubuntu One account which has a username field as well as a Full Name field? If you are not sure, start to log into the forum from your Ubuntu One account. At the Personal Data Request page where the system asks you to choose what to share, if you have an older Ubuntu One account, you will see three fields: Full name, Username, Email address. If a newer Ubuntu One account, only two fields: Full name, Email address. If you have an older account with a username field, what is the string that is in the username field?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

For the record - The OP has been restored to their original account.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.