Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why does nothing work

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Why does nothing work

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedName View Post
    i know. but i like compiz. and would like to keep using it. It doesnt seem to like other flavours of ubuntu though. I have tried them all. if you read my original post properly. i do not want to stick with unity. i want as little as possible to do with it. Might just upgrade to windows.
    Unfortunately, for the many compiz fans, it will probably be gone when 14.10 is released. If you find Windows easier to use, by all means upgrade.

Ubuntu used to be my favorite OS, since number 8 or 9 ive used it. And ever since the unity mess was added its going way down hill!! does anyone agree. Im now on the latest version and have less features than i did when on version 9 for instance. Just recently ive come to find the music player does not work. Just crashes when trying to play a song. I get a box popping up telling me there has been a system error when i first boot up.

Please ubuntu, fix your OS. stop with this idea that unity is the way to go. its slow, clunky and un-necessary, plus it takes up too much screen, with the apple bar on the left and that other apple like bar running along the top of the screen . Gnome-Do kicks it ass. its simple and does all unity can do. Do just looks better. And stop breaking things man. How can you go to something that was nice and working well. To the bug ridden mess heap you have out now.

What other OS's do people recommend? Im looking for something without pannels or dock bars plastered all over the place. And something which will work well with compiz
    If you are finding a great number of bugs in Unity, the following command is your friend:

Code:
    apport unity
    It will create a proper bug report that should get attention in a short amount of time, keep in mind that legitimate bugs will be looked at a lot quicker than opinion bugs.

In my personal opinion, I wouldn't spend to much time learning/playing with compiz, as Sam is only doing bug fixes, as he is busy creating another desktop environment/manager .

We expect that in 14.10 compiz will be dropped and Mir/Unity 8 will do away with the need for it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by help_me2 View Post
    I just hit the "Like" button. Apps are where it's at. People can adapt to desktop environments. (at least most can) Then there are those that will complain until their last breath, as if it does any good.
    a lot of people don't understand that the OS is just a platform to run some apps, it is not a toy. customizing the DE is just a waste of time and effort.
    the unity and gnome-shell developers have understood that and they gave us these DE that are quite rigid. they want to force the users to use the platform for something usefull, not to stare all day to a customized desktop. not to mention that sitting on the chair and focusing on the screen all day long is just very unhealthy.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by richardsdma View Post
    a lot of people don't understand that the OS is just a platform to run some apps, it is not a toy. customizing the DE is just a waste of time and effort.
    the unity and gnome-shell developers have understood that and they gave us these DE that are quite rigid. they want to force the users to use the platform for something usefull, not to stare all day to a customized desktop. not to mention that sitting on the chair and focusing on the screen all day long is just very unhealthy.
    Except when the DE that they try to force on you is not at all useful for you. Left hand panels or docks? Cant do it. Top panels or docks? Cant do it. Unity? Not for me, thanks.

Beans

Cool Re: Why does nothing work

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Except when the DE that they try to force on you is not at all useful for you. Left hand panels or docks? Cant do it. Top panels or docks? Cant do it. Unity? Not for me, thanks.
    thank you. I have tried using unity. when it first came out i gave it a good go, but gave it the benefit of doubt as that was its first release. And ive had a good play with it on the later versions. I guess as the person above says. Its just not for me. Im a Minimalist, Like as little clutter on the screen as possible. To me unity is clutter, hogs to much space and is slow to do things. So thats my main gripe with it now, at least is uses the whole screen these days.

I didnt know LXDE and Compiz got along, i will look into that as i do like LXDE, got a Mint flavour of that running on an older machine somewhere.

I shall stop crying then, its fine ive had a smoke now and stuck the LTS version of ubuntu back on, Done away with unity and got the things i like back, almost.

Oh to the person saying send bugs in the apport, that was the thing causing a critical or system error (cant remember which) when ever i booted the latest version of ubuntu, And the music player was rhythm box, im rather fond of it. Seems fine on LTS, wouldnt play any songs on 13.

So let me ask this, What other types of linux have you all tried and really liked? thin im just stuck in the past with good all gnome2 ubuntu, its what i started on and what worked for me. Im plan on looking in to debian and maybe arch if i can manage.

Beans
    Distro

thank you. I have tried using unity. when it first came out i gave it a good go, but gave it the benefit of doubt as that was its first release. And ive had a good play with it on the later versions. I guess as the person above says. Its just not for me. Im a Minimalist, Like as little clutter on the screen as possible. To me unity is clutter, hogs to much space and is slow to do things. So thats my main gripe with it now, at least is uses the whole screen these days.

I didnt know LXDE and Compiz got along, i will look into that as i do like LXDE, got a Mint flavour of that running on an older machine somewhere.

I shall stop crying then, its fine ive had a smoke now and stuck the LTS version of ubuntu back on, Done away with unity and got the things i like back, almost.

Oh to the person saying send bugs in the apport, that was the thing causing a critical or system error (cant remember which) when ever i booted the latest version of ubuntu, And the music player was rhythm box, im rather fond of it. Seems fine on LTS, wouldnt play any songs on 13.

So let me ask this, What other types of linux have you all tried and really liked? thin im just stuck in the past with good all gnome2 ubuntu, its what i started on and what worked for me. Im plan on looking in to debian and maybe arch if i can manage.
    I really like KDE, but it is a bit of a resource hog. For lightweight, I like Crunchbang. It has no eyecandy but does exactly what you want with minimal resources.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by richardsdma View Post
    customizing the DE is just a waste of time and effort.
    Have to disagree with you. I spend anywhere from 8 to 12 hours a day working on a computer. Any degree to which I can remove friction or impediments from my workflow is a major win. Rigid environments that were designed as much for "visual wow" as they were for functionality don't cut it for me.

Yeah, spending time tweaking goofy visual effects or preening the texture of your launcher buttons may be nonsense, but there's a lot more you can do with a flexible UI to improve productivity if that's your focus.

Beans

I've been *really* leaning towards going over to arch; I have an arch partition on my laptop and a box running arch at work that I tinker with now and then to test various bits of my workflow (and "playflow"). Thing is, if you don't like sudden changes arch may not be what you want.

I've used Debian a ton; if you want slow, conservative changes and a relatively vanilla experience, Debian's good. I just don't have the patience to run Debian stable on my desktop. If you want to use some software that's a bit out of the mainstream, getting it on Debian can be a challenge sometimes.

With respect to package availability and newness, Ubuntu is kind of a middle ground between Debian and Arch, in my opinion. It's easier to setup and configure than either of them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

DE's don't force anything on anyone because no one forces anyone to use any DE.

Don't like Unity? Gnome-Shell? KDE? OK. Don't use them.

If the OP likes Compiz, he might explore the other compositors that are available.

If the OP wants to *really* run something from the Ubuntu 9/10 era, he might look at CentOS. It's Gnome 2.28, and security fixes are still offered. But, the downside of using old software is that new apps often will not run on it. It's a tradeoff.

then, there's Mate.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Who's forcing anything on you? There's a million different ways you can use and enjoy linux. I didn't realize Shuttleworth put a gun to people's heads and forced them to use Unity. I guess he hasn't made his way to my area yet.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by help_me2 View Post
    Who's forcing anything on you? There's a million different ways you can use and enjoy linux. I didn't realize Shuttleworth put a gun to people's heads and forced them to use Unity. I guess he hasn't made his way to my area yet.
    Please read the post I responded to before jumping on me for making such an accusation.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast