Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wine Doesn't Work!

Beans

Wine Doesn't Work!

I have the newest version of Ubuntu and Wine. I tried a million times to get this PC program Photo Mechanic to work using Wine and it never loads the program, the program installs perfectly too. I right cick on the file and select open with Wine, it initiates and loads the programs splash screen but always times out and never loads. How in the world do I get this to work it's driving me crazy!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Wine Doesn't Work!

Hello and welcome to the forums.

According to WineHQ AppDB, the app is rated as "garbage" with respect to its operability under wine. You may want to consider running it in a VM.

Moving thread to the Wine subforum.

Beans
    Distro

I've looked on the WineHQ AppDB, this app doesn't appear to have been tested for a few years

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=5017

At that time it didn't work

Have you had this running under Wine at all?

Beans

What is VM? I have a PC running Ubuntu and Wine. Is this a lost cause?

Quote Originally Posted by Toz View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forums.

According to WineHQ AppDB, the app is rated as "garbage" with respect to its operability under wine. You may want to consider running it in a VM.

Moving thread to the Wine subforum.

Beans

I've never tried it before. Is there any other programs like Vine that I can try it on?

Quote Originally Posted by hattpa View Post
    I've looked on the WineHQ AppDB, this app doesn't appear to have been tested for a few years

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=5017

At that time it didn't work

Have you had this running under Wine at all?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dave90210la View Post
    What is VM? I have a PC running Ubuntu and Wine. Is this a lost cause?
    Sorry, Virtual Machine. Look for virtualbox in the software centre. It allows you to basically run a full windows install within a virtual container. It will work with linux. For more information, see https://www.virtualbox.org/.

Beans

Not compatible with Ubuntu. All I want to do is edit my images metadata. I need a gui editor where I can batch edit that data in a folder of images. Any suggestions?

Sorry, Virtual Machine. Look for virtualbox in the software centre. It allows you to basically run a full windows install within a virtual container. It will work with linux. For more information, see https://www.virtualbox.org/.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Not compatible with Ubuntu.
    Vritualbox is not compatible with Ubuntu? Yes it is. I use it every day. See this wiki entry for more information.

All I want to do is edit my images metadata. I need a gui editor where I can batch edit that data in a folder of images. Any suggestions?
    Here are some apps that look like they have image tagging capabilities. All are available in the software centre.

- DigiKam (note: KDE application)
    - shotwell
    - phatch

Beans

The first one Digikam does it but you have to istall a plugin which takes a computer scientiest to do or a programmer it's not easy and it's out of my league.

Phatch can only edit the IPTC for one image only and can't add the IPTC to multiple images, trust me I tried it!

Shotwell simply doesn'y even have that option

Vritualbox is not compatible with Ubuntu? Yes it is. I use it every day. See this wiki entry for more informatio

Here are some apps that look like they have image tagging capabilities. All are available in the software centre.

- DigiKam (note: KDE application)
    - shotwell
    - phatch

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Phatch can only edit the IPTC for one image only and can't add the IPTC to multiple images, trust me I tried it!
    When you install phatch, it installs two programs: "Phatch Image Processor" (phatch -n) and "Phatch PHoto bATCH Processor (phatch)". Its this second program that appears to allow you to create batch actions. But it looks complicating to use.

There is also this thread that talks about IPTC editors that might be of interest.

I'm going to move this thread back to General Help as it doesn't seem to be related tin Wine anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast