Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer reboots by itself - Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Computer reboots by itself - Ubuntu 12.04

Good morning everybody.

I am a Linux user for many many years, but absolutely new in the Ubuntu world because I switched to it (Xubuntu 13.10 precisely) a few weeks ago when I received my new computer.

It is a Sager-Clevo NP-2740 (proc: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4750HQ CPU @ 2.00GHz) that runs a Dualboot with W7. I almost never use W7, except when I need to run really special softwares that I only have under w7.

I experienced few times a really bothering behaviour when I try to shutdown my computer under Xubuntu. This behaviour happens both with a graphical shutdown (clic-button) or with a command line shutdown (sudo shutdown -h now).

The computer shuts down normally but turns on again by itself after 5 seconds. It is an infinite loop. I log under Xubuntu, try to shutdown again, and bim, it restarts by itself. I need to log under w7 to shut it down properly.

This problem also happened under Mint (before Xubuntu I tried Mint 16, and after a few reboots by itself, I switched under Xubuntu because I thought the problem was coming from Mint).

I did many researches and I found these 2 solutions that were recommanded for Ubuntu 12.04:

** change the grub (quiet splash by nomodeset or by noirq quiet splash);
    ** install laptop-mode-tool.

The first solution does not work at all.

The second solution works, but creates me so many bugs after (mouse that doesnt work, fonts that become super-small under wdm, and other few strange and bothering things).

Thank you very much for any kind of help (even if you suggest me to throw my computer by the window).

Remi.

################################################## ############

Here is the result of lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Crystal Well DRAM Controller (rev 08)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Crystal Well Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 08)
    00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Crystal Well HD Audio Controller (rev 08)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI (rev 05)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I217-V (rev 05)
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #2 (rev 05)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev d5)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #2 (rev d5)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #4 (rev d5)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #1 (rev 05)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM87 Express LPC Controller (rev 05)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 05)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)
    02:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS5229 PCI Express Card Reader (rev 01)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8723AE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter

Here is the result of lscpu:

Architecture: x86_64
    CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
    Byte Order: Little Endian
    CPU(s): 8
    On-line CPU(s) list: 0-7
    Thread(s) per core: 2
    Core(s) per socket: 4
    Socket(s): 1
    NUMA node(s): 1
    Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
    CPU family: 6
    Model: 70
    Stepping: 1
    CPU MHz: 800.000
    BogoMIPS: 3990.81
    Virtualization: VT-x
    L1d cache: 32K
    L1i cache: 32K
    L2 cache: 256K
    L3 cache: 6144K
    L4 cache: 131072K
    NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0-7

Here is the result of lsblk:

NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    sda 8:0 0 232.9G 0 disk
    ├─sda1 8:1 0 350M 0 part
    ├─sda2 8:2 0 122.9G 0 part
    ├─sda3 8:3 0 1K 0 part
    ├─sda5 8:5 0 93.8G 0 part /
    └─sda6 8:6 0 15.9G 0 part [SWAP]
    Last edited by rmimtz; November 6th, 2013 at 10:17 PM. Reason: I switched from Xubuntu to Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Computer reboots by itself - Xubuntu 13.10

Good evening everybody,

I am little by little going forward out of my problem.

As it drove me crazy, I decided to erase windows from my computer (I thought the problem came from the grub) and keep going with only one OS on my machine. At the same time I decided to switch from Xubuntu 13.10 to Ubuntu 12.04, hoping that the LTS will sove my problem. To be clear, I was wrong. Thanksfully I have an official w7 pro licence if I want to re-install the double boot.

Nevertheless, I discovered a few interesting things:

** laptop-mode-tools helps (after some fine tuning to make my USB mouse working properly, etc...);
    ** my computer only reboots by itself when it is on AC. If I turn it off when it is on battery, it stays off and does not reboot. Which actually changed my life.

After 3 days trying to fine tune laptop-mode-tools, and after at least 50 turn on/turn off, I dont find where the solution comes from when the computer is on battery. The idea would be to apply the exact same setting when it is on AC.

For the people who are familiar with laptop-mode-tools, here is the laptop-mode.conf: https://filex.mat.ensmp.fr/get?k=vvAwbdxw6ZnbmlTTMib
    I am pretty sure 75% of my problem is solved, but I need help for the last 25% !

Thank to the people trying to help me !

Remi.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Computer reboots by itself - Ubuntu 12.04

Is there possibly a setting in your BIOS for automatically starting the machine under certain conditions?
    "We're all in this together, kid." --H. Tuttle (a.k.a. H. Buttle)
    "Maybe it's a layer 8 problem." --thatguruguy
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans

Absolutely no idea. I never touched my BIOS. What kind of setting could it be ?

Beans
    Distro

Dunno. Some machines will have a setting, though it's usually for booting when power is restored (like a server which lost power gets power restored and starts automatically). Just a (long shot) thought.
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans

Okay, thank you for the idea. But I dont know either, and as my knowledge about what to do and what not to do on the BIOS is close to zero, I prefer not to play with it !

Does laptop-mode-tools sets something on the BIOS ?

Beans
    Distro

I doubt it. If you do poke around in the BIOS, feel free to ask about any setting you see there. Unless you save your changes it should be harmless to have a look.
    A High-Tech Blech!

Beans

Hello,

ok, I am gonna have a look into the BIOS and check if I notice something strange.

Thank you for the advice !

Have a nice day jamesisin.

Beans

Sounds like your power supply is failing.

Beans

I have no idea what is failing.

What can I do to check if thepower supply is crazy or not ?

The funny thing is that this computer is also sold by System 76 with Ubuntu 13.04 (https://www.system76.com/laptops/model/galu1). They bought it to Clevo and rebrand it System 76.

So a solution must exist, because I doubt they sell a computer that reboots by itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast