Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Question about LTS, OS versions and its upgrading.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Land of the Boii
    Beans
    68
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

    Question about LTS, OS versions and its upgrading.

    Hello.
    I have a questions concerning "LTS".

    If I have Xubuntu LTS 12.04.3 can it be upgraded to LTS 14.04 when it comes out in 2014 and how hard is it?
    If I have Xubuntu 13.04 can it be upgraded to LTS 14.04 and how hard is it?

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    From the land down under
    Beans
    1,243
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Question about LTS, OS versions and its upgrading.

    You can definitely upgrade both to the new LTS, it should be fairly easy for both. You will likely upgrade 13.04 to 13.10 shortly and then the same thing to get to 14.04.

    On 12.04 there will be an option to upgrade direct to 14.04.

    Both are fairly painless
    // Blog

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1
    Beans
    5,002
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: Question about LTS, OS versions and its upgrading.

    there was a change in policy that allows you to upgrade from any version to the next lts, given the support dates for each version, you can do any of these w/ out having a unsupported OS installed
    xubuntu 12.04 -> 14.04
    xubuntu 12.10 -> 14.04
    xubuntu 13.10 -> 14.04
    personally i would use xubuntu 12.10 and add the xfce 4.10 ppa if i did not want to bother implementing workarounds in 13.10, i know of 4 bugs in it
    termianl -> terminal (menu) -> go to set encoding and watch it crash (no known workaround)
    weather applet text is not readable on mouse-over in the albatross theme (apply patch tha was somehow removed from the theme)
    the volume icon does not work (see sticky in general help)
    the mp3 decoder in gstreamer has a playback quality issue (fixed via downgrade to the 13.04 package)
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Land of the Boii
    Beans
    68
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

    Re: Question about LTS, OS versions and its upgrading.

    Quote Originally Posted by ikt View Post
    You can definitely upgrade both to the new LTS, it should be fairly easy for both. You will likely upgrade 13.04 to 13.10 shortly and then the same thing to get to 14.04.

    On 12.04 there will be an option to upgrade direct to 14.04.

    Both are fairly painless
    Ah thanks. I currently have 13.04 and was thinking about downgrading to 12.04.3 because they say it is more stable.

    Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    there was a change in policy that allows you to upgrade from any version to the next lts, given the support dates for each version, you can do any of these w/ out having a unsupported OS installed
    xubuntu 12.04 -> 14.04
    xubuntu 12.10 -> 14.04
    xubuntu 13.10 -> 14.04
    personally i would use xubuntu 12.10 and add the xfce 4.10 ppa if i did not want to bother implementing workarounds in 13.10, i know of 4 bugs in it
    termianl -> terminal (menu) -> go to set encoding and watch it crash (no known workaround)
    weather applet text is not readable on mouse-over in the albatross theme (apply patch tha was somehow removed from the theme)
    the volume icon does not work (see sticky in general help)
    the mp3 decoder in gstreamer has a playback quality issue (fixed via downgrade to the 13.04 package)
    I am completelly new to this so I plan to upgrade to 14.04 when comes out and stay with it for as long as possible.
    Last edited by Durabys; October 27th, 2013 at 07:46 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Beans
    4,520

    Re: Question about LTS, OS versions and its upgrading.

    Quote Originally Posted by Durabys View Post
    I [...] was thinking about downgrading to 12.04.3 because they say it is more stable.
    All released versions of Ubuntu are stable.
    LTS releases are simply supported longer. Fixes that went into 12.04 have gone into the more recent releases, too.
    Are you having some problem with a current release?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1
    Beans
    5,002
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: Question about LTS, OS versions and its upgrading.

    Upgrading is very easy, but for someone new to linux i would recommend xubuntu 12.10 until 14.04 becomes available in april
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/re...antal/release/
    12.10 is supported till the end of april and 14.04 comes out mid april so it has a 2 week window to upgrade, the update manager will inform you of the LTS upgrade
    just set the update manager to only inform you of LTS upgrades:
    Screenshot - 10272013 - 02:54:47 PM.jpg
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Land of the Boii
    Beans
    68
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

    Re: Question about LTS, OS versions and its upgrading.

    Quote Originally Posted by ian-weisser View Post
    All released versions of Ubuntu are stable.
    LTS releases are simply supported longer. Fixes that went into 12.04 have gone into the more recent releases, too.
    Are you having some problem with a current release?
    No.

    Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    Upgrading is very easy, but for someone new to linux i would recommend xubuntu 12.10 until 14.04 becomes available in april
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/re...antal/release/
    12.10 is supported till the end of april and 14.04 comes out mid april so it has a 2 week window to upgrade, the update manager will inform you of the LTS upgrade
    just set the update manager to only inform you of LTS upgrades:
    Screenshot - 10272013 - 02:54:47 PM.jpg
    So. You propose I should downgrade from 13.10 to the non-LTS 12.10?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Beans
    4,520

    Re: Question about LTS, OS versions and its upgrading.

    If you are not having a problem, then why change?
    If you want to change to an LTS, you can simply wait until April and change to the newly-released 14.04 LTS.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Land of the Boii
    Beans
    68
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

    Re: Question about LTS, OS versions and its upgrading.

    Quote Originally Posted by ian-weisser View Post
    If you are not having a problem, then why change?
    If you want to change to an LTS, you can simply wait until April and change to the newly-released 14.04 LTS.
    Exactly.

    I was just being rhetorical for christs sake!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1
    Beans
    5,002
    Distro
    Xubuntu

    Re: Question about LTS, OS versions and its upgrading.

    i was not aware you had a existing install or what version it was, i would not bother reinstalling if you already have 13.10 installed
    i intend to stick with 14.04 for a few years (3-3.5 years) i had used 10.04 for around 3 years and was not happy with 12.04 and ended up going strait to 12.10
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •