Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Item missing from Menu Bar

Beans

Item missing from Menu Bar

The settings/shut down button has disappeared from Ubuntu 13.10.

Don't know what I did, or how to retrieve it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Item missing from Menu Bar

There are issues with the indicators. Most notably is that the date-time indicator is sometimes not shown, but it also happens that other indicators are not properly initialized. It will reappear on reboot, or probably already upon logging out/logging in. That problem is know, and the fix should land soon in our system.

Beans

Thank you vanadium. The time is showing, but not close down button. I'll wait for the fix. Thanks again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    There are issues with the indicators. Most notably is that the date-time indicator is sometimes not shown, but it also happens that other indicators are not properly initialized. It will reappear on reboot, or probably already upon logging out/logging in. That problem is know, and the fix should land soon in our system.
    +1.

to restore the settings gear use this from a terminal.

Code:
    setsid unity

Beans

Great. Thanks Philinux

That terminal entry fixed my problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrjh View Post
    Great. Thanks Philinux

That terminal entry fixed my problem.
    Yes. All was fine last night, but when I turned my computer on for the first time today, (about 3 hours ago), there is NO Menu Bar, and I cannot get Launcher bar to appear.

After much tinkering, I found how to get settings box to appear, and was able to change Appearance - Behaviour box to disable Auto-hide the Launcher, but still, nother appears. I was able to enter the Terminal box via Ctrl + alt + T, and nothing has changed, and still no laucher bar and no menu bar.

What can I do. I am typing this on another computer.

Beans

Yes. All was fine last night, but when I turned my computer on for the first time today, (about 3 hours ago), there is NO Menu Bar, and I cannot get Launcher bar to appear.

After much tinkering, I found how to get settings box to appear, and was able to change Appearance - Behaviour box to disable Auto-hide the Launcher, but still, nother appears. I was able to enter the Terminal box via Ctrl + alt + T, and nothing has changed, and still no laucher bar and no menu bar.

I just closed down my computer (only I can by turning power off), still no Meno Bar, and no Launcher bar, so I don't have access to any programs, or the web. I got back into terminal, and again re-entered

Beans

I just closed down my computer (only I can by turning power off), still no Meno Bar, and no Launcher bar, so I don't have access to any programs, or the web. I got back into terminal, and again re-entered setsid unity.

It ran through all the normal entry lines. I notice the last line of data entry says comiz (core) - error; Plugin 'composite' not loaded.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Try resetting the unity options: http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...-ubuntu-13-10/ From your broken unity session, you might be able to lauch a terminal using the hotkey Ctrl+Alt+T. Alternatively, use Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to a text console. I would probably only run the command to reset the config
    Code:
    dconf reset -f /org/compiz/
    then restart the computer
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -r now
    A post at the bottom here http://askubuntu.com/questions/36047...-after-upgrade shows a method to reset to defaults using Compiz Config manager, but then you need to be able to launch it first.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    Try resetting the unity options: http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...-ubuntu-13-10/ From your broken unity session, you might be able to lauch a terminal using the hotkey Ctrl+Alt+T. Alternatively, use Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to a text console. I would probably only run the command to reset the config
    Code:
    dconf reset -f /org/compiz/
    then restart the computer
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -r now
    A post at the bottom here http://askubuntu.com/questions/36047...-after-upgrade shows a method to reset to defaults using Compiz Config manager, but then you need to be able to launch it first.
    I entered the command line as you said, restarted but nothing changed.

I started typing this message back to you, when I noticed I had left off the forward slash at the end. I corrected that, and both the Menu bar and Launcher bar have reappeared.

Lets hope it'll be ok now.

Thank you very much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast