Thread: Stop Monitor Going to Sleep whilst watching Youtube

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Stop Monitor Going to Sleep whilst watching Youtube

How do I stop my monitor going to sleep when I'm watching a youtube video. It's does it whether I'm fullscreen or not. I'm in Ubuntu 13.10 x64.

Thanks
    Last edited by ktz84; October 27th, 2013 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Added distro info.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Stop Monitor Going to Sleep whilst watching Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by ktz84 View Post
    How do I stop my monitor going to sleep when I'm watching a youtube video. It's does it whether I'm fullscreen or not. I'm in Ubuntu 13.10 x64.

Thanks
    system settings > brightness and lock.

Turn screen off when inactive = never.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

That would do it however not what I'm really looking for as I'd like to the screen to lock after inactivity in most circumstances. If I watch a film or tv show in VLC player in fullscreen the monitor won't go to sleep however if I'm watching YouTube fullscreen it does go to sleep. Is there anyway to prevent this with YouTube.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ktz84 View Post
    That would do it however not what I'm really looking for as I'd like to the screen to lock after inactivity in most circumstances. If I watch a film or tv show in VLC player in fullscreen the monitor won't go to sleep however if I'm watching YouTube fullscreen it does go to sleep. Is there anyway to prevent this with YouTube.

Thanks
    I think the problem with youtube is that flash does not follow the same rules as VLC. It should but it doesn't. Same for me with bbc iplayer which uses flash. So I set the option to never then set it back to 10 mins after watching.

This has been noted for years by the way.

Beans

This script works for me:
    Code:
    #!/usr/bin/env bash

sleep_period=8m 

while true; do
      if ps -eo %C --sort -%cpu | head -2 | awk 'NR==2 { exit !($1>10); }'; then
          xdotool key shift
      fi
      sleep ${sleep_period}
    done
    It is triggered when the %CPU usage is > 10% which is usually the case when watching videos, whether YouTube or others. A key press is sent by xdotool and that prevents screen blanking. You will need to install xdotool with sudo apt-get install xdotool. The sleep period is set for 8 min but that can be changed as can the %CPU in "{ exit !($1>10); }".