Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Ubuntu work on the Surface Pro 2 like it did on the original?

Beans

Re: Will Ubuntu work on the Surface Pro 2 like it did on the original?

So is there anything that's still broken or flaky after pm-utils downgrade and the installing the patched kernel? Sleep mode, hibernation, etc? I'd love to get a definitive answer before spending over a $1000 on a machine

Beans

Unhappy Re: Will Ubuntu work on the Surface Pro 2 like it did on the original?

Hmm... what? Shelling out a grand for the latest Microsoft hardware (low RAM and lowest repairability score) to use with a short-term-support Ubuntu release? Sure?
    Note that you are also paying for 200 Gb Microsoft cloud storage, Skype voip-to-home calls, and even a full Windows 8.1 license.

As for all new hardware, Linux support is incomplete.

While I am using the 3.11.3 kernel compiled by PointSource , I cannot file bugs on Launchpad for an "unknown origin" Linux kernel.

Below, a partial list of what I've found.

Hardware/kernel related bugs, both in stock Ubuntu kernel (3.11.0-14) and in PointSource's kernel (3.11.3):

- suspend: hangs everything

- bluetooth: does not work
    Code:
    root@surface:~# hcitool inq
    Inquiring ...
    Inquiry failed.: No such device
    root@surface:~# hcitool dev
    Devices:
    root@surface:~# hcitool scan
    Device is not available: No such device
    - acpi: system temperature is incorrectly read by the kernel ("-271°C", "-269.3°C"...); other values from lm-sensors are correct; for example, dmesg reports:
    Code:
     [    0.722669] ACPI: Thermal Zone [TZ0] (-271 C)
    - audio works but hdmi audio does not work (the "5+1" mode is mute, and the "stereo" mode stops the kernel audio from working). Using PointSource's kernel I get:
    Code:
    [ 1294.179242] Haswell HDMI audio: Mute after set on pin 0x6: [0x0 0x0]
    [ 1395.126851] hda-intel 0000:00:1b.0: Unstable LPIB (14110 >= 1764); disabling LPIB delay counting
    - stock Ubuntu kernel also reports something apparently related to HDMI audio output:
    Code:
    [    6.493562] HDMI: Unknown ELD version 7
    [    6.793389] HDMI: Unknown ELD version 7
    [    6.827780] hda-intel: IRQ timing workaround is activated for card #1. Suggest a bigger bdl_pos_adj.
    - type cover 2: only works with PointSource's kernel and, in that case, at boot time, only works if "cold boot" (i.e.: after a normal "reboot" you cannot do a selection in the grub boot menu)

- wifi does not work with stock Ubuntu kernel

- AMI BIOS of the Surface Pro 2 is broken: early boot messages (both in stock kernel and PointSource's kernel) say:
    Code:
    [    0.000000] ------------[ cut here ]------------
    [    0.000000] WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 0 at /build/buildd/linux-3.11.0/drivers/iommu/dmar.c:488 warn_invalid_dmar+0x7e/0x90()
    [    0.000000] Your BIOS is broken; DMAR reported at address 0!
    [    0.000000] BIOS vendor: American Megatrends Inc.; Ver: 2.03.0550; Product Version: 1
    [    0.000000] Modules linked in:
    [    0.000000] CPU: 0 PID: 0 Comm: swapper Not tainted 3.11.0-14-generic #21-Ubuntu
    [    0.000000] Hardware name: Microsoft Corporation Surface Pro 2/Surface Pro 2, BIOS 2.03.0550 09/25/2013
    [    0.000000]  000000000000000b ffffffff81c01de8 ffffffff816e593a ffffffff81c01e30
    [    0.000000]  ffffffff81c01e20 ffffffff81061dbd ffffffff81fd001c ffffffff81fd005c
    [    0.000000]  0000000000000000 ffff88021fdabbc0 ffffffff81e72000 ffffffff81c01e80
    [    0.000000] Call Trace:
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff816e593a>] dump_stack+0x45/0x56
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff81061dbd>] warn_slowpath_common+0x7d/0xa0
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff81061e74>] warn_slowpath_fmt_taint+0x44/0x50
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff81d401f3>] ? early_ioremap+0x13/0x15
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff81d36d4e>] ? __acpi_map_table+0x13/0x18
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff815c446e>] warn_invalid_dmar+0x7e/0x90
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff81d7b0d4>] check_zero_address+0x68/0xf4
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff81d7b175>] detect_intel_iommu+0x15/0xae
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff81d30e24>] pci_iommu_alloc+0x4a/0x6c
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff81d3fc2c>] mem_init+0x17/0x9c
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff81d26ccb>] start_kernel+0x1de/0x416
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff81d268f6>] ? repair_env_string+0x5c/0x5c
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff81d26120>] ? early_idt_handlers+0x120/0x120
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff81d265de>] x86_64_start_reservations+0x2a/0x2c
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff81d266e8>] x86_64_start_kernel+0x108/0x117
    [    0.000000] ---[ end trace de0668eb4418ce5b ]---

External display related bugs:

- power management: display is not switched off after blanking; note: when using an external display, the built-in display is correctly switched off when selecting "off" in System settings / Displays / Built-in;

- external display: when it reports the same resolution of the internal display, it should default to "mirror displays" instead of "extended desktop"

- pen input is not disabled when the built-in display is switched off (i.e. when using only an external display)

- pen: when attaching an external display, its work area gets incorrectly recalculated/extended (correct behaviour: should always depend on built-in display resolution: either 1920x1080 or "rotated to 1080x1920", not the 3840x1080 virtual desktop)

Software/settings related bugs:

- type cover 2 backlighting remains "on" when built-in display is "off" (expected behavior: kernel should handle its backlighting)

- pen: works but does not disable multitouch while in use (your hand cannot rest on the screen)

- power management utilities: pm-utils package has to be downgraded to 1.3.xx (every time you update packages, remember to update "again" PointSource's kernel and pm-utils; if you forget it, Ubuntu will always hang when loading the desktop)

Bugs related to PointSource's kernel:

- usb 3.0 support disabled

- wifi works but emits "-ENOSR" errors from time to time (should be corrected on next Marvell firmware update)
    Code:
     [  654.426391] usb 1-1.2: data: -ENOSR is returned

Bugs not yet fully explored:

- built-in display brightness: sometimes it defaults to 100% at boot (apparently System Settings does not save the last state, but it seems due to external monitor plugging/unplugging)

- sometimes sound does not work after a reboot (apparently a consequence of trying the HDMI audio output)

- microSD slot: only works with stock Ubuntu kernel (thus it means it is connected to the internal USB3.0 hub)

- battery: sometimes the battery is incorrectly reported as "absent" (both on battery and on AC power), until next cold reboot (apparently something happened between upgrading to pm-utils 1.4 and downgrading to pm-utils 1.3)

- the vibration feedback of the hardware "Windows key" doesn't seem software-controllable.
    Last edited by goepfling; December 14th, 2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: updated bug list

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by goepfling View Post
    Hardware/kernel related bugs, both in stock Ubuntu kernel (3.11.0-14) and in PointSource's kernel (3.11.3):
    - suspend: hangs everything
    - bluetooth: does not work
    Yes, issues with the WiFi. I've taken to:
    • blacklisting the mwifiex and mwifiex-usb modules for now:
      Code:
      # echo "blacklist mwifiex" > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-mwifiex.conf
      # echo "blacklist mwifiex-usb" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-mwifiex.conf
    • carrying around a USB WiFi adapter,
    • and "modprobe mwifiex-usb"-ing when that's more convenient, on the proviso that I have to shutdown instead of suspend the Surface after it's use.

- microSD slot: only works with stock Ubuntu kernel (thus it means it is connected to the internal USB3.0 hub)
    I wondered why that wasn't working for me...

- pen: when attaching an external display, its work area gets incorrectly recalculated/extended (correct behaviour: should always depend on built-in display resolution: either 1920x1080 or "rotated to 1080x1920", not the 3840x1080 virtual desktop)
    If your set-up is: [built-in] LEFT-OF [external], and they're both 1080p, then manipulating the "Coordinate Transformation Matrix" for pen and touch input can fix the positioning mismatch:
    Code:
    xinput set-prop <ID> 136 0.5 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1
    where <ID> is the ID of the pen (one of "MICROSOFT SAM") or touch ("Atmel Atmel maXTouch Digitizer") device, according to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...6#post12849196. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/InputCoordinateTransformation and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ng_Touchscreen for more info.

Many thanks to goepfling for the extensive buglist.

Beans

Thanks PointsSource for the patches!

Is it possible to fix the microSD card problem without disabling wifi? the onboard memory is too small to live with.

Also is there a way to get right click by long press on the touch screen?

Beans

Wink Re: Will Ubuntu work on the Surface Pro 2 like it did on the original?

1) Start Windows 8.1 to do some clean-up:
    - erase the "shadow copy" file (will free some gigabytes on the Windows partition) using wmic in Administrator mode:
    Code:
    vssadmin list shadowstorage
    wmic
        shadowcopy delete
        exit
    - erase the hibernation file (you won't ever need to hibernate, won't you? and it will free some extra gigabytes on the Windows partition):
    Code:
    powercfg /hibernate off
    - then create a Recovery disk (8Gb USB drive required: it will free the 6.9 gigabytes Recovery partition; then keep the 8Gb USB drive in your safest safe!)
    - and finally (after cleanmgr and dfrgui) shrink the Windows partition to accomodate a Linux partition.

2) You don't need to place your multimedia files (videos, MP3s) on both partitions.

If you place them on Windows partition and want to access them from Ubuntu, you should add to your /etc/fstab a line to mount the Windows partition on some local Linux directory:
    Code:
    /dev/sda4   /windows    ntfs-3g   defaults,user,ro   0  0
    I suggest to not to use read-write mode with "user" (non-root) access.
    Note: I cannot guarantee that Windows is "actually" unable to peek in ext4 filesystems and send to Microsoft NSA Cloud your secret directories (LOL).

"Right-click" using pen long press:
    - install mousetweaks package
    - press the Windows (uh-oh) key (the Surface will vibrate for a moment) and search for Startup Applications
    - add an entry:
    name: pen right click
    command: mousetweaks --ssc --ssc-time=0.7 --daemonize
    comment: emulate right click after 0.7 seconds of pen pressed

"Expose windows":
    press the Windows (erm...) key and search for CompizConfig Settings (ouch! Ubuntu 13.10 still has Compiz?!?) and in the Window Management / Scale / Bindings section, select Initiate Window Picker For All Windows (the one with the display icon) and select the center top area (top left will only work with a mouse) and allow it to disable some useless "Flip" effect. Now, use the pen to move the cursor to the highest pixel of the center top area and... pronto! the window picker for all windows. Excellent when you use two or more browsers on the same web chat to impersonate two different people trolling and fighting each other (LOL)

Beans

Bugs, bugs, bugs!!

Movies: mplayer2 cannot show full-screen videos (hangs for some seconds every few frames):
    Code:
    [31814.040889] [drm:ring_stuck] *ERROR* Kicking stuck wait on render ring
    [31814.040918] [drm:i915_hangcheck_elapsed] *ERROR* no progress on render ring
    [31814.041037] [drm:i915_set_reset_status] *ERROR* render ring hung flushing bo (0x88d000 ctx 0) at 0xe03538
    Switched to mplayer but it shows the same problem.

VLC works (because it doesn't require the "full screen": it just creates a... full-screen window), but after full-screen video playing, the pointer cursor does not appear again. As this happens also with UrbanTerror, I guess it is a Xorg problem. To get the cursor again without rebooting, just switch to a text-console (ctrl-alt-F2) and from there then get into Xorg again (alt-f7), or enter the "screenshot area select" and then press Esc.

The xhci (USB 3.0 support) is compiled in the kernel: you cannot disable it, neither from kernel command-line nor from kernel unloading, and the following command has no effect:
    Code:
    echo 'SUSPEND_MODULES="xhci"' >> /etc/pm/config.d/unload_module

Suggestions:

Skype text font in the chat is tiny: edit your ~/.config/Trolltech.conf and use the Ubuntu,14 font (or even bigger), then start Skype again.
    [code][Qt]
    font="Ubuntu,14,-1,5,50,0,0,0,0,0"[/nocode]
    As usual, you can login with more than one account (multiple Skype instances):
    Code:
    alias skype2='skype --dbpath=~/.Skype2'
    VirtualBox: after installing both virtualbox-qt and virtualbox-guest-additions-iso packages, you still need Oracle's Extpack to access the USB 2.0 gadgets from virtual machines:
    oracle.com: download VirtualBox 4.2 extpack

The most ancient ethercard supported by VirtualBox is a PCnet PCI-based thing which was supported since Linux 2.0.7: I installed Slackware '96 virtual box (a 4Mb RAM Linux server on my ubuntified Surface!) but it came with Linux 2.0.0, so no networking out of the box.

Arrrgh, pcsxr 1.9.92 does not work: "BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)... error_code 11 request_code 149 minor_code 19)". The latest release (1.9.93) has a fix but is not yet available in Ubuntu repositories. Thanks to this bug, I found that the Surface Pro 2 supports Unity 3D passing all tests:
    Code:
    /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p
    Character recognition: cellwriter does its job; install it, lock it to Launcher, and change its installation defaults to:
    - interface: dimensions: cells 58 by 96 pixels, grid 16 by 4 cells, keyboard 1000 pixels wide
    - recognition: 10 samples per character (and you may want to disable English word context)
    Then train some characters and go on experimenting.
    Note: it still has a bug (it assumes that its icon appears on the top bar, but it doesn't...).

Note-taking: xournal works great... except the eraser tip. Install xournal and configure it to:
    - view: one page; zoom: normal size
    - page: set page style to "ruled" (we should apply for a feature request: "larger ruled")
    - page: set page size to "custom: pixels: 1850 x 945 pixels" and then "save as default"
    - options: enable pressure sensitivity (and use the "thick" tip) and autosave
    - you may want to enable "tools / shape recognizer" as well for drawing rectangles
    It would be great to disable touch when xournal is the active window. I proudly remember ten years ago note-taking with a tablet PC and a pen, with my hand resting on the screen all the time...

I also loved that indicator-multiload applet to have CPU and network graphing on the top left of the screen: most of the time only a single core is working (this is why after a few minutes working on battery, I still see "battery: 100%, 6:56 remaining").

Firewall and services: just run sudo gufw and disable everything you don't need. I do not have printers and do not need them, so I uninstalled cups (I found cups only because gufw listed it in listening services).

Command-line stuff: I've been using a Mac for a few years, so I added to my .bash_aliases the pastebuffer copy (its standard input goes to the "copy/paste" buffer) and pastebuffer paste (puts on stdout the "copy/paste" buffer). Good when you work with your terminal:
    Code:
    alias pbcopy='xsel --clipboard --input'
    alias pbpaste='xsel --clipboard --output'
    I also happen to love some logging at boot, so I wiped the "splash" option in the /etc/default/grub kernel args string (but -sigh!- grub themes do not work):
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    sudo grub-install

Beans

The installed Linux kernel supports the SSD TRIM feature:
    Code:
    sudo hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep TRIM
      *  Data Set Management TRIM supported (limit 8 blocks)
    I added a line in the root's crontab to perform the TRIM on the 35th minute of every hour (I read that a daily operation was sufficient, maybe I'm a bit too paranoid about it):
    Code:
    # m h  dom mon dow   command
    35  *  *   *   *     /sbin/fstrim -v /
    It's a Good Thing© to let the SSD know discarded bytes (sectors not accessed anymore after some disk write operation) for its "wearing" management. The first time fstrim will require a few seconds because we never executed it before.

Beans

Arrow Re: Will Ubuntu work on the Surface Pro 2 like it did on the original?

I tried Ubuntu 14.04 Alpha (20131222). It is a "development" release, "alpha" quality (i.e.: bugs and inconsistencies everywhere). I tried it to see if recent kernel and software releases would solve the most annoying problems found with Ubuntu 13.10, but it appears we're far from a decent Ubuntu installation.

To install without wiping out the partition of the previous 13.10 installation, the trick was to move all directories (except the lost+found one) in a temporary directory (so that my /dev/sda5 only showed "lost+found" and "mydata") and then installing on it without formatting. Same trick for restoring another installation (but if you forget something... prepare for apocalyptic crashes and data losses).

Booting and installing required an USB hub with an USB ethernet adapter and an USB keyboard+mouse (mouse is not necessary because touch and pen work out of the box), because wifi and touch cover do not work.

The pm-utils version is 1.4.1-13 (it did not require "downgrading" to 1.3.0, like previous Ubuntu 13.10 release). I guess the problem was not in pm-utils but in the kernel.

The efibootmgr after the installation (before rebooting) correctly shows "ubuntu" (that is: grub menu) as the first thing to start at boot (but it could be due to previous install).

The only funny bug of the installer is that if you select Vatican (Holy See) as your state, it switches to Ivory Coast for package mirror and GMT clock, as it did on Ubuntu 13.10.

This Ubuntu 14.04 Alpha ships kernel version 3.12.0: this kernel release only solves the HDMI stereo output bug and the pm-utils freeze.

The default installed user interface is not Unity3D (yep, this is a "development" release, "alpha" quality, not a production release; tomorrow's another day).

Linux kernel warnings and errors:

The 3.12.0 does not yet handle the broken AMI BIOS "DMAR" thing. I don't know if this has effects anywhere except the dmesg thing below:
    Code:
    [    0.000000] ------------[ cut here ]------------
    [    0.000000] WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 0 at /build/buildd/linux-3.12.0/drivers/iommu/dmar.c:488 warn_invalid_dmar+0x7e/0x90()
    [    0.000000] Your BIOS is broken; DMAR reported at address 0!
    [    0.000000] BIOS vendor: American Megatrends Inc.; Ver: 2.03.0550; Product Version: 1
    [    0.000000] Modules linked in:
    [    0.000000] CPU: 0 PID: 0 Comm: swapper Not tainted 3.12.0-7-generic #15-Ubuntu
    [    0.000000] Hardware name: Microsoft Corporation Surface Pro 2/Surface Pro 2, BIOS 2.03.0550 09/25/2013
    [    0.000000]  000000000000000b ffffffff81c01de8 ffffffff81711aee ffffffff81c01e30
    [    0.000000]  ffffffff81c01e20 ffffffff8106432d ffffffff81fd101c ffffffff81fd105c
    [    0.000000]  0000000000000000 ffff88021fdabbc0 ffffffff81e74000 ffffffff81c01e80
    [    0.000000] Call Trace:
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff81711aee>] dump_stack+0x45/0x56
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff8106432d>] warn_slowpath_common+0x7d/0xa0
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff810643e4>] warn_slowpath_fmt_taint+0x44/0x50
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff81d4b99f>] ? early_ioremap+0x13/0x15
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff81d41e1a>] ? __acpi_map_table+0x13/0x18
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff815ec5ce>] warn_invalid_dmar+0x7e/0x90
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff81d86ad8>] check_zero_address+0x68/0xf4
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff81d86b79>] detect_intel_iommu+0x15/0xae
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff81d3bead>] pci_iommu_alloc+0x4a/0x6c
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff81d4b3d0>] mem_init+0x17/0x9c
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff81d31ccb>] start_kernel+0x1de/0x41f
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff81d318f6>] ? repair_env_string+0x5c/0x5c
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff81d31120>] ? early_idt_handlers+0x120/0x120
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff81d315de>] x86_64_start_reservations+0x2a/0x2c
    [    0.000000]  [<ffffffff81d316e8>] x86_64_start_kernel+0x108/0x117
    [    0.000000] ---[ end trace 6d9bbe62d12e6bb1 ]---
    Thermal zone: still reports a funny near-zerokelvin temperature, like in 13.10:
    Code:
    [    0.870858] [Firmware Bug]: Invalid critical threshold (86)
    [    0.872995] thermal LNXTHERM:00: registered as thermal_zone0
    [    0.873000] ACPI: Thermal Zone [TZ0] (-269 C)
    Another "exclamation marked" warning in the dmesg:
    Code:
    [    0.873057] GHES: HEST is not enabled!
    Some ACPI warnings, don't know if related to other problems:
    Code:
    [    3.203612] ACPI Warning: 0x0000000000001828-0x000000000000182f SystemIO conflicts with Region \PMIO 1 (20130725/utaddress-251)
    [    3.203620] ACPI: If an ACPI driver is available for this device, you should use it instead of the native driver
    [    3.203626] ACPI Warning: 0x0000000000001c30-0x0000000000001c3f SystemIO conflicts with Region \GPRL 1 (20130725/utaddress-251)
    [    3.203630] ACPI Warning: 0x0000000000001c30-0x0000000000001c3f SystemIO conflicts with Region \GPR_ 2 (20130725/utaddress-251)
    [    3.203634] ACPI: If an ACPI driver is available for this device, you should use it instead of the native driver
    [    3.203635] ACPI Warning: 0x0000000000001c00-0x0000000000001c2f SystemIO conflicts with Region \GPRL 1 (20130725/utaddress-251)
    [    3.203639] ACPI Warning: 0x0000000000001c00-0x0000000000001c2f SystemIO conflicts with Region \GPR_ 2 (20130725/utaddress-251)
    [    3.203642] ACPI: If an ACPI driver is available for this device, you should use it instead of the native driver
    [    3.203644] lpc_ich: Resource conflict(s) found affecting gpio_ich
    TypeCover2: lights up but does not work, like in previous Ubuntu 13.10: maybe the issue is the HID_DG_INPUTMODE thing (using a kernel with xhci disabled makes it work flawless):
    Code:
    [    3.453994] input: MICROSOFT SAM as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb2/2-3/2-3:1.1/input/input3
    [    3.454585] hid-generic 0003:045E:07A9.0002: input,hidraw0: USB HID v1.11 Keyboard [MICROSOFT SAM] on usb-0000:00:14.0-3/input1
    [    3.455467] hid-multitouch 0003:045E:07A9.0003: HID_DG_INPUTMODE out of range
    [    3.455511] hid-multitouch 0003:045E:07A9.0003: No inputs registered, leaving
    Another Human Interface Device failed (orientation sensor):
    Code:
    [    3.472525] hid_sensor_magn_3d HID-SENSOR-200083.0: failed to setup attributes
    [    3.472537] hid_sensor_magn_3d: probe of HID-SENSOR-200083.0 failed with error -1
    Some extra mistery:
    Code:
    [    3.579254] init: failsafe main process (601) killed by TERM signal
    Something in the udevd configuration is not tuned yet:
    Code:
    [    3.812478] systemd-udevd[360]: Error calling EVIOCSKEYCODE: Invalid argument
    [    3.812483] systemd-udevd[360]: Error calling EVIOCSKEYCODE: Invalid argument
    [    3.812490] systemd-udevd[360]: Error calling EVIOCSKEYCODE: Invalid argument
    Wifi does not work, as already happened in Ubuntu 13.10:
    Code:
    [    4.597763] usb 2-2: USB disconnect, device number 3
    [    4.597818] mwifiex_usb: mwifiex_usb_disconnect: card or card->adapter is NULL
    [   10.408258] usb 2-2: WLAN FW is active
    [   22.673947] usb 2-2: mwifiex_cmd_timeout_func: Timeout cmd id (1387740121.182604) = 0x3, act = 0x0
    The audio section shows some warnings, but works and... good! HDMI stereo audio output now works:
    Code:
    [    5.770913] hda_codec: invalid CONNECT_LIST verb 5[1]:0
    [    5.771031] hda_codec: invalid CONNECT_LIST verb 7[1]:0
    [    5.774234] HDMI: Unknown ELD version 7
    [    5.777779] HDMI: Unknown ELD version 7
    [    5.779579] HDMI: Unknown ELD version 7
    Bluetooth does not work, like in previous Ubuntu 13.10; funny thing, the internal bluetooth adapter was seen as hc1 (host controller 1 instead of 0), gave a warning, but actually worked for device scanning:
    Code:
    [   12.418712] Bluetooth: hci1 command 0x0c14 tx timeout

First installation: update packages...

Installation went flawless. I also checked that the partitioning had correctly aligned offset (all zeros), using this command:
    Code:
    blockdev --getalignoff /dev/sda?
    The installation of this release of Ubuntu 14.04 Alpha required some 80 megs updates at boot (because I selected the "non-free stuff").

Hmm... not all packages are actually ready (and you may wonder why some systemd stuff is in Ubuntu 13.10 and 14.04):
    Code:
    [  214.430642] systemd-hostnamed[2109]: Warning: nss-myhostname is not installed. Changing the local hostname might make it unresolveable. Please install nss-myhostname!
    I installed my usual stuff, including LyX and TeX and, after that, more than 500 Mb could be freed removing its... documentation!
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove texlive-latex-extra-doc texlive-latex-recommended-doc texlive-latex-base-doc texlive-pictures-doc
    Ach! Ubuntu 14.04 still ships Xorg, Gnome-control-center and usual stuff. I regret that Mir is not yet here.

System Settings (aka: gnome-control-center): I wonder why the "Wacom tablet" menu is not a submenu of a (needed!) "Pen and touch" menu.
    It would be Very Good® to have there an option to disable "touch" and only leave "pen" enabled.

I also wonder why the Landscape Service is there in every Ubuntu install, even if 99.9% of Ubuntu users won't ever choose it.

Alas, mplayer2 still has issues playing in full-screen a less-than-fullHD video, because some direct rendering manager thing still has its "ring stuck"...
    Code:
    [ 5007.575725] [drm:ring_stuck] *ERROR* Kicking stuck wait on render ring
    [ 5011.573505] [drm:ring_stuck] *ERROR* Kicking stuck wait on render ring
    [ 5015.547270] [drm:ring_stuck] *ERROR* Kicking stuck wait on render ring
    [ 5019.545038] [drm:ring_stuck] *ERROR* Kicking stuck wait on render ring
    [ 5023.542790] [drm:ring_stuck] *ERROR* Kicking stuck wait on render ring
    [ 5037.523017] [drm:ring_stuck] *ERROR* Kicking stuck wait on render ring
    [ 5041.532759] [drm:ring_stuck] *ERROR* Kicking stuck wait on render ring
    [ 5045.530527] [drm:ring_stuck] *ERROR* Kicking stuck wait on render ring
    [ 5045.530543] [drm] no progress on render ring
    [ 5045.530546] [drm] capturing error event; look for more information in /sys/class/drm/card0/error
    [ 5045.557215] [drm:i915_set_reset_status] *ERROR* render ring hung inside bo (0x1864000 ctx 0) at 0x186402c
    UPDATE: reverting to the old mplayer fixes the problem (but only in 14.04, not in Ubuntu 13.10).

Hmm... time to build a wiki "Ubuntu on Surface Pro 2" ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Good news, everybody! The bug affecting the wifi in the Surface Pro 2 has been solved. Bing Zhao, a kernel dev from Marvell, has released a new firmware image, which you can download from here:

http://git.marvell.com/?p=mwifiex-fi...b4771009860293

This fix will probably be integrated into the mainline linux-firmware in the near future, but for now you need to add it to /lib/firmware/mrvl/ manually.

However, the new firmware needs USB 3.0 to operate correctly, so I've rolled a new, up-to-date 3.11.0-15 kernel with the type2/touch2 cover hackfixes and included USB 3.0:
    linux-image: https://owncloud.staers.homelinux.ne...63a948d0a15e3f
    linux-headers: https://owncloud.staers.homelinux.ne...2fa5250d5e466f

Once again, if someone wouldn't mind mirroring these to a filesharing service, it'd be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by PointSource; February 11th, 2014 at 09:23 AM. Reason: updated firmware commit link

Beans

So how do we get the fixes for the Type Cover 2 added into the kernel by the time 14.04 ships?

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast