I've just installed a copy of Ubuntu-Gnome Saucy Salamander. Looks pretty good, but I'm trying to set it up it to my habits and note that Panels have changed. I have two monitors. There is something running on the top and bottom of the rightmost monitor that loks like a panel, but it doesn't behave like a panel. For one thing, you can't alt-rightclick on it and get the ability to add Panel applets.
ps ax | grep panel yields this:
Code:
edg@arthur:~$ ps ax | grep panel
 1677 ?        Sl     0:00 /usr/bin/ibus-daemon --replace --xim --panel disable
 3445 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep --color=auto panel
edg@arthur:~$
I did sudo aptitude install gnome-panel as suggested in another post, and it installed many packages. dpkg -l | grep panel now shows
Code:
edg@arthur:~$ dpkg -l | grep panel
ii  gir1.2-panelapplet-4.0                    1:3.6.2-0ubuntu15                   i386         GObject introspection for the GNOME Panel Applet library
ii  gnome-applets                             3.5.92-0ubuntu3                     i386         Various applets for the GNOME panel - binary files
ii  gnome-applets-data                        3.5.92-0ubuntu3                     all          Various applets for the GNOME panel - data files
ii  gnome-panel                               1:3.6.2-0ubuntu15                   i386         launcher and docking facility for GNOME
ii  gnome-panel-data                          1:3.6.2-0ubuntu15                   all          common files for the GNOME Panel
ii  indicator-applet-complete                 12.10.2+13.10.20130924.2-0ubuntu1   i386         Clone of the GNOME panel indicator applet
ii  libindicator3-7                           12.10.2+13.10.20130913-0ubuntu1     i386         panel indicator applet - shared library
ii  libpanel-applet-4-0                       1:3.6.2-0ubuntu15                   i386         library for GNOME Panel applets
ii  python-ubuntuone-control-panel            13.09-0ubuntu1                      all          Ubuntu One Control Panel - Python Libraries
ii  ubuntuone-control-panel                   13.09-0ubuntu1                      all          Ubuntu One Control Panel
edg@arthur:~$
I don't think I'm using any of what I installed, even though I've logged out and in, and also rebooted.

How do I get traditional panels working again?

Thanks,

Ed Greenberg
Glens Falls, NY USA