Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please Ubuntu, remove the crappy apps from default install!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Angry Please Ubuntu, remove the crappy apps from default install!

Hi there!
    I will scream this from the top of the mountain if someone will hear me.
    every time i install ubuntu i encounter several issues that seems that never be solved. there are at least two apps that just does not work as they should.
    rhythmbox: for me, is a waste of time, in this moment, i added a playlist of radio streams but it does not want to play neither one of them.
    empathy: it does not connect to facebook account.....not that i am a fan of facebook, i am not! but it should work! how came that pidgin or instantbird work just fine with all protocols?

<snip>
    in my opinion, at least default app should be rock solid, not something just to be there!
    Last edited by coffeecat; October 26th, 2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Removed derogatory comment.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Please Ubuntu, remove the crappy apps from default install!

You can scream from the top of a mountain until hell freezes over, but it will make no difference. The choice of default apps is made at the regular UDS:

http://uds.ubuntu.com/
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 17.10 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i am very sorry for that word!
    but i think you have got my idea: just search for yourself the forum for problem related to these apps and you gonna find an endless list. it is just not good what is going on.....for every new release, i try to find if these problems are solved, but it seems hopeless.

Beans

It's only hopeless if you don't actually help. Shouting from a mountaintop may feel good, but seems unhelpful for small bugs and feature requests.
    You are not a customer of Ubuntu, and nobody is paid here to listen to your feedback. You are a community member, and we help each other.

What are you doing to diagnose connectivity that doesn't work?
    How are you getting involved or otherwise supporting those mostly-volunteer projects?
    Are you helping to test applications? File bugs? Triage bugs?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    It wouldn't make sense to ship an OS with no software whatever. Also, it wouldn't make sense to ship an OS with everything. I haven't counted the Debian install DVD's lately but last I looked it was sixteen. So far they (Ubuntu) haven't pre-loaded anything with a thirty day subscription.
    My suggestion is to write a script that purges what you don't like and installs what you do like. After all everyone has preferred software. I personally zap Thunderbird because it will mess with my Claws Mail indicator and Empathy because Pidgin is better IMO. There is a Thread in this section regarding Nautilus but it works ok for my needs. That doesn't mean that I don't have Midnight Commander on standby. With a 500Gig HD I usually don't un-install anything that behaves and plays nice. Its your computer fix-it.

@ ian-weisser +1
    rrnbtter
    Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!
    (With Proposed enabled!)

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rrnbtter View Post
    It wouldn't make sense to ship an OS with no software whatever.
    But they do its called the mini iso. From there you can build your own.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Greetings,

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    But they do its called the mini iso. From there you can build your own.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD
    Yes, I only said "it doesn't make sense" not that it doesn't exist. But you are right, it does make sense for someone that may need it for various reasons. The point is that Ubuntu isn't a mini and a new user needs at least a minimal set of apps to get started. Everyone has their own opinion as to what should be included. I personally think that Thunderbird is the better choice for email, I just prefer Claws so that is what I use. It's my computer so I fixed it. Thats the point.
    rrnbtter
    (With Proposed enabled!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

We often make the mistake of projecting our problems onto the entire userbase. We forget that if everyone else was experiencing the same problems, this and other forums, as well as bugzillas, would be packed with complaints about it.

If many people are, in fact, experiencing the same problem, a little research is likely to uncover those reports and, possibly, a workaround.

If it turns out that you seem to be the only person with the issue, then you really should file a bug report to ensure it's brought to the attention of the developers. Otherwise, they won't know.

Rhythmbox is widely used as a default app in many Linux distributions, for example. Are you certain that you are providing it with URL's that point to actual audio feeds, since many stations disguise and obscure those links? Also, if it's only streaming radio you're after, check out the RadioTray application, which does only that, and quite well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Greetings,
    It is possible that a major consideration for default software and especially system software is that the developers be able to keep up with the rapid development cycles. For instance there was a couple of cycles where Pidgin was dead because it didn't have the new indicator. You couldn't even tell that it was open because Ubuntu no longer supported systray. During that period I happily used Empathy. From Saucy on into Trusty the dev version is almost boring. Everything just seems to work (at least what I use). I can't say what drives the choices but there has to be some strong agreements going on in the background to get the stability that exists with dev. It seems obvious that an app that is not actively developed won't make the list no matter how good or well liked it may be.
    rrnbtter
    (With Proposed enabled!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

guys! it is not the fact that what i like it or not. i am talking about the fact that these two apps always seems to have various problems.
    how come that clementine, even audacious, pidgin, instantbird just works with very little issues, while empathy and rhythmbox has countless issue.
    i am not talking about me, i know what to use to fill my needs.
    i am talking about a newbie who installs ubuntu for the first time and want to use a IM client or want to listen his/her favorite radio station?
    what would he/she think about ubuntu? i am putting myself in his shoes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast