Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SNES9X no longer after upgrade to 13.10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: SNES9X no longer after upgrade to 13.10

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    What is the terminal output of the Raring package on Saucy? I would look myself but I'm still on Raring for the time being.
    That's the weirdest thing, it doesn't give any error messages.

Since the command-line works, I'm guessing it should be some incompatibility with GTK 3.8. Is Cinnamon 2.0 based on GTK 3.10? (Wait, it probably isn't or else you wouldn't be able to install it on Saucy without massive breakage.)
    Last edited by nll; November 3rd, 2013 at 01:13 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

For anyone else interested in BSNES and struggling to understand the bsnes-purify instructions, you gotta do this:

1- Create a directory called bsnes in your home folder;
    2- Create inside the bsnes directory another directory called purified;
    3- Extract your roms and copy your .smc files into the bsnes directory¹;
    4- Open a terminal and type bsnes-purify output bsnes bsnes/purified.
    5- That's it! Now you have got the .sfc files/folders and you just need to point BSNES to the purified directory in Load > Super Famicon.
    ¹You don't necessarily need to extract your zipped roms, but it won't work if the .zip package have other files inside in addition to the .smc, like a readme or whatever.

These are very simple instructions, but it took me a bit to figure that out so I just thought it might save someone some time. The same thing works for Higan, which is how the last versions of BSNES are called (it's not in the Ubuntu repositories, you need a PPA or to compile it).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nll View Post
    That's the weirdest thing, it doesn't give any error messages.

Since the command-line works, I'm guessing it should be some incompatibility with GTK 3.8. Is Cinnamon 2.0 based on GTK 3.10? (Wait, it probably isn't or else you wouldn't be able to install it on Saucy without massive breakage.)
    Cinnamon 2.0 is now a complete DE and doesn't rely on Gnome at all apparently. However, it did completely nork up on me and I had to remove it. Hopefully this won't happen when Mint 16 makes an appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by nll View Post
    For anyone else interested in BSNES and struggling to understand the bsnes-purify instructions, you gotta do this:

1- Create a directory called bsnes in your home folder;
    2- Create inside the bsnes directory another directory called purified;
    3- Extract your roms and copy your .smc files into the bsnes directory¹;
    4- Open a terminal and type bsnes-purify output bsnes bsnes/purified.
    5- That's it! Now you have got the .sfc files/folders and you just need to point BSNES to the purified directory in Load > Super Famicon.
    ¹You don't necessarily need to extract your zipped roms, but it won't work if the .zip package have other files inside in addition to the .smc, like a readme or whatever.

These are very simple instructions, but it took me a bit to figure that out so I just thought it might save someone some time. The same thing works for Higan, which is how the last versions of BSNES are called (it's not in the Ubuntu repositories, you need a PPA or to compile it).
    Just curious, but is BSNES better than Snes9x-gtk?

OK, to continue my distro hopping today I decided to try out Kubuntu 13.10 64 bit. Still not as good as previous releases imho, with a lot of crashes. Really sad. I've managed to get it set up and mostly stable, but it doesn't feel as convincing as it should, and I'm waiting for my next crash.

But I digress: the Raring Snes9x-gtk package works perfectly on it. No problems at all. Go figure that eh? A GTK package that works better on KDE than it does on a Gnome-based distro! It must be a Unity thing.
    AMD Phenom X4 945, 4Gb Crucial 800Mhz DDR2 RAM, 1Tb SATA III HDD, AMD Radeon R7 250X [Oibaf]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Just curious, but is BSNES better than Snes9x-gtk?
    Well, people claim it's way more accurate and emulates more games. It's tons more resource-intensive for sure. I honestly didn't notice much difference in games, but I didn't make a side-by-side comparison. What I absolutely adore about SNES9X is the easy setup of Blargg's gorgeous NTSC filter. I got a similar effect in BSNES with Video Filter > Scanline-Light + Video Shader > Blur, so I'm happy for now. I'm not gaming that much these days anyway.

Go figure that eh? A GTK package that works better on KDE than it does on a Gnome-based distro! It must be a Unity thing.
    Oh, the devillish imps of the perverse!
    It's officially a Unity thing then. Damn!

Beans

Oh well will wait then not a big fan of KDE they have just messed too much of a good thing up in that manager lately and the stability has never been on par with gnome.

Beans

Anyone hear any news from Brandon about updating his client for the new Unity?

Beans

I linked to my ppa which has my new snes9x-gtk package, check the other thread for the posts http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=snes9x.

Should we have a mod combine these two? As I just noticed I got to this one through google, and that means many people won't see the newly working package.

Beans

well this is an interesting thread. i was just looking for the snes9x the other day i could not find in synaptic package manager. am i doing something wrong?

EDIT: i'm mistaken, i have it installed but, it does crash when you try to load a rom. i'm using LUbuntu 13.10, which does not use unity.
    Last edited by cdoublejj; November 24th, 2013 at 11:44 AM.

Beans

I would try techzillas ppa if you are not using unity cdoublejj it worked in Kubuntu for me ( it was Kubuntu that crashed lol so got rid of it hehe)

Beans

how long do you think that PPA will last? will i need to eventually switch it back? does that even make sense? why does ubuntu have to keep old stuff in the repositories.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast