Thread: Is there an equivalent to Visual Studio or Visual Basic?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Is there an equivalent to Visual Studio or Visual Basic?

I aplogize in advance if this has been asked before, but I did do a search and didn't find anything definitive.

As you might imagine, I have been doing Visual basic for years (Since version 1.0, actually) and now have Visual Studio 2012 .NET. Since I installed Ubuntu, I've wanted to create software for it also but simply haven't figured out how to: a) find a working IDE, b) get whatever I do compiled, c) figure out where to put it on my Ubuntu system so it will run.

So, is there an analogue to the 'drag & drop' IDE provided by Visual Studio in the LINUX world? I have used (and can use) C or c++ so that isn't a problem. I'm fully willing to learn any other language, but I'd prefer to stick with either VB (or the euqivalent) or C for programming.

Bill
    Been in computers since 1962; Windows computers almost gone now. Only 1 gaming machine left.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Is there an equivalent to Visual Studio or Visual Basic?

Maybe check out Gambas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Gambas was suggested to me by another person yesterday. I haven't checked it out fully, but it does seem to be a solution I can work with. One thing though - it does seem to be in a bit of flux development-wise.

Thanks for the input.

Bill
    Been in computers since 1962; Windows computers almost gone now. Only 1 gaming machine left.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Amazing! I just downloaded and installed Gambas2 and found it to be just what I wanted. Thanks again for your rapid (and perfect) response, Kostkon.

Bill